Regarding "This is why you're fat"

Options

Replies

• lisapisa81
    lisapisa81 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    sorry this is off topic, but i just saw the "this is why" website for the first time today and i can verify that the garbage plate is not over exaggerated, it is in fact very real.

i went to school in rochester, ny and the garbage plate is the quintessential staple of the city. it was invented by a place called nick tahou's, but pretty much every diner in the city has their own version (usually called trash plates or just plates).

i used to get one about once a month while i went to school there and yes it sounds disgusting but in actuality is delectable. good thing i don't live there anymore though, because someone did a nutritional analysis of the cheeseburger version once, and it clocked in at 3500 calories! an entire pound!

i still get one every time i go back (can't eat the whole thing though). again sorry for going off topic, i just had to reminisce a little.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    okay so I went and had a look at the website. it is supposed to be the most exxaggerated, most extreme examples of over-the-top foods. Most of those things would never be encountered by a regular person on a regular day (as long as they weren't going to a fair)

all that said, I did think the snickers pie looked tempting. But now, I would have a few bites, then make sure to add to my workout so it didn't blow my efforts.

lots of the other stuff did seem very gross. especially baconnaise. ugh. I think (i hope) it was a joke.
  • RainbowNtheWaterfall
    Options
    :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Now I don't feel so bad about the things that I eat from time to time...wonder how many calories are those combinations?
  • pdxmomof2
    Options
    I just went on and looked. I agree that these are meant to be extreme and definately not an every day occurance by any means what so ever.

I can say that 2 blocks away from my house we have a wings place that serves deep fried pickles, deep fried twinkies and deep fried snickers. I have tried all but that is not why I am fat. We will encounter these items. Most of us will never try them and some of us will.

I personally would love to try the deep fried cheesecake on a stick. I am a sucker for cheesecake and always will be. I dont eat it right now but when I get to goal weight I will certainly have it on special occasions....it will not be the reason I am fat though! Over eating is why we are fat! Someone else said it clearly.....calories in, calories out!
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I just went on and looked. I agree that these are meant to be extreme and definately not an every day occurance by any means what so ever.

I can say that 2 blocks away from my house we have a wings place that serves deep fried pickles, deep fried twinkies and deep fried snickers. I have tried all but that is not why I am fat. We will encounter these items. Most of us will never try them and some of us will.

I personally would love to try the deep fried cheesecake on a stick. I am a sucker for cheesecake and always will be. I dont eat it right now but when I get to goal weight I will certainly have it on special occasions....it will not be the reason I am fat though! Over eating is why we are fat! Someone else said it clearly.....calories in, calories out!

I can guarantee that these aren't the reasons I am fat! I've never eaten any of those things....they just don't look appetizing to me. HOWEVER, you give me a glass or two or three of red wine, some cheese, some bread and some chocolate...and you can see what's giving me my beautiful celulite texture all over my butt & thighs!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Bwahahahahaha

I'm with you, Wolfena. I couldn't see this link at work today, so I'm seeing it for the first time now. Some of those dishes don't appeal to me because I don't particularly like meat or burgers, but gimme a deep fried candy bar or chilli cheese fries anyday!!! I have to fight off those foods like mad, or portion control. I was definitely fat because of an emotional need I choked with those foods!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    LOL those are gross because they're putting too many good things together to create a big greasy pile of yuk! I have had fried mac and cheese, fried pickles, fried green beans, and a fried Oreo. They were all really tasty. I would like to try a fried PBJ sandwich and a fried Snickers bar.
    I don't eat junk food anymore because it makes my stomach hurt and usually has a nasty aftertaste. But I did eat some Ben & Jerry's last night. I got a regular with two different flavors and walked the whole time I ate it. Moderation is the reason I'm not fat even though I do like some junk food.
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    I still like a good hamburger, but I can pass on the cardboard stuff that McD sells as food. (Plus their meat is the lowest grade for human consumption - no thanks.)

Actually, the lowest grade meats approved for human consumption are rejected by the fast food chains and sent instead to public schools and the military. Just FYI... :sick:

BTW, I found more than one of those foods quite appetizing... I think the quadruple bacon fatty melt or whatever it was called looks delicious... but I'd think long and hard about taking a bite of that now! Never would I try the bacon donuts or the bacon chocolate chip cookies though... but I do know many people that would!!
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    LOL those are gross because they're putting too many good things together to create a big greasy pile of yuk! I have had fried mac and cheese, fried pickles, fried green beans, and a fried Oreo. They were all really tasty. I would like to try a fried PBJ sandwich and a fried Snickers bar.
    I don't eat junk food anymore because it makes my stomach hurt and usually has a nasty aftertaste. But I did eat some Ben & Jerry's last night. I got a regular with two different flavors and walked the whole time I ate it. Moderation is the reason I'm not fat even though I do like some junk food.

:laugh: I guess I'm just strange...on the rare occasion I have deep foods, it's like french fries, calamari, onions, zucchini, shrimp rolls...the typical stuff! I've never been one to go for the "Fair Deep-fried Favorites!" Although, I do admit, my favorite "fair fare" is the deep fried egg roll with sweet & sour sauce!!! YUMMO!!! (But I only go to the fair about once every 5 years or so, so no worries about over indulging with egg rolls)! LOL!!!:laugh: I might try the deep fried Snickers bar though...but NOT the deep-fried Coca-Cola...I mean, I do have my priorities!!!! (You know, soda is bad for the teeth, right???) HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh:
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I hope no one was offended by me titling that thread the way I did. Like kerrilucko said, it was the title of the website. I saw it on perez and just thought it was weird/interesting/funny and wanted to share. I wasn't implying that if you're fat then you must eat those foods because I know I never have. Jeez, I've always felt sick after having the bacon and sausage at Denny's let alone a 'garbage plate' :laugh: . I just thought some people would get a kick out of it. :ohwell:
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The only thing I am a sucker for is regular old oreos......the rest is gross. And honestly I didn't get fat that way......I got fat because I didn't eat enough calories (900 average a day) and didn't exercise either. I will admit to the occasional binge, but generally I ate well...so I thought.

GO GREEN!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I hope no one was offended by me titling that thread the way I did. Like kerrilucko said, it was the title of the website. I saw it on perez and just thought it was weird/interesting/funny and wanted to share. I wasn't implying that if you're fat then you must eat those foods because I know I never have. Jeez, I've always felt sick after having the bacon and sausage at Denny's let alone a 'garbage plate' :laugh: . I just thought some people would get a kick out of it. :ohwell:
    Hey it was the title of the article er, um, gross food pics:laugh: Didn't offend me:flowerforyou:

FC:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Gonna whip up a batch of them there yummmmmy lookin low cal bacon chocolate chip cookies Who's with ME?:sick: :laugh: :yawn: <~ way past my bedtime, I'm getting very silly now:tongue:
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    So...Im from Canada and when we went to visit scotland about 3 years ago, we found a shop that sold deep friend mars bars...purely for being on vacation and HAVING to say we had one...we bought 2 to split between like 6 of us, we all took little bites and I will admit it was one of the most disgustingly delicious thing I'd ever eaten. I could only have about 3 bites because it was sooo rich my stomach hurt, and this was BEFORE I tried to eat healthy. Anyways, it was an experience...hahahaha.....but once in my lifetime is enough!!! :)
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Well, maybe it's just me but that Double Bacon Hamburger looked good!:laugh:
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's me, but I find the kick-off statement to this thread mean spirited. The pictures on there were grossly over-exaggerated and I know the average obese person does not chow down on corndog pizza for every meal. As a matter of fact, I think these photos and the heading that accompanies it, just goes on to further stereotype the overweight and obese culture that made me feel so bad about myself and feel so self concious when I was weighing in at 270lbs. Lack of exercise and activity is enough to make even a semi-healthy eater gain weight and become "fat". I don't think we're on here to question why we used to be fat, but we're here to support eachother and look to the future and encourage a healthy lifestyle no matter if we are trying to gain, lose, or maintain. "This is why you're fat"...Well, personally, i don't need anyone pointing out the reasons why I'm fat, or was fat.

I agree. I thought it was kind of mean spirited as well. The pictures were over-exaggerated on purpose. It wouldn't surprise me if some of those foods were made just for the pictures.

I myself was never "fat." I weighed more than I wanted, but I have never been "fat." I grew up eating right - I think it was partly b/c my mom didn't have a lot of money, but we were only allowed 2 snacks per day, we had to have fruit at lunch, at dinner half our plate was veggies with 1/4 meat and 1/4 carbs, and we had to have 2 glasses of (skim) milk everyday.

Do I still love a bacon cheeseburger? Or a pepporoni pizza? Or a bag of sour cream and onion chips? Oh yes!

But those pictures? No one really makes or eats food like that.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Maybe it's me, but I find the kick-off statement to this thread mean spirited. The pictures on there were grossly over-exaggerated and I know the average obese person does not chow down on corndog pizza for every meal. As a matter of fact, I think these photos and the heading that accompanies it, just goes on to further stereotype the overweight and obese culture that made me feel so bad about myself and feel so self concious when I was weighing in at 270lbs. Lack of exercise and activity is enough to make even a semi-healthy eater gain weight and become "fat". I don't think we're on here to question why we used to be fat, but we're here to support eachother and look to the future and encourage a healthy lifestyle no matter if we are trying to gain, lose, or maintain. "This is why you're fat"...Well, personally, i don't need anyone pointing out the reasons why I'm fat, or was fat.

I agree. I thought it was kind of mean spirited as well. The pictures were over-exaggerated on purpose. It wouldn't surprise me if some of those foods were made just for the pictures.

I myself was never "fat." I weighed more than I wanted, but I have never been "fat." I grew up eating right - I think it was partly b/c my mom didn't have a lot of money, but we were only allowed 2 snacks per day, we had to have fruit at lunch, at dinner half our plate was veggies with 1/4 meat and 1/4 carbs, and we had to have 2 glasses of (skim) milk everyday.

Do I still love a bacon cheeseburger? Or a pepporoni pizza? Or a bag of sour cream and onion chips? Oh yes!

But those pictures? No one really makes or eats food like that.
    ah I don't know anyone that does, at any weight, but that's in my world, there are oviously fair goers from the sounds of it that like the grease dipped food. In all seriousness? I thought when I first read about all the deep fried snickers, twinkies, pizza (and oh how do they do that one? lol), I thought the article was a joke (I read the article years ago), I had no idea how they would even do that sort of thing, it didn't sound good to me when I realized it wasn't a joke either:laugh:

Please I intend no offense to those that have enjoyed it in the past, but something about the whole idea of it is WRONG:angry::laugh: :laugh: Not even talking healthywise here!:bigsmile: :noway: :wink:

I also get creeped out by the mixing of foods, no not crockpot meals, or casseroles as I know some folks are unable to eat foods that touch. I don't mind if foods touch but the pics were creepin me out because they were plain gross....they reminded me of something that might be on BL to temp folks there.

Like way over the top type of thing. ::shrugs::: :drinker: :tongue:
    btw.....wasn't someone supposed to take those nasty pics out of my brain LAST NIGHT?:sad: :sick: :glasses: :noway:

• Fitness_Chick
    Options

Nah you're to sweet and adorable to get offended by:flowerforyou: :wink:

• Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Hey it was the title of the article er, um, gross food pics:laugh: Didn't offend me:flowerforyou:

ah, not sure if that came across right.... meant to say, no the title didn't offend me as when I paste in an article I use the name of the article most times, unless it's one that would never get opened then I find something in the article that pops so folks will open the thread and benefit from the good stuff in the articles:happy:

so, your title was the title, but the foods, ahhh the foods:sick: did you really find it necessary to include the PROPER link girl?:bigsmile: :angry: :laugh: :wink:

• ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    What I find interesting.... is that we're saying, "Oh I would never eat that..." which is probably true.... the food we DO eat isn't that extreme and yet.... many are still fat.
    Hey, I'm embracing it... I'm fat.... not fluffy, not chubby.... FAT.
    I hadn't even heard of most of those foods (minus the candy bar one).
    We aren't getting fat cause we're eating "extreme" food....
    It's from overindulging in pasta, breads, candy, soda, cheese, ice cream, fast food, home cooked foods, etc... It's from eating "normal" food... maybe not in reasonable portions....but to us it's normal.

Probably somewhere.... those grease laden dishes are "normal"... I've been places where my inards have curled up and died when seeing what "normal" is to them.

There isn't a need to fight.....

I thought the link was enlightening and amusing.... for some.... it IS the reason they are fat....
    For others....not so much.

Also, if someone is posting a link, try to not to get upset by it's title...especially if it's based off the original sites title.

:flowerforyou: