Joint pain/joint inflmation

Options
Sepa
Sepa Posts: 243 Member
I have just started getting joint inflammation which is causing extreme joint pain. I'm still waiting to hear from the drs what is causing this and what treatment there is for it. Feels like ages away till I find out tho.

So here is my question. How do you (if you get this) relieve the pain and what exercises do you do? I find swimming helps but I am missing my gym sessions because of this pain. Any help will be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance :smile:

Replies

• Cadenpet
    Options
    If you don't have any clotting issues best over the counter med is going to be an non-steroidal anti inflammatory like naproxen (Aleve) or ibuprofen (Advil). And some ice.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Agreed, I take Advil every 4-6 hours and ice any joints that hurt!
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you first find out what is causing it and then decide. I have chronic knee pain and keep it somewhat in check through regular exercise. If you have osteo arthritis, exercise helps because it keeps you flexible.
  • karencalleja
    karencalleja Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I suffer with joint pain daily and I do suffer to exercise especially weights which I miss terribly! I'm at the moment taking Flexi Plus and Bio Astin which are helping me a lot for my joint pains but when I get inflammation of my shoulder (which is very often) I then have to take an anti inflammatory course like voltaren or catafast. Hope you get well soon :)
  • Sepa
    Sepa Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Thk you for all your help. I take iburprofine 3 times a day at the moment but I was only meant to do that for a week and it's been longer. I also have stronger pain killers for when the pain gets really bad.
  • jdteo
    jdteo Posts: 6
    Options
    Thk you for all your help. I take iburprofine 3 times a day at the moment but I was only meant to do that for a week and it's been longer. I also have stronger pain killers for when the pain gets really bad.

I've had this too. I do hot yoga for exercise if its really bad.

For relief, try White Flower Analgesic oil; they sell it at Whole Foods and other similar stores. Rub oil directly on area of pain.
    http://www.amazon.com/White-Flower-Oil-0-67-Ounces/dp/B0009ML8NW

I also peel, slice and boil fresh ginger and drink it as a tea everyday. Ginger is nature's anti-inflammatory. I drink it black, but you may want to add lemon juice and honey if you don't like the taste. I'm not a health nut, but I try to use as little drugs as possible for relief. :)

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=72
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I have osteoarthritis. I spend a lot of time walking. I've built up to intervals at jogging sometimes. Yoga can help too, but you want to do the beginner stuff. The advanced stuff might be too much for some joints. Drink lots of water too.

You have to judge the pain though. I force myself to walk through some of the pain, but if there is any swelling or the joint feels like it is slipping, then I would suggest skipping the exercise that day. Also, I realize that you don't yet know what the problem is, BUT my physical therapist told me that if the joint is making a crackling sound, then the cartiledge is thinning so you will want to avoid activities that cause the joint to do that IF you have arthritis.

I used to have to take two extra-strength Alleve almost everyday. I haven't had to do that in months so once your body begins to get used to the exercise, and some of the weight comes off, it will be a lot easier to move around IF you have arthritis.
  • dsrszs
    dsrszs Posts: 14
    Options
    Since you should not live on ibuprofen in large amounts forever, I looked for solutions other than anti-inflammation drugs.

I added fresh ginger, powdered ginger and black cherries to my diet.

Supposedly, as little as a 1/4 teaspoon of ginger a day is supposed to help.
    I did not believe it would, but since I like ginger and cherries, I gave it a go.
    It worked. Most days, I am pain free. On days that the pain is there, it is much less than it used to be. It has been working for me for 4-5 years now.

I tried eliminating foods or eating less of foods that are supposed to cause inflammation, but I have not noticed much of a difference there.

I add ginger to my smoothies. I add it to soup stock. It is a very versatile spice.

Good luck.

dsrszs
  • frmeital
    Options
    I would suggest that you find the reason for your joint pain if you want it not to come back all the time. Until you do, you can also try natural anti inflammatory instead of OTC drugs as we all know the possible side effefcts os long term use of these medications. This is an article about natural joint pain relief, hope it helps:

natural-alternative-therapies.com/natural-joint-pain-relief/