vegetarian struggling to get his protein levels up, any sugg

Options
2»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, quinoa, cottage cheese, eggs, nut butters, nuts/seeds, lentils, tofu, tempeh and of course the meat substitutes (boca, morningstar, gardein, etc)

Oh yes, quinoa! GREAT source of a whole protein for vegetarians. I need to eat more of that.
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I love tofu. A standard dinner for me is half a pack of frozen broccoli, half a pack of frozen green beans, a cube of extra firm tofu cut into smaller cubes, and an onion (lightly sauteed beforehand), cooking on medium with some teriyaki sauce. My boyfriend and I split the results, and the meal is all veggies and protein, so it's really good for you!

I got tired of 'em, but I used to really love garbanzo beans. Garbanzos, butter, and french cut green beans (yeah I like butter! SO WHAT!) are incredibly simple yet delicious. Good protein too.
    Another thing you can do is crumble tofu and mix it with spinach and eggs. YUM!
  • SandraM329
    SandraM329 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    All the ideas below are good. I also found this cereal that is made from Kamut. The grain actually came from Egypt and is now being cultivated in the U.S. I know the name sounds funny but it really does taste great. You can find it in most health stores. It's high in protein. It has a slightly sweet / wheat flavor to it. I've added everything from apples to almond or coconut milk to it and every variation tastes great.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My wife (who is vegan) has incorporated quinoa into her diet.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't even taste tofu when I cook with it. I grate it into pasta sause or saute it up with oil, spices and other veggies and it's like it's not even there. And the texture and appearance is chicken-ish, so that doesn't bother me.
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    that's some great advice people just what I was looking for! I eat some of these already, but most of the rest I will try! where about do I find kale and pulses in a supermarket?

kale is a yummy leafy green found with the veggies in the produce section
    try steaming it with garlic, ginger and slivered almonds and some grilled tofu on the side. SO YUMMY!
  • carlosdon
    Options
    kale is a yummy leafy green found with the veggies in the produce section
    try steaming it with garlic, ginger and slivered almonds and some grilled tofu on the side. SO YUMMY!

sounds great will have to try it!
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Nutritional yeast -- 8 gs protein per serving.
  • vger11
    vger11 Posts: 248
    Options
    inquiring myself...
  • StrawberrySuzyQ
    StrawberrySuzyQ Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I would suggest nuts but also adding quinoa to your diet may be very helpful for you. It is VERY high in protein and a great recommendation for anyone eating vegan or vegetarian. Many of my vegetarian friends eat quinoa on a regular basis and some who are vegetarian who had never heard of it before have joined the bandwagon and got on board. It is a wonderful 'grain' and is really tasty and versatile. I think you would enjoy this addition to your diet (if you don't already include it).
  • carlosdon
    Options
    I'm sure I would yeah!
  • britmavis26
    Options
    You can get protein supliments. Mushrooms, and root vegetables are also a very good source of protein
  • GoodMorningGirl
    GoodMorningGirl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    No one has said this yet, so I'll jump in to add that a lot of experts believe we don't need to worry about getting enough protein, even as vegans. Check out the documentary "Forks Over Knives" which is all about the health benefits of a vegan diet, and includes even a few guys in very physical professions (firefighter, mixed martial arts fighter), who do not supplement with any additional protein. It was an eye opener to me. I am working toward veganism and finding that I feel much better physically.
  • carlosdon
    Options
    No one has said this yet, so I'll jump in to add that a lot of experts believe we don't need to worry about getting enough protein, even as vegans. Check out the documentary "Forks Over Knives" which is all about the health benefits of a vegan diet, and includes even a few guys in very physical professions (firefighter, mixed martial arts fighter), who do not supplement with any additional protein. It was an eye opener to me. I am working toward veganism and finding that I feel much better physically.

yeah just heard about that where can I watch it?
  • GoodMorningGirl
    GoodMorningGirl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I watched in on Netflix instant. If you don't have that, you could try a library, or it's available to buy. It's easy to understand, encouraging, and convincing.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    bump