What do you do for your sweetie?

Options
Just curious what everyone likes to do for their sweetheart on Valentines day? I got my dh card, candy and a small gift, but now I am trying to figure out a nice but healthy dinner with desert for him. Hes been out of town for several days and I miss him and would love to make V-day special for him. He always treats me so nice :)

Replies

• velvetwing
    Options
    Just curious what everyone likes to do for their sweetheart on Valentines day? I got my dh card, candy and a small gift, but now I am trying to figure out a nice but healthy dinner with desert for him. Hes been out of town for several days and I miss him and would love to make V-day special for him. He always treats me so nice :)
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I'm going to make my hubby a special valentine's dinner on Friday. I'm taking Friday off and if I do it then he won't be home during the day to see me prepare it. I'm going to do fondue which we have never tried before. I'm going to get him his favourite beer and a great dessert too. I'm going to dress up for him and have some nice music playing when he gets home. I may also get him a small gift.
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    We don't do anything special for Valentine's day, we spread it out through the year.
  • TROUBLE2
    TROUBLE2 Posts: 6,660
    Options
    Some times I do not understand Valentines day, I would rather treat someone special all year round instead of one day...

I send my GF flowers to her work at least 4-6 times a year, about every other month, and just because, you do not need a reason to show someone they are special right? and I typically will do something nice once a month as far as dinner or entertainment goes just because I like surprising people with fun things :) last week we went to the comedy club...

anyway rant off...

does your hubby like Shrimp? there is a really good shrimp stirfry recipe online i think it was from the mickey mouse family cook book, I LOVE THAT BOOK! and they also have a steak one that is delicious, but the shrimp is much better for you than the steak... and stir fry vegatables are easy and good for you... just pick a light sodium soy sauce or stirfry sauce... if hes been out for a while on the road he might just like his favorite spot on the couch to cuddle in front of a movie with you!

that would be my ultimate Valentines day :wink:
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    This Valentine's is no good for me. My Hubby's in Iraq. But last time, I came home from work and as I walked into the kitchen our little table was covered in Swiss and German chocolates and there was a homemade chocolate cake on the table and a card. I was stunned! He beat me to the punch. I had a candle lit steak dinner planned, with sparkling grape juice (we don't drink). And I'd also invested in a new nightie. It was lovely...all of it I mean.
  • sportsmomof2
    Options
    I'm going to make my hubby a special valentine's dinner on Friday. I'm taking Friday off and if I do it then he won't be home during the day to see me prepare it. I'm going to do fondue which we have never tried before. I'm going to get him his favourite beer and a great dessert too. I'm going to dress up for him and have some nice music playing when he gets home. I may also get him a small gift.

I was thinking of fondue too...where do I go to get the pots..etc...and any online areas for items or what do you use???
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I got my sweetie a basket filled with lowfat protein bars and powder, a protein shaker and a work-out tee shirt from his gym. He got me a gift certificate to the grocery store because he knows I love veggies!:heart:
  • Sara31
    Sara31 Posts: 10
    Options
    My hubby and I are both using mfp to lose weight, so this year we are taking the family to our cottage( on an island in the middleof nowhere - about a 20 minute walk with all our gear and kids across the lake) to go ice fishing...this way we can have a great fresh fish fry with salad and some nice white wine, but we'll have already burnt a ton of calories walking out to the ice hut, and drilling holes and going fishing! A nice roaring fire and maybe a couple of white russians, to finish off the evening sounds like a great Valentines Day for both of us to me!:heart:
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    We don't do anything special for Valentine's day, we spread it out through the year.

Same here!
  • ccano
    ccano Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    We are spending our first Valentine's Day as husband and wife apart since he's in Iraq, but...

I sent him two cards (one silly, one sweet), candy hearts with the messages (a big bag to share with everyone he works with), two big packs of gum (he loves gum), Raisinets, a watch (he needed one), his Guitar Hero pajama pants, and a photo album with 50 4x6's of us throughout the year...I used photoshop to include little notes on almost all of the photos. He's already gotten it and opened it, but the first thing he actually said he loved was the watch. :laugh: Men. So I said "what else?" and he said the gum. lol...Finally we got to the photo album I had worked so hard on, haha.

He has written me a letter for every day he's been gone (he's been gone a little over three weeks now!), which I have not yet received in the mail. But he sent a bunch out at once so that will be a wonderful Valentine's gift to receive this week. I cannot wait to read them...
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are going have a nice romantic evening at home.

I've decided to make:

Baked Chicken (butterfly cut, they look like little hearts!), topped with Salsa & Mozza/Parm cheese (kind of like chicken parm)... Side dish spaghetti noodles w/ tomato sauce with a nice bottle of red wine.

My honey has mentioned lately that he would like to try peach cobbler so I am going to try and find a light recipe (if I can) for that.

Will probably watch a romantic movie and have some wine. Nothing fancy.
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    This year is the first year my sweetie & I have lived together and he works nights so I'm thinking about getting him his favorite chocolate pie from Golden Corral ( I don't care much for it) and putting it in the fridge and having fake rose petals lead from the door to the fridge and maybe having a rose on top.. hah he says he wants a rose..lol so I'm hoping my kitty will not mess up the petals, she has a tendency to mess with things! :grumble: :laugh:

As for dinner, guess we'll go out somewhere or I will cook something which I don't know what...but more than likely get something to eat...most places have like a Valentine's Day special!

I am going shopping Thursday to see if I can get anything else for him...:bigsmile:
  • velvetwing
    Options
    Awww I love hearing all of your stories :heart:
    I would love to have a nice romantic dinner at home.... wine and hot tub in the evening ( kids away for the weekend *wink wink* ) I like the idea of maybe fondue or seafood. Ill have to be good with the desert if I want to enjoy my wine. Maybe fresh fruit with cocolate hmmm.
    DH and I also do little things through out the year for each other and have date nights once a week but I could not just let valenties day pass by without letting him know how special he is to me :heart:
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    We wont be spending Valentines day together this year :cry: The Army... :grumble:

but I got him a book, some candy and a big bottle of overpriced liquor! :blushing: I'm such a good wife
  • velvetwing
    Options
    I just wanted to say sorry to all of those who have a sweetie not with them this year. I am so thankful for all of the sacrafices they make for us at home. I will think of you all and say an extra prayer for all of you and your strength. Happy Valentines Day from an:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: mfp friend
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

I'm with you on this one, we don't need someone else to set a "special" date to tell us to love and respect one another =], that date is saved for our wedding anniversary.
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    We wont be spending Valentines day together this year :cry: The Army... :grumble:

but I got him a book, some candy and a big bottle of overpriced liquor! :blushing: I'm such a good wife

I hope your Hubby didn't end up where mine did. No alcohol drinking allowed down there.:blushing:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Our plans are getting a bit mucked up. We were going to go out for a nice dinner with dessert :love: which is special because the nearest restaurant is 2 hours away. But now it's looking like we might actually be leaving to move back to ontario that day (a 4 day drive) so if that happens, there will be no celebration :sad:
  • velvetwing
    Options
    Our plans are getting a bit mucked up. We were going to go out for a nice dinner with dessert :love: which is special because the nearest restaurant is 2 hours away. But now it's looking like we might actually be leaving to move back to ontario that day (a 4 day drive) so if that happens, there will be no celebration :sad:
    Maybe an opportunity for a sweet little picnic
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Maybe an opportunity for a sweet little picnic

lol, that struck me as really funny, I live in Ontario, it's 1 degree right now but there's still 3 ft snowbanks out my front door, gotta be creative with the picnic idea....:laugh: