So with Thanksgiving looming for us here in the States..

Options
What are your tricks for staying within portion controls, calorie intakes and etc, all while still eating a balanced diet ( every few hours).
I've actually thought of taking my food scale to my in laws for the family dinner, but to be honest, I don't want to sit there in front of everyone and weigh out my food. :frown: Any suggestions that I can do to get around that?

Thanks guys!

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Just like we need warmups before an intense workout, we similarly need warmups for Thanksgiving.

In order to prepare, I had a whole pizza on Saturday, Burger King on Sunday, and Five Guys today. I'm pretty warmed up and ready to go now.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I have no such plans
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Eat small portions, drink lots of water or low calorie fluids, chew slowly, don't rush. And be grateful all those leftovers won't be left in your house!! ;)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    You should know your portion sizes by sight. I use a cup for everything. 2 cups of veggies 1 cup of meat. Skip the sauces and gravies as best you can and have some fun. There are lots of sites that have visual sizes for you to judge by. Good luck.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to eat what I want and enjoy the day.... and squeeze in some extra exercise. :smile:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    It's one day, I'm enjoying it and sticking with what I normally do every other day, I won't gain from it.

So many people are worried about that day it it's just not necessary.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I go for a horseback ride in the morning, then come home and put on stretchy pants so I can eat myself sick.

It's one day. One glorious day of gluttony.

:drinker:
  • timingsands
    Options
    I know what you mean about not wanting to weigh your food in front of everyone. I get funny looks when I use measuring cups to serve myself...and that's from my immediate family! Here's what I would do. Mentally divide your plate into quarters. One quarter is for meat. One quarter is for starch. The last two quarters should be for vegetables, like salad or steamed veggies. If there are more than one type of starch divide that quarter in two, same with meat. Eat your veggies first, then the meat and starch. Drink water every few bites. Don't pile your plate too high and make sure you can see the physical plate between each food item!!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I plan on making from-scratch cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing for breakfast (it's a family tradition) ... then I'm going to IL's house to eat until I fall in to a coma. Thanksgiving comes once a year, and I'm not 'missing it' for the world.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I just put on my Thanksgiving Pants and roll with it.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I purchased two turkeys.

One for me, one for everyone else. Anybody touhes mine and they're be hell to pay.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    It's one day, I'm enjoying it and sticking with what I normally do every other day, I won't gain from it.

So many people are worried about that day it it's just not necessary.

What she said ^ ^.....It's ONE day out of the year to be with family...it's not going to break your diet unless you let it....ENJOY THE DAY and DON"T worry about it!!!! Move on the next day and get right back on it...
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about not wanting to weigh your food in front of everyone. I get funny looks when I use measuring cups to serve myself...and that's from my immediate family! Here's what I would do. Mentally divide your plate into quarters. One quarter is for meat. One quarter is for starch. The last two quarters should be for vegetables, like salad or steamed veggies. If there are more than one type of starch divide that quarter in two, same with meat. Eat your veggies first, then the meat and starch. Drink water every few bites. Don't pile your plate too high and make sure you can see the physical plate between each food item!!

Too much freaking worry for ONE day of the year!!! ENJOY THE DAY!!!!!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I have stuck around 1200 calories all week to bank for thursday. So now I have around 800-1000 extra calories for that day and I will still be at my goal by the end of the week :) and if I go over that oh well I friggin love thanksgiving so it's worth it.
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options

I like this idea. Thanks :)
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    What are your tricks for staying within portion controls, calorie intakes and etc, all while still eating a balanced diet ( every few hours).
    I've actually thought of taking my food scale to my in laws for the family dinner, but to be honest, I don't want to sit there in front of everyone and weigh out my food. :frown: Any suggestions that I can do to get around that?

Thanks guys!

Yes, take a spoonful and pass the plate.
  • KendaVSG
    KendaVSG Posts: 147
    Options

This is a fabulous idea... I would add, if its a regular dinner plate size then only use the inside circle, not the rim of the plate to determine space for food. The biggest key I can recommend is to eat SLOWLY, putting your silverware down in between bites, taking a drink of water, chewing thoroughly, and above all listen to your stomach. Stop eating when you are NO LONGER hungry, instead of when you are full or stuffed. Thanksgiving should be about friends and family and being together, not about the food.
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options

I like this idea. Thanks :)

But i'm also not worried about this one day. :) if anything i'll gain three pounds (mostly from salt) and in the next two days i'll be back to where i was before Thanksgiving. ENJOY! :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I go for a horseback ride in the morning, then come home and put on stretchy pants so I can eat myself sick.

It's one day. One glorious day of gluttony.

:drinker:

^lol, I'm with you! I'll get a work out done in the morning. Then put on my nice and stretchy yoga pants and let the feast begin! It's one day people....enjoy!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Just like we need warmups before an intense workout, we similarly need warmups for Thanksgiving.

In order to prepare, I had a whole pizza on Saturday, Burger King on Sunday, and Five Guys today. I'm pretty warmed up and ready to go now.
    LOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!! ROTFLMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!