Tired and getting frustrated by that..

Options
I recently started a new job about a month ago. Since then, my energy level has dropped, and while previously, I was a stay at home, unemployed mom and able to exercise whenever -- I'm now restricted to evenings only. But by the time I get home, all I'm ready to do is visit with my kids for a bit and then pass out not long after.
I keep hoping my energy level will return but at this rate, I'm looking at only exercising on the weekends which isn't acceptable for me (especially if I want to continue to lose weight).

I'm already on Thyroid medicine, so I know that's under control, especially as I just saw her a few short weeks ago.

Any other suggestions on how to get some energy back?

Replies

• megpapier
    megpapier Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    What about working out in the mornings? I work full time too and, like you, just want to pass out when I get home around 6 pm. I wake up at 4:45 am every single morning and work out for at least an hour and then go to work. Yeah, it sometimes sucks getting up earlier but it frees up your afternoons so you can spend it with your kids and pass out like you want too lol.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    When I am not able to go at lunch I add mornings some times too. It really helps pump you up for the rest of the day.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I really have to give you kudos for being able to get up and exercise in the morning. As much as I'd like to say I could do that -- there's no shot in hell unfortunately as I am not by any means a morning person. As it is, I'm usually up by 6 so I can be ready to go by 7.
    It wouldn't be so bad if I we got home early enough, but we generally do not walk in the door (my husband and I carpool) until at least 6pm which leaves 2.5 hours of spending time w/ my kids, cooking dinner and trying to fit in some kind of exercise before I pass back out at 8:30.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts. I work out in the morning when I'm rested and have no excuses. I also don't have all day to talk myself out of it! It was hard to get up early at first, but now its just part of the routine...plus my husband is in bed waiting for me to try to get back in since he has been given permission to kick me out if I try to be a slacker. I have much more energy all day when I workout in the morning. Good luck!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm not a morning person, either, but if that's the only time I can get in to workout then I'm working out in the am. What about waking up 30 minutes earlier to do a quick 30 Day Shred workout, or a few 10 minute workouts? Anything is better than nothing, and it's done for the day.
  • gixy72
    gixy72 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    i am unable to work out in the morning, but i have a few games for the wii that i can work out with on a evening, i go to water aerobics 1 night a week, and i go a walk when i can. not too sure how old your kids are but how about the whole family going swimming. good luck
  • kpoud00
    Options
    Do you have a WiI? I have the Biggest Loser Challenge WII game. You can do only 20 mins if you want Just that 20 mins can you lift you up. I do mine in the early morning. I also find time to workout at lunch. Just give yourself 10 mins a day at least. it will help you with your energy and make yourself feel better that you at least did something!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    you should be getting plenty of energy from your foods; you may consider changing up your foods a bit. more natural/clean will get you the most energy. fruits and veggies as snacks instead of cookies (using todays diary as an example); having a real breakfast (but still easy to make) instead of things like cereal/bagels; as an example today i had half an apple with 2tbls natural unsalted peanut butter; another easy thing might be egg whites with veggies and/or natural cheeses tossed in. snacks might be a apple, carrots, cucumber, small salad, banana, grapes. whatever... dinner might be lean meats, large portion fresh steamed veggies and small portion of sweet potatoes or sooo many options out there...

all your flours your consuming should be whole wheats because white flours are simple carbs and make ur system crash. nothing with sugars in them like cereal and such that give ur body a crashing feeling.

also, water is key for energy so make sure you get at least half of your body weight in ounces of water a day; this will help make u feel refreshed and not bog u down.

ive lost all my weight to date without excercise; you dont need it to lose weight. exercise is simply for toning and toning alone.

edit/addition: eating cleaner will lower sodium and sodium creates more hunger and gives you more of a crashing/bloating feeling.
  • Mix17
    Mix17 Posts: 1
    Options
    I feel the same. Im a working Mum, three kids, no time! SO to add to the chaos, early in the year my lovely partner came home with a puppy. An extremely cute one, I'll give him that. A border collie cross a kelpie. Sigh! After the kids go to bed (the second they go to bed, they are awake when I leave and know that I go), I take Mohawk out for a half hour walk. If you're a bit techy,you can get apps on your phone to tell you how far you go - we go for 3 kms. I tell my husband that its a household chore, so I don't feel guilty, and I am really enjoying the time to myself. It is a bit late, but it also helps me sleep. Maybe try an evening walk?
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i think once you get into a better pattern with your new job, your energy level will resume. making big changes in job/family is hard, and takes it's toll.

try getting up early and getting in a work-out before going to work, even though you're not a morning person, just try it for one week. i use jack3d and it gives me energy all day (no crash) and i am able to do ALOT more in the mornings than i used to. my son wanted to work-out at 5:30 a.m. and i am SO NOT A MORNING PERSON. but i was doing it for him, and WOW i loved it! i think just giving yourself one week to try it, then maybe you could do one morning per week after that, and incorporate an evening once per week, too. that would give you 2 days a week, which might not be ideal, but better than the ZERO per week you're getting now.

with 2 days on the weekend, plus 2 days per week, that's 4 days a week, not too bad! :smile:
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Do you get any time at lunch? Maybe doing stairs at work (if there are any) or going to a park or a mall to walk if the weather is bad? I used to work downtown, and at lunch I put on my tennies and headed out to get a walk in. It relieves work stress, and then when you get home, you know you've gotten some time in and don't feel bad about not exercising later. I'm confident that you will find a way that works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Do you get any time at lunch? Maybe doing stairs at work (if there are any) or going to a park or a mall to walk if the weather is bad? I used to work downtown, and at lunch I put on my tennies and headed out to get a walk in. It relieves work stress, and then when you get home, you know you've gotten some time in and don't feel bad about not exercising later. I'm confident that you will find a way that works for you. :flowerforyou:

This!! Absolutely. I use to walk for 30minutes during lunch breaks. You could go as far as crunches in bathroom stalls during breaks, or jogging in place in empty rooms, if an area is clear (say, a hallway ur walking down) u could do lunges as u walk down...if ur at a job where u sit u could be sure to stand every once in awhile, tighten stomach muscles when ur sitting. U could even get ankle and/or wrist weights that strap on that way when u walk u are working moremuscles.. all sorts of options for keeping a little more active throughout the day..taking stairs instead of elevators, taking the long route back to work area instead of quickest, yadda yadda.

Did u change ur activity level on mfp? Maybe u went from being sedentary to being lightly active and ur so worn out from not getting enough calories since u burn more as a lightly active person than as sedentary...
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    We generally get 30 minutes for lunch, however it being a small law firm, we eat at our desks and continue to work through it which I've never minded and am quite used to from my past job.

I do take stairs whenever I can though but it's not very often. I might see if maybe for just 15 minutes of my "lunch" I could go for a walk outside, provided the weather is nice.

I have not changed my settings on MFP, because I'm not really any more active here than I was moving around my home.