P90X & Insanity

Options
Anyone else stuck between the two of them? Or anyone that has done both and has an opinion on which one was a better work out and better for you? I've heard some say that they preferred Shaun over Tony as Shaun was more motivational in the workouts. Just anyone's opinions would be helpful. Going to be buying one or the other next week so thanks ahead of time :)

Replies

• bs1981
    bs1981 Posts: 36
    Options
    Like both... but I recently started GSP's Rushfit and love it. Fast results too.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    P90X is geared more towards lifting and strength training whereas Insanity is more about high intensity cardio. What do you need more work on, and go with the appropriate program
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I've done both, but prefer Insanity. The one thing I didn't like about P90x was that you had to have all that extra equipment to complete the workouts. With Insanity, it's just you, the TV, and Shaun T! As long as you put the work in and follow a good diet, you will see great results!! I definitely did! Good luck!
  • Eowyn99
    Eowyn99 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Both are good workouts. Depends of what you want. Insanity is basically cardio all the time, plyo, calisthenics, etc... P90X is strengh training, there is no cardio in there. I began with Insanity because I want it to loose weight fast and get cardio endurance. Insanity is tough. A lot of jumping, push ups...is not for the faint of heart. P90X is tough also, specially because is 90 days vs Insanity 60 days. If you are a person who never exercise for the past year I recommend P90X. If you exercise a little bit over the past year (can do 10 push up without a breath or can ran 1 mile) you can start with Insanity.
  • manvsfood
    manvsfood Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm starting with P90X to gain strength... then I plan on moving to Insanity.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Which one get you to lose more fat?
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    P90X classic program does have cardio. Its the Plyometerics, Kempo and Cardo X DVDS. :)

P90X is full body, strength program and cardio . So you build muscle to help look tight, and also lose fat. Can use resistance bands, but using weights and pull up bar will give better results. (in my opinion)

Insanity is much more cardio intensive, less muscle work. Won't see as much improvement from built muscle, but will see fat loss from cardio. Less equipment needed.

Rushfit is fun to - loving it! Needs some lower weight dumbbells. Not the same strength and muscle gains as P90X, but a decent workout. I use it as a doubles plan with P90X, or on days I am time short. Has strength and cardio routines both.

Comparison of all three:

http://www.acefitness.org/certifiednewsarticle/1443/p90x-insanity-and-rushfit-a-side-by-side

Personally I prefer P90X, and I have slowly added bits of equipment as I go. Started with a small dumbbell set, and added one pair, as I needed heavier. I also picked up a small set of assorted weight plates and two dumbbell bars to give some heavier weights. But eventually replaced those with dumbell pairs. One at a time. Added on a pull up bar later also.

I have done it many times, great results every time, and good body fat drop. Scale weight wise, I am heavier then I look, but clothing size I am tighter and smaller, because muscle when developed is tighter and leaner then fat. Though mass weight differs.

So I look much lighter and leaner then I weigh. And I wear smaller sizes, then I did in the past at the same weight - but when I had less muscle development and definition. For me, thats more important, as I want to look better naked. :) Scale weights not the issue.

Insanity is tougher on knees, so not for me. I am not a Shawn T fan, and I have better inch loss, and body fat loss, when I have heavy strength training added to my work out plan. I have done his other programs, (and other high cardio plans) and got better body changes allover with a mix of cardio and heavy weight strength training.

When I do cardio only, I tend to lose some of the muscle gains I have. Even with very intense cardio. I need a good program of heavy lifting added in. Insanity does not really have that.

An example of cardio vs weights and changes in body composition:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

This reflects my experience also.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I just check out P90x.
    I think double program would be good to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.
    I 'm doing chaleane extreme right now, plan to do P90X next.
  • lindseycox1245
    Options
    I am currently doing Insanity and have 2.5 weeks left. I haven't lost much weight, maybe 5 pounds, but I have noticed my arms, legs and abs gaining muscle. I am 5'5''/181lbs. My shape has also improved, I am an hourglass now. Insanity will give you great results and if you pair it with a good diet, you could probably lose a substantial amount of weight. I would suggest not really looking at the number of pounds, but looking in the mirror or noticing how better your breathing has gotten or how many more of a certain exercise you can do compared to last time.

I don't know a lot about P90X, but 60 days is more manageable than 90 days for me.
  • Eowyn99
    Eowyn99 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There is no cardio en P90X. Here is your answer for the one and only Tony Horton.

Follow the link http://www.beachbody.com/product/nl_477.do#

You do plyo and the kempo thing but is not the kind of cardio that is going to pick up your heart rate.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    There is no cardio en P90X. Here is your answer for the one and only Tony Horton.

Follow the link http://www.beachbody.com/product/nl_477.do#

You do plyo and the kempo thing but is not the kind of cardio that is going to pick up your heart rate.

Plyo will. Plyo is a lot like some of the insanity workouts.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    My heart rates pretty darn high with plyo. :)

And having done the program a few times now, I now add hand and ankle weights on for plyo and kempo and CardioX also. My calorie burn is 500-700 according to my HMR. And my heart rate is at the high end of my zone.

Earlier, when I was in not quite as good a shape - though still in decent shape, I did not use the added weights, and still had good calorie burn, and Heart rate levels. (this was after completing Chalene Extreme, a history of running, working out steadily, etc. - so I was not at a low fitness level)

If you are pushing yourself as you should, you will get a good calorie burn from the cardio and weight workouts in P90X.

Yes its different then Insanity, because it is a different type of program. Insanity is much more high intensity cardio, day to day. P90X has more weight/strength days, and more mixed type cardio Low, med, and high intensity cycles.
  • rkffran
    rkffran Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i completed one round of p90x and lost 20 pounds, just started the p90x insanity hybrid,
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I've done a few of the p90x routines, and plyometrics had me sweating and breathing harder than I do when I run for an hour. I'd say that's a good cardio workout.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Plyo is an insanely tough cardio workout, Just search Google - there must be a thousand blogs bemoaning how people take weeks to finally get all the way through.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    ^ now I don't feel so bad not finishing the last 15 min. :wink: