Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Increasing Calories

Hey everyone- Ive read a lot of the posts on this topic but didnt quite find the answer I was looking for. I think I need to start increasing my calories. Ive lost 9lbs and 8lbs away from my goal weight (17 from ultimate goal - but Ill see how that seems along the way!) Im 5 foot 5 and 157lbs currently. I currently have my settings to lose 2lbs per week and my calories are set at 1200 even tho my BMR is 1525. I did 30DS and now Im running for 30 mins 5 times per week. Everything Ive been reading says to change my goal to .5lbs per week and eat all those extra calories. Is this a good idea....its so weird how petrified I am of increasing calories!!! Help please!!!

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Why don't you try changing from 2 lbs to 1 lb and see if you continue losing?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    You should increase your calories. You may be more comfortable doing it gradually, but regardless, you should up them. You are nowhere near heavy enough to push 2/week unless you want to lose a good amount of muscle mass.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Yes, change your settings. :smile: When you're that close to goal eating too little doesn't work in my experience. Try upping them gradually, good luck!
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    I have actually lost more and felt better eating more and healthier stuff. I also have more energy for stamina during exercising. I was having difficulty getting to 1200 calories and was staying still on my weight loss! Now I am losing a pound to 1.5 lbs a week.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Im 5 foot 5 and 157lbs currently. I currently have my settings to lose 2lbs per week and my calories are set at 1200 even tho my BMR is 1525...

At your size a deficit large enough to lose 2 lbs a week would drop you well below 1200 calories if the software allowed it, which it doesn't. I don't think you'll see a huge difference in the number of calories if you change the setting to 0.5 lb per week.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    change my goal to .5lbs per week and eat all those extra calories. Is this a good idea....its so weird how petrified I am of increasing calories!!! Help please!!!

This is how I lost weight. I'm 5'9",dropped from 161 to 149 in 16 weeks netting 1800-2000 calories a day (meaning I ate that AND exercise calories).
  • meex
    meex Posts: 135 Member
    i started on 1200 calories, never ate back exercise calories, exercised 7 days a week (30ds plus gym, weights, yoga, bikram and cardio) and i barely lost anything for 3 weeks (600g total). This weel i have upped my calories to 1300 and had to stop 30ds from an injury, decreased cardio for same reason, mostly eating back exercise calories and doing lots of weights and i have lost 700g in 3 days! My personal trainer said to aim for 1600 cals and 40% carbs and Protein and 20% fat. He also said if i hit a platue to increase calories for 3-4 days then significantly decrease for a few days which should help.

Im not game enought yet to increse to 1600 but the small increase i have done has hugely helped
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    i started on 1200 calories, never ate back exercise calories, exercised 7 days a week (30ds plus gym, weights, yoga, bikram and cardio) and i barely lost anything for 3 weeks (600g total). This weel i have upped my calories to 1300 and had to stop 30ds from an injury, decreased cardio for same reason, mostly eating back exercise calories and doing lots of weights and i have lost 700g in 3 days! My personal trainer said to aim for 1600 cals and 40% carbs and Protein and 20% fat. He also said if i hit a platue to increase calories for 3-4 days then significantly decrease for a few days which should help.

Im not game enought yet to increse to 1600 but the small increase i have done has hugely helped

Kudos to you! Sounds like you found a smart personal trainer :)
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    I'm shorter than you and heavier (5'4" and 168) and I just started this week with upping my calories. I set my goal to lose 0.5 lb per week and I am eating back some of my exercise calories. I plan to eat them all back if I really feel hungry. I'm a little nervous, but I'm also not nearly so hungry all the time! This is a huge relief and I think I will be more likely to stay with the program and not go insane and pig out on something really fattening, just because I was always so hungry!