Curves

Options
I'm VERY new to this chat board (I just started today!) and I was wondering how many of you have joined a CURVES gym. I've been involved with another gym before but I've recently moved and literally the only gym within a relatively close distance is Curves.

I've heard that it is more for "beginners" and in college (granted that was about 4 years ago) I went to the schools gym every day and did a LOT of weight training and used the elyptical machine for 45 minutes every day. I was pretty thin but since then I've hardly worked out at all, I got married, I had a baby and then had my gall bladder removed and now my stomach is HUGE right now and I really need to do SOMETHING.

I'm going to go check out the Curves gym this afternoon but I wondered what anyone else thought.

Replies

• jdonahue
    jdonahue Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm VERY new to this chat board (I just started today!) and I was wondering how many of you have joined a CURVES gym. I've been involved with another gym before but I've recently moved and literally the only gym within a relatively close distance is Curves.

I've heard that it is more for "beginners" and in college (granted that was about 4 years ago) I went to the schools gym every day and did a LOT of weight training and used the elyptical machine for 45 minutes every day. I was pretty thin but since then I've hardly worked out at all, I got married, I had a baby and then had my gall bladder removed and now my stomach is HUGE right now and I really need to do SOMETHING.

I'm going to go check out the Curves gym this afternoon but I wondered what anyone else thought.
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Greatings Jdonahue...

Curves is a circuit training program and if you've already worked out at a gym you may get bored with it pretty quick...but it's a good way to start if you need to go somewhere to motivate yourself to workout...sorry you don't have a gym close by.

I like to workout at home with free weights and dance...I don't have to wear shoes and I can blast my music.

Teammate,
    Fat Dancer
  • tishawillliams2
    Options
    Hello, and welcome to this site. I am a member of curves, and I really enjoy it. The machines are designed specifically for women. Most people that join lose weight and inches. Good luck and I hope this helps. :smile:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I have to agree. w/ smessersmith

If you were athletic, Curves will bore you to tears quickly, and you will probably reach a fitness plateau quickly.

I would strongly recommend spending your money on an arsenal of workout DVDs and some hand weights. That way, as you become more fit, you can progress.

And, there are exercise "challenges" here, which I've been using as a motivational tool. Not the same as a real-life workout buddy, but they do help! Currently there's the "Valentine's Day" fitness challenge.

Just my two cents. . .

welcome!:flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I have not heard anything promising about curves, however, it may be just what you are looking for.

Call your local curves and ask to come in and get a trial workout and tour and find out what it is all about. I have heard that the strength training machines only have one resisitance level and you will want to know the facts before you sign a contract and pay a high joining fee.

I have a curves that is less than a mile from my house and after touring it I chose a gym that is almost 5 miles away because there is variety at the gym and variety is the spice of life!
  • kayla_larsen
    kayla_larsen Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I actually went to Curves for about 3-4 months and thought it was a really fun workout. I quit going because I couldn't afford it anymore ($40 bucks a month versus the student rec for free), but I've actually found that I prefer the gym anyway because the weight is coming off much faster. My mom has been going to Curves for over a year and has only lost 5-10 pounds, but she loves the atmosphere, so she continues to go.

According to the website, you can burn between 150 and 522 calories, so you'll have to make sure you working out hard enough to make it worth it if you're trying to lose weight.

Anyway, here's the website if you want to read more about it:

http://www.curvesviewroyal.com/default.aspx?PageID=1003
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I used to work at curves and I used to be a member. I don't think just because you were an athlete that you'll be bored with it. I was an athlete and loved it. The only thing is you have to make sure you push yourself because it's easy to just let the machines kinda do most of the work. Since they're resistance machines though, the harder you work the better your workout will be. Sometimes the workers can be annoying if you're one of those people that just wants to workout and not talk (like I was). It can get a little "chatty" in there with all the women haha. But you can tell the manager what you prefer (we had a couple members do that when I worked there). That's one thing I do like about it, they really try to make your experience a good one. I'd at least try it. It's quick, it's a good workout, you'll lose weight (as long as you push hard). It is a little expensive though :ohwell: But good luck with whatever you choose!

:heart: Kels