P90x

Options
I just ordered P 90X for my husband and I and was wanting a ladies opinion on the system. I don't want to bulk up just slim down and gain some muscle. I am worried that I won't be able to do the pull ups and the pushups as I have a not so strong upper body. Any advice?

Replies

• jtomlinson
    Options
    I just ordered P 90X for my husband and I and was wanting a ladies opinion on the system. I don't want to bulk up just slim down and gain some muscle. I am worried that I won't be able to do the pull ups and the pushups as I have a not so strong upper body. Any advice?
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Lot of people on here use it (also the lady who is on Without a Trace... Poppy something...she's not bulky).

I did it and toned up nicely, but didn't bulk up.
    I wasn't able to do the pulls ups so I used the band modifications with great results.
    Also, I couldn't do ALL the pushups and a lot I did on my knees but got good results still.
    You will be surprised.
    I wasn't sore for more then a day or so, and not too bad even then.
    I did the lean version.

I personally didn't lose weight (cause I didn't follow the eating guide) but I got the look I wanted.
  • aprilann
    aprilann Posts: 238
    Options
    They have modified versions of the exercises for you to do if you can't do them. I think it look tough all's I can say is that don't over do it or you'll be sore and you wont be able to move for a week my other half is doing it and he's in pretty good shape construction worker and that kicked his butt. All's I can say is that do the workout untill you feel the burn then stop. If you don't then you'll be feeling it for a week or so.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I use the bands for pullups as well and they work great! You control a lot of the lifting aspect as far as how much you want to lift. Don't be afraid of bigger weight though! Women are made to put on muscle like guys do so you'd have to be lifting pretty heavy to achieve a bulky look. Plus the lifting is just a portion of the program...there's a lot of cardio and strength training as well.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I HATE and LOVE the yoga workout!
    I hate it cause it's soooo freakin long.
    I LOVE it cause of how flexible and toned it made me! (Goodbye thigh fat!)
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I love P90X!!! I started not being able to do any pullups either, but now I can do them! It took me most of the 90 days to be able to do them. I just modified like they show in the workouts (using the chair to assist my way up and then slowly lower back down). You can do pushups on your knees until you build up strength and you will still feel it!!

My hubby and I have done P90X together which is so fun! He has lost 19# and is kicking butt on pushups and pullups now!

And just get the myth out of your head now that women bulk up. You want the lean muscle and you will lose fat! Let me know if you have any questions about the program. Read the manuals and make sure you are eating healthy! Take your measurements and your before (and good-bye!) pictures!

Jess
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Amazingly, pullups are actually fun now. Before P90X I could barely do 2-3. Now I can do multiple sets of 8-10. Of course, it helps when you get stronger and lose fat weight. P90X will do it!
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You won't bulk up, and best of all you will suprise yourself at what you can do. I never thought I could do half of this stuff. My shoulders look amazing I can't wait to wear sleeveless tops, that is the part I have noticed most improvement on. I am sure everyone is different.