American friends help? How can I make gumbo or jambalaya?

Options
bexominglex
bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
I like spicy food and I don't mind cooking, but I like easier recipes (I haven't done that much cooking in my life). I have never actually eaten gumbo or jambalaya (I live in British Columbia). Meat is sort of expensive where I live (well, I have a limited budget), but as long as the meat or seafood doesn't have to be specific, I could maybe substitute things?

Could anyone write me out an easy to make recipe for jambalaya (creole or cajun, they both look good) or some sort of gumbo, or do you know of a good link to any of these recipes online?

What interests me about these dishes is that they seem filling, like something I could make a lot of at one time, and of course, they would be a new thing for me.

Thanks. :)

Replies

• jenny8902
    jenny8902 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My sister uses the zatarans box mixes for gumbo and jambalaya. She cuts up chicken breast to add and dices summer sausage to put in both. She fries the summer sausage in a pan for a bit first. Both are really yummy and spicy. Really easy to make as well.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this yet, but here's a recipe that was in the November issue of Cooking Light magazine that I had bookmarked:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-sausage-jambalaya-50400000116715/
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorites that I got off of an Uncle Ben's rice box and then found online. Click on each section to expand it. Really easy to make. Enjoy!

http://www.unclebens.com/Recipe/Detail?r_id=3751
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    My sister uses the zatarans box mixes for gumbo and jambalaya. She cuts up chicken breast to add and dices summer sausage to put in both. She fries the summer sausage in a pan for a bit first. Both are really yummy and spicy. Really easy to make as well.

Actually if your have limited means, this is a very good substitute for the real thing! There is actually a jarred version of gumbo by "Cookwell & Company" that isn't too bad either. You just add chicken, shrimp and andouille sausage to it and serve over rice.

But there is nothing like the real stuff.... Just be prepared for a long cooking experience! LOL
  • bexominglex
    bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the recipes, I will check them out. As for Zataran's, I have seen commercials for that food on American stations but I don't think I have ever seen it in the grocery store. :)I have seen Uncle Ben's and Knorr sidekicks stuff. :)