Sweet potato casserole recipe needed!

Options
So I am in charge of sweet potato casserole this year, and I have been really looking for a traditional sweet potato casserole recipe, my family still wants the marshmellows and pecans, but i want to make it as low calorie and healthy as possible with still tasting good. Recipes please?! :)

Replies

• kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I made a sweet potato casserole for work the other day and it was a huge hit...because I didn't put too much stuff in it. I used total 1/4 cup white sugar in the mashed potatoes (I think I used 5 potatoes?), with about 2 tbsp butter. In the topping, I halved everything it said to (butter, brown sugar, pecans). I left out the marshmallows because I personally think that's pretty weird (more sugar on top of sweet potatoes? Unneccessary!), but you could always just reduce the numbers that a recipe calls for rather than piling them on, which I've seen people do.

Sweet potato casserole is super simple, because sweet potatoes are lovely on their own and so adding sugar etc is just however much you feel like adding! Play around with some measurements on paper (or measure them out to visualize it), and when you think you have enough to make it healthier yet still pleasing for you and your fam, it'll come out great. Also it's Thanksgiving, indulge a little bit!

Can you tell that I don't follow recipes very strictly? Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!
  • Snakey74
    Snakey74 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    This is my mom's grated sweet potato pudding. It is awesome!

2 cups raw grated sweet potato
    1.5 cups sugar
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 tablespoons margarine
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 can evaporated milk

Mix all together and bake in casserole dish at 350 for 45 minutes.

And this is her sweet potato casserole. It is even better!!

3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup butter, melted
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/3 cup milk

Topping:
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup all purpose flour
    2.5 tablespoons melted butter
    1/2 cup chopped nuts

Mix ingredients well and pour into casserole dish. Combine topping ingredients and cover sweet potato mixture. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options

And this is her sweet potato casserole. It is even better!!

3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup butter, melted
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/3 cup milk

Topping:
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup all purpose flour
    2.5 tablespoons melted butter
    1/2 cup chopped nuts

Mix ingredients well and pour into casserole dish. Combine topping ingredients and cover sweet potato mixture. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

This is basically the recipe I used, but used 1/4cup sugar instead of 1 cup, I used 2 tbsp of butter instead of 1/2 cup, used fat-free milk. Everything else is kind of necessary for flavor and texture, but you can definitely cut back on a few things without compromising the flavor. You won't need a lot of sugar in your potatoes if you have marshmallows on top, don't forget that! :]
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I do easy!... chop up some sweet potatoes into 1 inch chunks and toss them in a casserole dish. Add some chunks of cold butter here and there. Sprinkle some brown sugar (to taste), cinnamon and nutmeg over the top (add pecans if you wish). Add about 1/2 cup water in the bottom. Cover with foil and put it in the oven until the sweet potatoes are tender. They will be soft enough to mash or if you wish you can "toast" the top of the potato chunks under the broiler for a few minutes. You can even add marshmallows to half of it when it is under the broiler.
  • shadygardener
    shadygardener Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know Thanksgiving is over, but I made my traditional sweet potato souffle with a few changes so I could eat it. (I'm on Cycle 2 of the 17 day diet.) I used 4 medium sized fresh baked sweet potatoes and beat in 2 eggs, about 4 tablespoons of Truvia (which I think was a little bit too much), skim milk, vanilla, ground flax seeds, and cinnamon. Poured that into a casserole dish sprayed with butter flavored cooking spray. Then I topped it with meringue made with Truvia instead of sugar. It tasted as good as the real thing except I missed the pecans which I cannot have on this diet. The problem is that I don't know how to calculate the calories in this version. Do you all know how I can do that? I guess I could try to calculate the total calories and then divide that by how many portions I can get from the dish?