Doctors say

Options
That I should weight at max 149 pounds, but I haven't weighed that since 8th grade. So, I set my goal to a realistic goal at a weight I would be very happy at maintaining, knowing I would be healthy and satisfied with how I look. I am not looking to be a size 0 and with my bone structure I am pretty sure that is impossible. I just wanted to know if everyone has their goals set to what the docs say you should weigh or not?

Replies

• JessicaN1979
    JessicaN1979 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    That I should weight at max 149 pounds, but I haven't weighed that since 8th grade. So, I set my goal to a realistic goal at a weight I would be very happy at maintaining, knowing I would be healthy and satisfied with how I look. I am not looking to be a size 0 and with my bone structure I am pretty sure that is impossible. I just wanted to know if everyone has their goals set to what the docs say you should weigh or not?
  • kellya
    kellya Posts: 208
    Options
    i think you are doing the right thing. i am most positive i will not reach my 'healthier' wt (by the charts/statisics) either. even my cardiologist said he would be happy if i maintained 160, and I am 5'4". that may seem like a lot to many, but i am bigger boned and have a lot of muscle when I am exercising and toned. get to the wt you are happy and can live every day and your life with. THAT is healthier than anything.
  • kbirky73
    kbirky73 Posts: 110
    Options
    I just started MFP on January 8, 2009.
    I would say that as long as you get within your healthy BMI, you should be just fine.
    My BMI healthy weight is 93 - 125.9lbs but my first initial goal is 128lbs. (I'm only 4' 11.5" btw) I think once I reach there, I'd like to see how I look and feel, and than maybe even get down further.
    You're setting a reachable, perfect goal, I think!! but i'm not doctor!!!

GOOD LUCK!!

15163.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Mine is set to what I think is good for me. I've weighed under what my goal is set for and everybody told me I was too thin. I try to avoid the doctor. But I think yours would be thrilled with you getting closer to an "ideal" weight, even if its not his goal weight for you.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    If I listened to my Doctor, I would be trying to lose down to 100 pounds...................

I know I have a lot of muscle, so I know that 120-125 is going to be a healthy weight for me.............

The weight at which you feel you look and feel great is where you should be for optimal health.........

I refuse to allow a chart or a book to tell me how much "I" should weigh!!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I think we all need to find what is best for us and what we can comfortably maintain for the long haul
    I came her at 157 and my initial goal was 140....I made it and upped my cals and kept loosing weight
    I went down to 128 which I think was too small for me
    I'm up to 131-132 now and overall think sticking around 130 is good FOR ME
    I'm 5 '7

Kim
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Charts and calculators don't take into account your build...some people are just more muscular than others. Some people were built to be twigs. If I weighed what the charts suggest I should weigh I would wear a size 0 or 2. I wear an 8/10 now and I am 40 pounds higher than what the chart says I should weigh. I know I am doing right by my body by eating healthy and exercising so I decided that charts don't matter!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Several people have said you should go with body fat% instead of weight and I'm going with that. It has me 20-30lbs heavier than the charts.
  • JessicaN1979
    JessicaN1979 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for your input. I met with a dietitian today and she recommended that I get down to a healthy BMI as well, which weight wise is 10 pounds higher than my realistic goal that I had set for myself. So, I know that I am doing the right thing. Thanks again. I LOVE THIS SITE!!!
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Apparently I should weigh 97.9 lbs for my height. Yeah fricken right! Maybe if I want to look like Nicole Richie two years ago! I set my goal for 135 :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to exercise, eat right and lose some weight. He said he doesnt care HOW much I lose, as long as I lose!:laugh:

That being said-he also told me our 'perfect' weight is different for each person.

I shoot for 10 pounds each time. My new goal weight is 136....this will put me just in the healthy range for weight and BMI (dang thing..........I want that .8 OFF my BMI!!! :angry: )

If I think about the realy long term, bottom line, what I would LOVE to be..........it is 125. Smack dab in the center of the 'good range' !

We shall see!
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11 and 220 lbs and doctors have repeatedly told me I don't need to worry about losing weight so really I don't put much stock in the opinion of doctors.

Haha.

I want to be 150. I have been before and feel good at that weight.
  • fatfranny
    fatfranny Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is exactly like mine. I have been trying for a month, and I have lost 6 lbs. How are you doing? Do you find it difficult to lose weight being so short, or am I making excuses?
  • skinnymel
    skinnymel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    this is to "fat franny".... first, you must change that name! how about foxy franny, fabulous franny, firecracker franny.., something, ANYTHING else! we can't beat ourselves up. i can only speak for myself, but i believe in the power of words. i am here on this website because i am sick and tired of being so mean to myself, thinking i look ugly, fat, blah blah blah. i am calling myself skinny mel, i am exercising, and learning what calories really mean. be nice to yourself! i will try too! let's help each other out if we can.
    ps and congrats on the 6 pound weight loss-that is awesome!
  • Rubybees
    Rubybees Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am aiming for 140, I started at 203 and now weigh 180, sigh! with my height I should be aleast 10-20 lb less than my 140lb goal!! but hey I think I will have lost so much and be in a health BMI at that so there

haha, really hard to work out lb's lol as I weigh in stones!!