Push ups, planks etc.

Options
Does anyone else have trouble with push ups and planks? I know my arms aren't super strong yet, but that's not my problem. My left wrist hurts so bad when I do push ups and planks, and it's always been this way.

I'm currently doing the 30ds and JM boost your metabolism and she has quite a few moves like this.

Any ideas on how to strengthen my wrist?

Replies

• katyclev
    katyclev Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have problems with my right wrist as well. I have a ganglion and it hurts to be in that position. I try to do it on my fingers instead, or just switch it up.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    For some reason I just developed this problem in my left wrist this year. I have opted to find different hand positions for pushups and planks. I have a removable pull-up bar thingie that I can lay down on the ground and grip while doing my pushups (hard to explain but it basically looks like those pushup handles). Some people also have luck forming fists and keeping their wrists straight in line with their hands.
  • AngelaeLebron1
    AngelaeLebron1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Level 2 killed my wrists for the first 3 days, then it got better...Even though there are still alot of plank moves in level 3, I enjoy them a lot more. I don't really know what good advice would be, other than just to try to stick with it, I did and my wrist doesn't hurt anymore.
  • lml1042
    lml1042 Posts: 121
    Options
    I'll try that thanks!

I just realized that I posted this on motivation and support instead of the fitness board. Whoops! :blushing:
  • positivespin29
    positivespin29 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    my right wrist hurts like the devil but my trainer told me to slightly turn my hands outward and put them a little wider. it's helping me a lot. give it a try.
  • rochey1098
    Options
    take a wider grip or use your knuckles. either that or there are special push up bars that you can grip... personally i don't see the point when you can just use a pillow but i'm sure some will find them handy
  • gino1995
    Options
    when you do push ups spare your wrists and use dumbbells one in each hand and you can hold on to them and keep your wrists straight
  • lml1042
    lml1042 Posts: 121
    Options
    Great suggestions! I'll give them a try tomorrow.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Lean on your entire forearm to do the planks rather than your wrist - you'll still feel the burn! Push ups may be a little tricker!
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    You can do planks or pushups with your weight bearing on your forearms with your elbows bent. For the planks you can even lean on a low bench.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I am sure both my wrists are on the path to arthritis, due to the poor treatment I gave them when I used to rollerblade.
    As such I can't do pushups with my hands flat on the ground. I make fists and keep my wrists straight and it is all good.

Planks I would do the lean on forearm anyway as I feel this makes them a little harder.
  • SheRa1964
    Options
    I did the plan on my forearm today. Hmmmm I didn't realize you'd even use your wrist.