c25k noob

Options
So I'm going to start the couch to 5k training tonight when I go to the gym. I'm going to be doing it using a treadmill...anyone have any suggestions about how to track my calories burned? Should i go by what the treadmill says or is there another way to figure it out and log it in my exercise for MFP?

Any help or motivation would be great!

Replies

• Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I bought a HRM, it's really the most accurate way to know exactly what you are burning.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    BUY A HEARTRATEMONITOR!!!!
  • amberwebb79
    amberwebb79 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I did that mostly via treadmill. I used MFP's numbers for minutes running at a set speed, and walking at a set speed. Just be sure to pick a speed you can maintain.

My treadmill and HRM always showed more calories burned than MFP shows, but I used the lower number.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Short notice for tonight but get a heart rate monitor if you can afford one - that's the best way to track your calories. MFP and the machines will be too high. I use a Polar FT7 and LOVE it!

I am in week 5 of C25K and have been using the treadmill as well. There's a great Group on this site that offers tips for treadmillers - you should check it out. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

I use a slight incline and started slow with speeds. Do what feels comfortable and know that starting it is the hardest part - the program will prepare you properly if you commit to it. Good luck!
  • laurensohn22
    laurensohn22 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I used to just go off what the machine said but then I bought a polar ft7 hrm and I go off of that instead (its a lot more accurate ) it turned out I was working harder than the machine led me to believe . I'd say invest in a good hrm since intervals are hard to keep track of how hard you're actually working .

Www.heartratemonitorsusa.com is where I bought mine they have lower prices and ship very fast :)
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    C25K noobs become C25K grads. Trust me. I know.

I'll second the vote for an HRM. It was one of the BEST things I got for myself. I started my C25K on the treadmill, btw, but I only run on it now if absolutely necessary. I sooooooooo prefer running outside. Just finished 3 miles in the rain just now. Love it!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I go by what the treadmill says. Be sure it's one where you can input your weight and age.