Need to increase HDL...ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My HDL (good cholesterol) is 102 - tested this month. I've pretty much maintained that number for many years now.

My diet consists mostly of fish, lean chicken, high fiber foods, fruits and veggies. I don't eat sweets because I just don't like them. I do drink white wine, more than I should, which contributes to my weight problem - that and my portions. I also exercise about 3 times per week, but less than I've done in the past.

One thing I've always done, is to take Omega-3 supplements. Daily and without fail! I don't know if that contributes to keeping my HDL consistently elevated, but I find that it helps keep my joints pain free. Also, the results of my bloodwork keep my doctor happy.
  • furekurss
    Options
    There are studies linking increased saturated fat intake with increased HDL. In fact, coconut oil (mostly saturated fat) has been linked to increased HDL, even mainstream medical establishments have reported this although they still caution to use it sparingly because of "evil" saturated fat.

This guy is right, there is even a vegetarian in this thread here that does not have HDL, SATURATED FATS are good,

i eat 6 eggs a day and ground beef with mayo, cholesterol is good, been eating for 2yrs

can anyone explain this?
    Natural saturated fats effect the size (increases the size) of the lipoproteins that transport the cholesterol within our body whether it be HDL or LDL. The smaller the particle size the more atherogenic (dangerous) they are and because saturated fat increases the size of those lipoproteins we get an increase in total cholesterol and that's because cholesterol in the blood is measured in volume (ml/dl) and why saturated fat normally increases both HDL and LDL by volume, but not neccessarily by the total amount of lipoproteins.......small dense LDL called pattern B is very undesirable and is what's seen in the vast majority of heart attach victims. The diet that actually promotes sdLDL is a higher carb diet, low in fat and saturated fat, with high levels of sugar which reduces HDL and also reduces thse particles while increasing triglycerides in the blood. Hope that made some sense, if not I can elaborate.

i understand, i just wish more ppl knew this instead of labeling saturated fat the devil. not to hate on carbs, carbs are ok, just dont go over board with it.
  • streetnamejim
    Options
    Thought you might like to read this... its a pretty good synopsis of cholesterol info: http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/ss/slideshow-cholesterol-overview?ecd=wnl_din_120811
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options
    Thought you might like to read this... its a pretty good synopsis of cholesterol info: http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/ss/slideshow-cholesterol-overview?ecd=wnl_din_120811

I'm actually shocked, Webmd mentions that a low carb diet may improve cholesterol levels! Wow. Beyond that I'm a bit disappointed in the slide show, no discussion of particle density, the propensity of saturated fat to raise HDL and increase particle size. Everything I've read suggests it's not nearly as simple as the conventional wisdom espoused on that page.
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options

I'm actually shocked, Webmd mentions that a low carb diet may improve cholesterol levels! Wow. Beyond that I'm a bit disappointed in the slide show, no discussion of particle density, the propensity of saturated fat to raise HDL and increase particle size. Everything I've read suggests it's not nearly as simple as the conventional wisdom espoused on that page.
  • glaucaster
    Options
    I have increased my HDL from about 30 to well over 50 in 5 short months with slow release Niacin, as recommended by my physician. i exercise like crazy and eat pretty well, so she guessed mine was a genetiic problem. I would check with your physician as well before taking anything AND check the side affects of taking Niacin (which is just Vitamin B by the way) as i woke in the middle of a Niacin Burn...it was weird but nothing terrible. good luck