Switching to Vegetarian, help!

Options
Hi I'm Sierra (: I've been making the switch to vegetarian since summer 2011 i have been alittle of track for awhile but now I am fully committed to making the whole switch. I was raised on meat, like every day and almost every meal had a animal protein! (yikes!) but after reading a few books and doing research I really want to switch. I'm down to one animal protein two or one time out of the week ( mostly dinner). Any tips to making the switch? And when I visit my dad his girlfriend always making dinner with meat in it! I don't want to be rude and I don't have a problem going home and cooking for my self, any advice?

Replies

• Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I ate a lot of foods that had a meaty texture (like mushrooms). I did go into faux meats, but they're just as chemically processed, so I only have them a few times a week.

I would tell your dad's girlfriend that you're trying to make the switch. If she feels like it she can tweak her recipes or you can even offer to cook a vegetarian meal for three. =D
  • sierrajordon
    sierrajordon Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks (: I was thinking about trying some of the "meat" substitutes but now I'm deff not! And I love mushrooms (: so I will try that!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    here are a lot of protein ideas to fill the gap left from leaving out meat:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/403124-vegetarian-struggling-to-get-his-protein-levels-up-any-sugg
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Thanks (: I was thinking about trying some of the "meat" substitutes but now I'm deff not! And I love mushrooms (: so I will try that!

I mean, not all meat subbies are bad. They can really help if you need to transition. ;o I love making chili out of Quorn beef crumbles. Plus, no one can tell the difference.
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's really super impressive, girl! I have been a vegetarian most of my life but not all because I ate meat, until I totally stop eating meat 8 years ago. It wasn't that hard for me because my family are vegetarian and because my grandma was pushing meat to me when I was young and I couldn't understand the meaning of being vegetarian, my parents didn't say anything. Anyway, for your situation, I would suggest that you don't totally switch to vegetarian right away. It might backfired if you have a sudden change of lifestyle. What I would suggest is, starting from alternate meals, gradually one vegetarian day per week turns alternate days and slowly keeping it to one meat day per week or one meat meal per week. Don't just jump right ahead to be vegetarian, a lot of people feedback to me that they tried jumping straight to be vegetarian the next day and they can't even last for 2 days.

For your questions that your dad's gf cooking meat, you can eat it but just take the meat out (unless it's all mixed like Chili. lol) if it's me, i'll brush the meat aside and eat the rest.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    After a while of eating no meat, you will actually become ill from eating meat. Just let everyone know that you are not eating meat anymore and they should respect that.

I am currently totally off red meat and I eat poultry twice or three times a month. A few weeks ago I was cooking with red meat for my bf and accidentally had a taste and I got so sooooo sick.

Just warning you to be careful, because once you make the switch, your body stops being able to process it.
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 20 years. When I go to a family meal where I know meat will be served, I bring my own food. Not just for me, but enough to be shared with everyone. So like for Thanksgiving, I'll bring a Tofurkey to my in law's house. Generally my husband, myself, and our kids are the only ones to eat it, but there's always extra if anyone else wants to try.

As far as the switch in general, I think it's easier to do fake meats in the beginning. As time goes on, you'll learn more about how to cook different types of foods, and you won't need to rely on the processed stuff as much. We eat a lot of Indian, Thai, Chinese, veggie pastas, Mexican with beans rather than meat, etc. It's just a leaning process of finding what foods you like that don't contain meat, and then learning how to prepare them.
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    i did a step down process on a monthly basis i would stop eating a certain protein, i dropped red meat, then poultry, then all seafood, then all animal byproducts i went vegan but i eat cheese again and egg whites now. there is a point when if you decide to do this you'll just have to stop eating it and never look back. I think that if you make your intentions known to your family they may accommdate your choices. They'll be a time of pressure and push back where people in your life are going to question your motives and try to make you or trick you to give up being a vegetarian. at least that was my experience but after a while like with everything else people accept it and they work around it or with you. I dont miss meat or crave it if I did i would just eat it but i don't. I'm going into my eight year now.
  • sierrajordon
    Options
    Omg great advice! Right now it's really easy for me to just eat at least 5 days out of the weeks vegetarian because I cook for my self and I love making salads and pasta and many other things. It's when the weekend hits and I got out with my dad or go to their house. My mom is supportive of me and so is my boyfriend it's great (: but I'll deff try to pick the meat out of the dish, with the things she makes most of the time that's really easy!
  • caitindabx
    Options
    I am a vegetarian but I do eat fish and dairy products although I steer towards organic, free range, wild caught stuff. This definitely helps me to get the protein I need. I know that for me if I didn't eat fish & eggs I wouldn't feel well and would end up eating a lot more junk food and sugary stuff.

If you don't want to eat any animal products then I would recommend trying to cook tofu to replace meat. It can be hard to prepare but it makes a good filler in a lot of recipes that would include some meat such as stir fry or sandwiches. Some people who try to be vegetarians don't eat enough veggies which is a big mistake. If you're a vegetarian fresh veggies should be that focus of your diet. They will fill you up and give you lots of nutrients!

Be careful on a vegetarian diet not to eat too many carbs. That is actually how I gained so much weight over the past year. I ate lots of vegetarian pasta dishes and I ate rice almost every day and BLEW UP!!! Since cutting out pastas, breads, and most carbs oevr the past 2 months I've lost 15 lbs.. so if you're trying to lose weight just go easy with the carbs.

Friend me if you'd like my diary is open and I can answer any questions you may have!

As for your dad's girlfriend always making dinners with meats in them, next time you are going to dinner just let them know in advance that you are not eating meat and maybe offer to bring a vegetarian dish to share? They should respect your decision and will hopefully prepare something for you that doesn't contain meat.

Good luck! :)
  • sierrajordon
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 20 years. When I go to a family meal where I know meat will be served, I bring my own food. Not just for me, but enough to be shared with everyone. So like for Thanksgiving, I'll bring a Tofurkey to my in law's house. Generally my husband, myself, and our kids are the only ones to eat it, but there's always extra if anyone else wants to try.

As far as the switch in general, I think it's easier to do fake meats in the beginning. As time goes on, you'll learn more about how to cook different types of foods, and you won't need to rely on the processed stuff as much. We eat a lot of Indian, Thai, Chinese, veggie pastas, Mexican with beans rather than meat, etc. It's just a leaning process of finding what foods you like that don't contain meat, and then learning how to prepare them.

Do you know any good tasting fake meat? The company's names? I'm kinda nervous trying tofu and such.
  • sierrajordon
    Options
    i did a step down process on a monthly basis i would stop eating a certain protein, i dropped red meat, then poultry, then all seafood, then all animal byproducts i went vegan but i eat cheese again and egg whites now. there is a point when if you decide to do this you'll just have to stop eating it and never look back. I think that if you make your intentions known to your family they may accommdate your choices. They'll be a time of pressure and push back where people in your life are going to question your motives and try to make you or trick you to give up being a vegetarian. at least that was my experience but after a while like with everything else people accept it and they work around it or with you. I dont miss meat or crave it if I did i would just eat it but i don't. I'm going into my eight year now.

Yeah my dad said it was bad for my health and such, I don't miss it or crave it. But I have been craving peanut butter lately (: haha
    But I never really thought of the step down process. That's good idea!
  • caitindabx
    Options
    There is a brand called Gardein that has awesome fake chicken and they even have these fake beef tips that are great in stews or stir frys

also MorningStar has awesome products

Just go to your local supermarket and visit the frozen food aisle.. there are a bunch of vegetarian meat alternatives to try. Just watch the carb and salt content!
  • sierrajordon
    Options
    I am a vegetarian but I do eat fish and dairy products although I steer towards organic, free range, wild caught stuff. This definitely helps me to get the protein I need. I know that for me if I didn't eat fish & eggs I wouldn't feel well and would end up eating a lot more junk food and sugary stuff.

If you don't want to eat any animal products then I would recommend trying to cook tofu to replace meat. It can be hard to prepare but it makes a good filler in a lot of recipes that would include some meat such as stir fry or sandwiches. Some people who try to be vegetarians don't eat enough veggies which is a big mistake. If you're a vegetarian fresh veggies should be that focus of your diet. They will fill you up and give you lots of nutrients!

Be careful on a vegetarian diet not to eat too many carbs. That is actually how I gained so much weight over the past year. I ate lots of vegetarian pasta dishes and I ate rice almost every day and BLEW UP!!! Since cutting out pastas, breads, and most carbs oevr the past 2 months I've lost 15 lbs.. so if you're trying to lose weight just go easy with the carbs.

Friend me if you'd like my diary is open and I can answer any questions you may have!

As for your dad's girlfriend always making dinners with meats in them, next time you are going to dinner just let them know in advance that you are not eating meat and maybe offer to bring a vegetarian dish to share? They should respect your decision and will hopefully prepare something for you that doesn't contain meat.

Good luck! :)

Great advice (: I stick to Alot of organic foods! I LOVE horizon no fat milk (: thanks for the tip on carbs tho I never really thought of that and I LOVE pasta and breads, ect. But Iam gluten free (: which will probably help a tad. I'll add you!!
  • sierrajordon
    Options
    After a while of eating no meat, you will actually become ill from eating meat. Just let everyone know that you are not eating meat anymore and they should respect that.

I am currently totally off red meat and I eat poultry twice or three times a month. A few weeks ago I was cooking with red meat for my bf and accidentally had a taste and I got so sooooo sick.

Just warning you to be careful, because once you make the switch, your body stops being able to process it.

Thanks I didn't know that!! And I'm having trouble with people laughing I my face about the whole going vegetarian thing is kinda a demotivator but I always keep going because I know it better for my health and I want too(:
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Yeah my dad said it was bad for my health and such, I don't miss it or crave it. But I have been craving peanut butter lately (: haha

Bad for your health is a classic - my parents went as far a requesting i get blood work and medical testing done because when i frst did it i lost a lot of weight espcially going vegan for a year - once they saw how healthy i was on paper they left it alone. One thing i don't understand is how people call themselves vegetarians and still eat animals. there are other classifications like Pescatarians - people who only eat fish as an animal protein, flexetarians - people who eat meat on special occassions such as thanks giving and such.

Don't be afraid of tofu its pretty good and takes on the flavor of what ever you season it with. you could also look into Seytan (wheat gluten) as long as you are not allergic to gluten.
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Generally good tasting products: Quorn, Morningstar Farms, Boca, Gardein, Tofurkey.

These are super-processed foods, so you don't want them to be the staple of your diet, but I think eating them occasionally is fine. There's also tofu, tempeh, and seitan, but it does take some time to learn how to prepare them.
  • sierrajordon
    Options
    Generally good tasting products: Quorn, Morningstar Farms, Boca, Gardein, Tofurkey.

These are super-processed foods, so you don't want them to be the staple of your diet, but I think eating them occasionally is fine. There's also tofu, tempeh, and seitan, but it does take some time to learn how to prepare them.

Thanks (: I think I will help though coming off of the meat!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

Really your body stops!! I don't eat red meat, I love fish, I haven't had chicken for months, I don't really miss it, but it would be harder to give up fish
  • sierrajordon
    Options

Bad for your health is a classic - my parents went as far a requesting i get blood work and medical testing done because when i frst did it i lost a lot of weight espcially going vegan for a year - once they saw how healthy i was on paper they left it alone. One thing i don't understand is how people call themselves vegetarians and still eat animals. there are other classifications like Pescatarians - people who only eat fish as an animal protein, flexetarians - people who eat meat on special occassions such as thanks giving and such.

Don't be afraid of tofu its pretty good and takes on the flavor of what ever you season it with. you could also look into Seytan (wheat gluten) as long as you are not allergic to gluten.

Wow! I think your parents went a little overboard but they were just looking out for ya (: and yeah I had a friend that called her self a vegetarian but then she would eat chicken in a heart beat. I just tell people I'm switching right now (: