Goals... I set them but never reach them...

Options
Anyone else do this? I'll say I want to reach a certain weight by a specific date or event or whatever and start off great but then loose motivation and fail to meet my goals. Every time. And my goals are usually very realistic. So, this time I"m going to set a 90 day goal to run 15 miles/week and to track my food every day for the 90 days. No goals to loose a set amount of weight but I think if I follow these goals weight loss will be a side effect. Thoughts?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Can I suggest a goal of logging your food every day and reaching your calorie and macro goal every day?
  • thatbondchick
    thatbondchick Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. Anytime I set a goal no matter how easy I never manage to reach them. I like your idea about setting it to fitness and eating goals instead of a weight loss goal. I might have to try that too! :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think that's a great idea! So many people lose their motivation by setting weight loss goals. There are so many things out of our control when it comes to dropping pounds, especially when you're closer to goal weight, that it can be very discouraging to not meet those goals.

My goals are much like your new ones. i don't set specific fitness goals but do try to workout 5 or 6 times per week for at least 30 minutes and try to improve my running pace/distance. I also track my food every day and try to maintain an average calorie intake of 1500.
  • Heather_023
    Heather_023 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yep - totally the same! I've set goal weights hundreds of times! This time I just said I was going to log in to MFP for 60 days and I'm up to 41 days, down 14 lbs... Good luck with your 90, it'll go by in a flash!
  • lep_623
    lep_623 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I like to set goals for the week... like this week I am going to stay under sodium, drink a minimum of 8 glass of water, do 25 leg lifts on each side... last week I made a goal to burn at least 800 calories a day, eat all my protein and fiber, water, 25 squats a day and 100 crunches a day... that way I can see the end in sight but yet it easy enough that I know I can do it if I push myself... also don't beat yourself up if something happens and you cant, for example I didn't get to do my calories friday or saturday b/c my fiancee fell while we were jogging and broke his wrist so the weekend was spent traveling to see his mom (who is a dr. so the xray was free) and medicine and the baby showers and stuff... did I exercise yes but I didn't reach my calories burned goal those two days but it was out of my control... good luck and keep up the hard work!!!
  • lep_623
    lep_623 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I like to set goals for the week... like this week I am going to stay under sodium, drink a minimum of 8 glass of water, do 25 leg lifts on each side... last week I made a goal to burn at least 800 calories a day, eat all my protein and fiber, water, 25 squats a day and 100 crunches a day... that way I can see the end in sight but yet it easy enough that I know I can do it if I push myself... also don't beat yourself up if something happens and you cant, for example I didn't get to do my calories friday or saturday b/c my fiancee fell while we were jogging and broke his wrist so the weekend was spent traveling to see his mom (who is a dr. so the xray was free) and medicine and the baby showers and stuff... did I exercise yes but I didn't reach my calories burned goal those two days but it was out of my control... good luck and keep up the hard work!!!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I've learned that goal weights are terrible indicators. First off, check this out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AggieCass09/view/proof-the-scale-lies-150448

The scale is an awful indicator. I now aim for body fat percentages or inches lost. However, I found so much variability in that that I now go by how I feel. Each week/day I mostly aim to to pre-log every day and to hit my macros, especially protein. Goal race times are important to me also as is doing an unassisted pull up some day.

Whatever your goals are they should be specific, reachable, and have a deadline.

Good luck!
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I totally understand this. It is so frustrating.
    I set mini goals. Instead of saying that by 12/25, I want to be down 10 pounds, I say, tomorrow when I wake up I am doing the 30 DS, I bring my meals and snacks to work so I am not going to buy crap at work. I am sticking to my calorie goal for the day, etc. This way is easier for me and holds me accountable to what I am doing today instead of me worrying if I don't meet my goal weight in 30 days. It is exactly what you are saying that if you follow this, then the weight loss will follow.
  • CathiAnne
    CathiAnne Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, except that I just become bored. I find that I have to set my goals to be more reachable. Instead of 90 days I have to set mine for 30 days, stuff like that. I have a better chance at success that way.

We have a daughter named Sara Beth. It's nice to see another Sara (no h) Beth! :laugh:
  • AmandaR321
    AmandaR321 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I try not to set goals longer than 4 weeks out for this reason. I need constant reinforcement lol.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I really needed this thread today, thanks!
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I think that the 90-day goal is good, but I agree with the person who suggested weekly goals. I would suggest setting a 90-day goal and then check-in with yourself once a week and review how the previous week went and what you could do to improve and what obstacles you found. Then work for the following week on how to get around the obstacles.

Also, you should have a plan if you don't meet the "every day" rule. Will that be the end of the goal or would you then try to get to 89?

Good luck.
  • Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone. I love the idea of setting even shorter term goals such as weekly or monthly and will likely incorperate some of those as well.
  • SlinkyPinkyBunsOfSteel
    Options
    I have just changed my goals on MFP to 150lbs. My actual goal weight is 129lbs but I am going to keep on setting myself smaller goals (145lb, 140lb, etc..) every time I achieve them until I reach my goal weight. It seems less daunting that way!:happy:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    The issue I see with most goals is that they are specific enough. While saying "I want to lose 20lbs by _____ is a start, you then have to break down how many pounds per week, how much that is a day, and how to attain that daily loss through calorie deficit. Then you have to be CONSISTENT. It's when you're not consistent that people end up beating themselves up and then quitting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have been scrawling lines of numbers with dates next to them on scraps of paper for years, yet I weigh exactly the same (or more). It's just something to do; I am no longer under the impression it's going to work without a highly specific plan of action behind it (for me that means incorporating exercise plans including designated workout times, tracking food, planning a weekly dinner menu and shopping ahead, and an aggressive stress-management program). You are on to something tying your goals to actions you can control rather than numbers you can't. Best of luck!