Organic Baby Spinach

Options
I bought a big thing of Organic Baby Spinach (RAW) at Walmart. According to the label, I can eat the whole thing (4.5 cups!!!) and it would only 20 calories (the serving size is 4.5 cups...:o..) I love love raw Spinach so I can't wait to eat it for lunch tomorrow. I am going to eat it with a light drizzle of Kraft Raspberry Vinaigrette (less then 30 calories and low in fat) and fresh blueberries. I already logged it and it will only be 121 calories for 2 cups plus dressing and fruit!

I just wanted to post this in case someone is looking for a light lunch idea. I also love Spinach with sliced Banana. But there is so much you can do with Spinach since it's sooo low in calories (Note: I do NOT like cooked Spinach so if you have not tried raw spinach before..you might be surprised on how yummy it is even if you don't like cooked)

Replies

• shesblossoming
    Options
    I've been putting baby spinach in everything as of late. Wraps, sandwiches, salads, lasagna, meatballs, meatloaf... EVERYTHING. I love it so. And I agree, it's a great low calorie option.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love it! I buy the huge containers as well :D I put it on everything! You can steam it in the microwave with a little garlic and salt- YUM :D
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I use baby spinach daily and the one I use is 20 calories per two cups. Seems odd that it would be so different.
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been eating spinach in at least two meals a day. I ALWAYS have 2 cups of spinach in my breakfast (whether it's a protein smoothie or scrambled eggs), and usually 2-3 cups at lunch and/or dinner. I really love vegetables!

Spinach goes lovely with just about everything!
  • mandydanyele
    Options
    Interesting. I use baby spinach daily and the one I use is 20 calories per two cups. Seems odd that it would be so different.

Not really sure :/ it says it right on the label on the package because I checked when I got home. It's this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/marketplace-organic-baby-spinach-14075930
  • wolfchild59
    Options
    What's it say for the equivalent weight? Cuz the one I use the single serving size is 85g and so I always weigh mine out to the gram and enter it using that measurement instead of a volume measurement. So maybe there's a volume difference since my 85g does typically look like it'd have to be a packed two cups. (one of the many reasons I prefer to go by weight) :)

Also, a total side note, but you should check the FDA database or someplace like nutritiondata and find the approximate potassium amount. Spinach is an excellent resource for potassium an usually has somewhere around 500mg or so per 85g depending on the leaf type. A lot of folks struggle with meeting potassium goals and I think a lot of it has to do with so many companies leaving the info off the labels. I hate getting products with spinach or tomatoes in them that don't list it cuz I know I'm getting some sort of worthwhile amount. heh
  • mandydanyele
    Options
    85g for 4.5 cups so I don't really understand :/ maybe yours are bigger? I don't know.
  • wolfchild59
    Options
    Nah, just another reason to always trust weight over volume measurements. :)
  • wolfchild59
    Options
    I actually happened to be at Wal-Mart last night (I realized I needed black socks and it was 11:30pm, whatcha gonna do? lol)

Anyway, on a whim, I swung by the produce department. Double check your package, cuz if it's the same one I saw then the label is misleading. It says 20 for 85g, which is accurate based on my experience. Then they say that there is one serving per package. But the actual weight for the whole package is 142g, which is another almost 3/4 of a serving size.

Thankfully, with spinach, it's only a difference of 14 calories, but just thought I'd give you a heads up to double check. :)