Non-perishables?

Options
Okay, so I was writing in another post and this question came to mind. I am in Alaska waiting for Mount Redoubt, the volcano, to blow. We have been told to stock non-perishable food products. So I wandered around the grocery store and was really blown away. Chicken in a resealable bag...that sits on a shelf for months?! Canned veggies with weird hormone laden sealant? Fruit cups that are swimming in sugary syrup? Is there really any such a creature as non-perishable food?

If ya'll have any ideas please let me know.

Replies

• wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I was writing in another post and this question came to mind. I am in Alaska waiting for Mount Redoubt, the volcano, to blow. We have been told to stock non-perishable food products. So I wandered around the grocery store and was really blown away. Chicken in a resealable bag...that sits on a shelf for months?! Canned veggies with weird hormone laden sealant? Fruit cups that are swimming in sugary syrup? Is there really any such a creature as non-perishable food?

If ya'll have any ideas please let me know.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    canned foods generally do have a lot of unhealthy additives, but it's an emergency situation right? Canned soups are ok, but look for low sodium ones. Canned vegetables can be alright. Things like pudding and applesauce cups, Canned tuna fish, crackers, things like that. It might not be what you SHOULD be eating, but in an emergency situation you have to make do. :flowerforyou:
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Also try dried fruits and nuts. Those are healthy! Cereals, too. You COULD keep some low sugar powdered Slim Fast type stuff around if you want to make sure to consume vitamins and minerals in a non pill form. It's not the best but it's so much better than Spam, Vienna Sausages, and <GASP> Potted Meat Product. What IS that stuff, anyway?!
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much...that is exactly the type of stuff I needed to hear. I guess I needed a fresh point of view. All I brought home was crackers and peanut butter.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Also, if you can rinse vegetables you get a lot of the extra sodium off, not all but a bit. Same goes if you can't find "packed in juice" fruits.