Cardio v Strength, whats your take?

Options
Ok so i change up my workout routine almost everyday. I will either go longer, add more weight, change the incline, do intervals etc. all to make sure my body doesnt get used to the exercise and its more fun for me to always be doing something different!

So i was wondering, is it ok to do strength along with cardio or should i start out doing just cardio till i lose more weight then tone up with strength training? Im currently doing both(have been for about 3 weeks now).

I was just wondering if you all prefer to do it one way over another or if there was a more efficient way to do this lol thank you all!

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    It's NEVER too early to start strength training! Do it .. start now!

ETA:: Cardio and strength.. keep doing both!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    You should be doing both - but give your muscles time to rest in between strength training sessions..... If you do all over strength you should at least rest a day or two between sessions (and on those days you can just do cardio) but if you do abs one day, arms one day, legs one day - strength is ok to do every day - but you should still allow your body plenty of time ot rest. Rest is just as important as working out.
  • justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    It's definitely good to combine cardio and strength training together. It burns twice as many calories. I do more cardio though, personally.
  • mrsjoseywales29
    Options
    i wonder the same things so any advice would be great
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Anytime you loose weight you are typically also losing some muscle. Strength training can help offset this. And, more lean muscle mass will make it easier to loose weight as you progress.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

The simplest and most spot-on answer!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Strength train!!!! Most important. Protect that muscle you have so you aren't "skinny fat"
    I think strength training is top priority
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I do both. Muscle eats fat and you need the strength training to build muscle. You also need cardio to burn calories, heart health & improves energy & mood. It's great that you change it up to keep from being bored. Have you tried yoga? Yoga lengthens and stretches your muscles which feels great after strength training.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I waited too long to add strength training to my routine. Could have avoided at least 3 running injuries, I'm quite sure.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Both! If I only had 10 minutes-high intensity strength training or plyometrics.
  • Kslice39
    Kslice39 Posts: 146
    Options
    I read that the more muscle you have the higher your BMR is, which is obviously a good thing. I usually do like upper body one day(like arms, shoulders, abs) and then lower body a different day(legs, butt, back) and sometimes i will mix it up like arms and legs one day then the next will be abs and back, etc. I feel like im not getting anywhere though lol. Ive been doing this for 3 weeks now and i see absolutely no difference...maybe im being impatient lol.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options

The simplest and most spot-on answer!
    I agree, I do both. I usually do 1/2 hr or 45 minutes on treadmill or like today an hour spin class, then work the circuit (specific muscles) on machines. I feel I get a better workout...all around that way.

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above comments: strength and cardio are both important to do.

However realise that you probably don't need to invest as much time in strength training as for cardio.

If you are new to strength training, remember to take baby steps and take plenty of rest between workouts. It may be a good idea to consult a PT (or at least a decent book) as to learning to use good form in doing strength training. Unlike cardio where quantity is often great, quality is always important in strength training.
  • Kslice39
    Options
    Have you tried yoga? Yoga lengthens and stretches your muscles which feels great after strength training.

I havnt and thats a really good idea! Ive wanted to try(like taking a class at the community college) but im a chicken lol!! i heard its REALLY difficult!
  • sheshe32
    sheshe32 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I was actually wondering this also. I have joined a gym, but the trainer has agreeed with what ever i do. In otherwords, at least you are there. So if you just want to do cardio, its good, you are there. I have started and am quite heavy. My thoughts were to do cardio for about a month to get into the swing of things before I get into strength. So I suppose its how you look at it. But im alot heavier than you at just over 300lbs and starting really slow. Good luck, just go with what ever feels comfortable.
  • richiefixo
    richiefixo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    start now......do strength training first then your cardio. you dont need to change your workout everyday. actually it might be counter productive if you do it everyday.. you need repetition and consistency so it becomes a routine and your train your muscles for a particular type of activity and avoid injury. id say change things up every 3 - 5 weeks.

goodluck! and dont forget exercise is only 20% of the journey..your diet has to be on point!

:)
  • Kslice39
    Options
    Unlike cardio where quantity is often great, quality is always important in strength training.
    OOH Good to know!!
  • Kslice39
    Options
    start now......do strength training first then your cardio.

ok, will it be bad if i do cardio first then strength training? i usually go running/biking for 30-45 mins then i do strength training. is that bad?
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Do both - maybe try changing to whole body routines though. 2 days a week of whole body routines, 3 days a week of cardio, add a 6th day of whatever you like (walking as a rest break or yoga, or a third day of strength) when you are ready.

I do 2-3 days of strength, 3 days of C25k right now (eventually it will just be 3 days of 30 minutes of running) and i add in some dance central whenever I feel like it.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Anyone over 60 in here? Just wondering how to start strength when you are 60 and have a bad hip? All suggestions accepted. My doctor said bike and elliptical for the hip,