The downside for a poor lady who shed a ton of weight

Options
2»

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Regarding the swapping thing - that won't work, since I gave all of my big clothes away quite a while ago.
  • Katedimaggio
    Katedimaggio Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You can find great deals at garage sales depending on where you live (winter might prevent garage saling). You could also post an ad on craigslist stating your dilemma and see if anyone has a bundle of clothing in your size that they want to sell you (ie."women's size xs clothing needed"). I love craigslist, garage sales and thrift stores! I can't wait u til I have your problem!:) congrats!!!!!
  • scubagirl319
    scubagirl319 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Garage sales are another option. I bought 5 shirts a few weeks ago for 50 cents each
  • kirstinlee
    kirstinlee Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Another site to try is http://www.freecycle.org/. People list things that they don't need anymore for others to take, and the people who need the items email the lister for contact information and whatnot. Maybe you could find some clothes there, and then list your old clothes? :)
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. I guess I didn't realize how bad things had gotten until I was putting on my workout pants (straight out of the dryer), and my husband asked me if I had a sock stuck to the inside, but alas it was only the extra fabric from my baggy underwear. Not too sexy, but it just seemed to happen all of the sudden. I too have been hitting up Goodwill and every other thrift store in sight, which really helps. Let's face it, I'm not buying underwear there, and underwear is still expensive. I have also been tailoring all of my workout clothes myself.
  • MommyLyssa
    Options
    Salvation Army (good will)- My size change I was losing my clothes! I got 2 pairs of pants, 2 shirts, and an adorable shrug for $13. Total
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hi, congrats on the huge weight loss! Back a couple of weeks ago, another poster had the same situation. She ask if any one had clothes in her current size that she could buy cheaply and pay the shipping cost. A lot of people responded with free clothes for her. You may want to put your sizes out there and see if any one has any thing to get rid of for cheap or free. Good Luck
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hi, congrats on the huge weight loss! Back a couple of weeks ago, another poster had the same situation. She ask if any one had clothes in her current size that she could buy cheaply and pay the shipping cost. A lot of people responded with free clothes for her. You may want to put your sizes out there and see if any one has any thing to get rid of for cheap or free. Good Luck
  • CCulshaw
    CCulshaw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations on such an AMAZING transformation!!

Have you checked around for a local consignment shop? This may have similar clothes to the Goodwill, but the plus side is you may be able to sell your bigger clothes for a small commission. This could help offset the cost of buying newer, smaller items.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I can't afford to replace my waredrobe 4 times (because I have gone down 4 sizes). I buy my clothes either from Goodwill, Act 2 (a consignment store), Consign Design (another consignment store) or clearance stuff at stores - if I get lucky. I haven't bought a "real outfit" in months. All my clothes are second hand, but nice. I had to replace my whole fall/winter wardroe from last year - everything was too big. So, slowly every week - I buy something from Act 2. I also went a few weeks ago and bought like 7 things from Goodwill and got an extra 5% off. You can find deal, Cory - sometimes you just have to look. I highly recommend consignment stores if there are any around. They are my best friend.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Yes! I can totally relate to the awkward 'holding-your-pants-up' shuffle!

I can also relate to being poor too. I'm a single mom, trying to buy a house, and Christmas is coming. It will be awhile before I shop for myself again... even at the Goodwill!

Me too! last night's run was a bit awkward as my pants kept trying to fall down.
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your fantastic accomplishment. You must really feel great about yourself ... and you should!

I'm going to jump on the Goodwill bandwagon. I have purchased clothes there in the past and will continue doing so. If you take your time and look around you can find a lot of "almost new" items there, and sometimes you will find items that still have tags on them. I once bought a brand new Tommy Bahama shirt with tags for $4.99!
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    Congratulations on the amazing weight loss!

buy pants with drawstrings in them....it helps a bit. You might still have some bunching as you lose weight but at least they will stay up!
    I agree with the other posts about asking around for freebies from people you might know! I'm fortunate enough to have sisters to pass things around with to help save on the budget but I still have to visit the goodwill every now and then.

What a great feeling though to see all of the things that are too big!
    Great job!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Yup. Goodwill, Value Villiage, St. Vincent de Paul's. or Craigslist
  • SarahBrown1979
    SarahBrown1979 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Two words: Goodwill. ;)

Congrats on having such a dilemma btw!!

^^^^^THIS

I CAN'T WAIT TO HAVE THAT PROBLEM! CONGRATS ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS
  • mochaphobic
    mochaphobic Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weightloss! I never used to shop the thrift stores because my g/f shopped there and all she got were clothes that looked 30 years old, so I figured that's all they had. Then a few months ago I went with my preteen daughter who is wearing a girls 18/20 (she's too tall for kids dept but hasn't quite developed the curves needed for juniors dept.) and low and behold, they had some brand new Justice clothes in her size! I'm hooked now. We go and browse when we can get there. It's a good deal when you can find a top for a buck and pants for $2... sure beats spending $30 or more on a single piece of clothing!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    My work pants are so large, I refer to them as my "hammer pants" and spout off "Can't touch this!" when people comment.