Water Weight

Options
Question: When does the water weight you've gained turn into an actual weight gain?

I feel like my weight has been going up and down the same 3lbs for 2 weeks now; after how many days do I just call it a weight gain and not water retention? I lose and then gain it back.. Lose and then gain it back...

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why would you consider it a weight "gain" if you keep losing it? It doesn't seem to be any more a true gain than a true loss.
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I don't know.. I guess b/c I still feel heavy even when I do lose it...
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Who is weighing you is the question. If you are weighing yourself, it is when you call it a gain. If you went to the doctor or to a "program" that weighs you, they just write down what the scale says that day.

I'm one of those folks who weighs everyday. I see the fluctuations throughout the week, even throughout the day. I wait until a loss shows consistently for 3 days in a row before I call it a loss. As far as a gain, as soon as I see it, I make a note of it and work back to the original loss number... so example: Friday, Saturday & Sunday all showed the same number upon waking. Monday was down a half pound from that, today was up a whole pound. So today I will drink more water, move more, and be a watchdog when it comes to my calories, sodium, etc. If it shows high again for the next three days I will count it as a gain. If it is bouncing all around, and still hitting that "loss number" a day or two out of the three, I keep the loss.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Question: When does the water weight you've gained turn into an actual weight gain?

I feel like my weight has been going up and down the same 3lbs for 2 weeks now; after how many days do I just call it a weight gain and not water retention? I lose and then gain it back.. Lose and then gain it back...

If your weight is up for three consecutive weeks, then you probably gained fat.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    that is always very frustrating to go through. water weight is usually the easiest to lose, but its also the easiest to gain. carbs, sodium, sugar, pms, even actual weight loss can cause water retention. everytime i'm losing lbs, i first put on a few in water. i know when my body gets rid of it i'll be lighter than before. if it is water, just get strict dear. and drink water like a mad man. plus watch sugar/sodium intake.

sorry, you know i'm a rambler. <3