How many calories do you burn in a day naturally?

NikkiDerrig386
NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
edited October 5 in Fitness and Exercise
Question of the day? How many calories do you burn in a day naturally? I wore my HRM at work and just in my 8 hour shift I burned 1200 calories on a slow day....?

Replies

• mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    i'm told you can't utizlie the HRM that way. :P
  • NikkiDerrig386
    What do you mean? I wanted to test how many calories I burn at work while on my feet. I was curious. I wasnt subtracting the calories lost againt how much I ate......
  • What do you mean? I wanted to test how many calories I burn at work while on my feet. I was curious. I wasnt subtracting the calories lost againt how much I ate......

HRMs are only accurate during cardio exercise, not just regular day to day stuff. also, they're supposedly not accurate during strength training either.
  • Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    I agree, that would be part of your bmr wouldn't it?
  • On the Tools tab, there's a BMR calculator that calculates that for you.
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    On a normal day in the office and nothing else...Around ~2400. On the weekends around ~2800.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    I dont see how thats true if the heart rate is never lost. Like I said I was wearing it as a test bc I work at a high end hotel that is fast pace. Working on your feet burns more calories oppose to being on your booty (lol)........
  • NikkiDerrig386
    On a normal day in the office and nothing else...Around ~2400. On the weekends around ~2800.

Really that seems high.. I heard sleeping at your lowest HR you burn 50 calories and hour... Hmm so maybe your right.
  • AlternateName
    AlternateName Posts: 5 Member
    I dont see how thats true if the heart rate is never lost. Like I said I was wearing it as a test bc I work at a high end hotel that is fast pace. Working on your feet burns more calories oppose to being on your booty (lol)........

The only thing a HRM can truly tell you accurately is your heart rate. The calories burned number is an estimate that comes from using a formula to guess how many calories you are burning based on your height, weight, age (assuming you have a HRM that allows you to enter these factors), heart rate, and the time spent exercising. Now don’t get me wrong, I have a HRM and use it all the time to get a feel for how many calories I might be burning while running, and I think that it is probably the best estimation you can get at home, but it’s still an estimate.

The key is that this formula is made with the assumption that you are actually exercising. If you are not, you will not get a good estimate of your calories burned.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Agree with everyone above - a HRM is not meant to be worn all day. It's not accurate for daily activity.

For your question, I sit most of the day, and on a weekday without exercise, I burn around 2300-2500 calories. I wear a Bodymedia FIT, which is much more accurate than a HRM. It's not possible that you only burn 1200 calories being on your feet all day.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Double post.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member

Most HRM companies will tell you that you shouldn't use it for not exercise activities because the formulas for calculating calories is based on cardio activities. It will always vastly overestimate calories burned at a standstill.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Thats was Just for work (3-11PM) so I burned much more that for the entire day...
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    I wear a BMF and on a totally lazy day sitting on my butt all day I burn between 1850-1950 cals. On an average day I burn 2200-2300 cals. And on a higher energy (weekends, always) day I burn 2500-2800. While sleeping I burn 70 calories an hour (1.1-1.2 calories per minute).

Agree with previous posters above - a HRM is not an accurate estimate of your calories burned during casual activity. It's only more accurate during cardio workouts.
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member

Really that seems high.. I heard sleeping at your lowest HR you burn 50 calories and hour... Hmm so maybe your right.

It does, but factoring in the background information it adds up.

I'm a 22 year old, Type A, Aries, with testosterone bursting out my pores. ;]
This discussion has been closed.