i need baby sicky butt help

alapoint89
alapoint89 Posts: 632
edited October 5 in Chit-Chat
my daughter is sick and shes got a fever of 100.4 and all i was told to do is give her tylenol every four hours but is there any remedies that you know that will help her feel happier and lots better? shes very fussy and just wants to be held by mommy and daddy and it stops the fussing some but i want to know what you moms did to stop this

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Just hold her. A fever means her immune system is working, so unless it's incredibly high (which 100 is not, unless she's a newborn), just wait it out. Let her body do its job. If she feels cold, give her a blanket. Make sure she gets plenty to drink. A warm bath can do wonders to help her feel better.
  • cmgehrke
    cmgehrke Posts: 20 Member
    plenty of fluids, rest, tylenol, and tlc... if coughing- vicks vaporub on the feet and cover them with socks.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,252 Member
    DONT layer her up that helps trap body heat and make the fever worse. Keep her in just her diaper with a light blanket this will help make her more comfortable and allow the heat to escape off her skin.
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Strip down to just nappy, sips of water and lots of cuddles so she knew i was there plus calpol (uk - its a paracetamol based medicine)
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Baby Motrin works ALOT better than Tylenol and it lasts longer too ( 6 hours rather than 4 )!!
  • hojo94
    hojo94 Posts: 140 Member
    our dr. says to do tylonol, 2 hrs later motrin, 2 hrs later the tylonol again, and just keep going... it really does help the kiddos.
  • lys617
    lys617 Posts: 51 Member
    From the info that you gave I would guess that she is probably teething (low grade fever). Try giving her something to chew on, teethers, washcloth, suck on ice or popsicles, if you're nursing that relieves pain too. Hold her too, I mean if I'm in pain I like to be comforted. =)
  • my son got ear infections really bad that made him really sick and have fevers of 100-102 atleast 3 times a year. So i gave him tylenol or motrin . and i would hold him until he wasnt fussing anymore then i would put him down to sleep by himself with a warm blanket. If you or daddy holding her makes the fussing stop i would do it until she either falls asleep or stops crying. and with the tylenol only give it to her if she has a fever ( even though you were told to give it to her every four hours) theres no reason to give her meds if she doesnt have a fever. i dont know how old she is but maybe turn on cartoons or soothing music to relax her. calming sounds remind babies of their mothers womb and make babies happier and will help; them sleep which is good for a sick baby. so maybe try that. But make sure she stays hydrated. i hope your daughter feels better soon, good luck
  • shes 5 months old now
  • ajbeans
    our dr. says to do tylonol, 2 hrs later motrin, 2 hrs later the tylonol again, and just keep going... it really does help the kiddos.

Be careful with this advice. It's not safe for all children, and not safe for babies (I think younger than 1 year, but I'm not certain). Check with the pediatrician before doing this.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    My children all liked to be rocked in a rocking chair and sung to when they were ill.
  • From the info that you gave I would guess that she is probably teething (low grade fever). Try giving her something to chew on, teethers, washcloth, suck on ice or popsicles, if you're nursing that relieves pain too. Hold her too, I mean if I'm in pain I like to be comforted. =)
    she has been teething for a while now and she has never ran a fever at all
  • our dr. says to do tylonol, 2 hrs later motrin, 2 hrs later the tylonol again, and just keep going... it really does help the kiddos.

Be careful with this advice. It's not safe for all children, and not safe for babies (I think younger than 1 year, but I'm not certain). Check with the pediatrician before doing this.
    yeah im not one to do that non stop give meds im one to give it when shes running a fever again or seems like in pain
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    With the fever that low, I wouldn't give her anything but lots of hugs and cuddles. When my boys were that age and sick.. I wasn't getting anything done that involved me putting them down. Do you have sling you can wear her in? That would allow you a little more use of your hands while having her very close.

Hope she's better soon, nothing more heartbreaking that a little one that doesn't feel well.
  • With the fever that low, I wouldn't give her anything but lots of hugs and cuddles. When my boys were that age and sick.. I wasn't getting anything done that involved me putting them down. Do you have sling you can wear her in? That would allow you a little more use of your hands while having her very close.

Hope she's better soon, nothing more heartbreaking that a little one that doesn't feel well.
    i dont intend to do much with the meds but tylenol when she seems to need it but i love this one i do have a sling but she sweats all over me all the dang time plus it gives me a reason to be lazy lol
  • i just noticed her being sick today because she was sweating all over me and so i took her temp called her doctor and gave the symptoms and they said yup sick right before thanksgiving
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Baby Motrin works ALOT better than Tylenol and it lasts longer too ( 6 hours rather than 4 )!!

YES!
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Frozen Waffles were good for my son...if she's in the chewing stage of teething.

the Acetaminophen then Ibuprofen, alternating schedule is to give each set of organs a break, tylenol uses liver enzymes and ibuprofen is cleared in the kidneys, but always ask your pediatrician, since your daughter may have specific needs, I'm a pharmacy student :-)
  • lys617
    lys617 Posts: 51 Member
    From the info that you gave I would guess that she is probably teething (low grade fever). Try giving her something to chew on, teethers, washcloth, suck on ice or popsicles, if you're nursing that relieves pain too. Hold her too, I mean if I'm in pain I like to be comforted. =)
    she has been teething for a while now and she has never ran a fever at all

Things can always change, but you are her mother and you know her best. If you think something is wrong you're probably right. Might be her ears? My little one always liked to listen to music and rock in the rocking chair too. I hope she feels better soon!
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    With the fever that low, I wouldn't give her anything but lots of hugs and cuddles. When my boys were that age and sick.. I wasn't getting anything done that involved me putting them down. Do you have sling you can wear her in? That would allow you a little more use of your hands while having her very close.

i dont intend to do much with the meds but tylenol when she seems to need it but i love this one i do have a sling but she sweats all over me all the dang time plus it gives me a reason to be lazy lol

Your baby is sick. Sitting and holding her for extended lengths of time is NOT being lazy. I used to put a cool - not cold - cloth on my daughter's head when she had a fever. It seemed to help some.
  • With the fever that low, I wouldn't give her anything but lots of hugs and cuddles. When my boys were that age and sick.. I wasn't getting anything done that involved me putting them down. Do you have sling you can wear her in? That would allow you a little more use of your hands while having her very close.

Your baby is sick. Sitting and holding her for extended lengths of time is NOT being lazy. I used to put a cool - not cold - cloth on my daughter's head when she had a fever. It seemed to help some.
    omg thank you good idea my head hurts to much to think about that lol
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Does your little girl likes baths? If that's something she enjoys I would fill up the tub and crawl in there with her so you both can have a nice relaxing soak!
  • Does your little girl likes baths? If that's something she enjoys I would fill up the tub and crawl in there with her so you both can have a nice relaxing soak!
    she loooooves them buuut i have another little one that wont allow it
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    if coughing- vicks vaporub on the feet and cover them with socks.

Really on the feet? I'm sure I will try it next time I am coughing.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member

I think she has to be over 2 before they can take this.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    shes 5 months old now

NO MOTRIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only Infant Tylenol.
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    You can actually give children`s Advil or Tylenol.

And comfort measures. A cool cloth on her head, or even ice will bring that temp down. A cool bath also helps. And will make her feel better as well (less cranky).
  • ajbeans
    Does your little girl likes baths? If that's something she enjoys I would fill up the tub and crawl in there with her so you both can have a nice relaxing soak!
    she loooooves them buuut i have another little one that wont allow it

Won't allow it? Why not? You could all get in there together. Or have Daddy entertain the other one while you bathe with the baby.
  • if coughing- vicks vaporub on the feet and cover them with socks.

Really on the feet? I'm sure I will try it next time I am coughing.

My husbands mom did this with all of her kids and she swears by it! I don't really get sick, but with a little one on the way I am definitely trying it if they get sick!
  • oh yeah vicks on the feet works great. also rubbing babies feet when they are fussy helps them to calm down as well. i never believed it until my was like here try this. and my son stopped crying within a min or two
This discussion has been closed.