DOMS and dizziness

Options
DOMS
----

Is there anything you can do about it? It's really getting in the way of my sprinting. I ice, I heat, I rest, I foam roll (while quietly screaming inside). I started doing sprinting drills a month ago to improve my speed at tae kwon do, and ever since that first set of 10, 25m sprints I've had reoccurring pain in my quad. Obviously I pulled it, but it's been a month and it won't go away. It never hurts immediately, it hurts about 3/4 into the sprint or 3/4 into whatever drill I am doing.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything I'm not doing I could be doing?

Dizziness

Before you say "see a doctor," I have seen a doctor. I've had an ECHO done and a bunch of blood work and will get the results on Dec. 1. In the mean time I thought I'd see if anyone else has had the same problem and ask what works for you? I get dizzy a lot when I exert myself. Never during the exercise, only immediately after I stop. It doesn't happen with light workouts, only during sprinting-like drills or with anything that involves having my arms above my head (that seems really random to me). It's not low blood pressure, my blood pressure is normal at 110/62. Like the DOMS, it's impeding my progress and it's extremely annoying. Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• meshellmybell76
    meshellmybell76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking plenty of water??? Dehydration can contribute to both of those.
  • crmhaske
    crmhaske Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good with hydration, I love me some water lol Thank you for your suggestion though :)
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I only get dizzy if i dont eat as I have hypoglycemia. but my friend had inner ear issues. she was dizzy all the time. maybe your equilibrium is off. who knows! hope you get better
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    DOMS
    ----

Is there anything you can do about it? It's really getting in the way of my sprinting. I ice, I heat, I rest, I foam roll (while quietly screaming inside). I started doing sprinting drills a month ago to improve my speed at tae kwon do, and ever since that first set of 10, 25m sprints I've had reoccurring pain in my quad. Obviously I pulled it, but it's been a month and it won't go away. It never hurts immediately, it hurts about 3/4 into the sprint or 3/4 into whatever drill I am doing.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything I'm not doing I could be doing?

Dizziness

Before you say "see a doctor," I have seen a doctor. I've had an ECHO done and a bunch of blood work and will get the results on Dec. 1. In the mean time I thought I'd see if anyone else has had the same problem and ask what works for you? I get dizzy a lot when I exert myself. Never during the exercise, only immediately after I stop. It doesn't happen with light workouts, only during sprinting-like drills or with anything that involves having my arms above my head (that seems really random to me). It's not low blood pressure, my blood pressure is normal at 110/62. Like the DOMS, it's impeding my progress and it's extremely annoying. Anyone else experience this?

What's DOMS? And no matter what it is...are you kidding? You are asking a Message Board about something so personal and MEDICAL! WAIT for your test results and stop trying to self diagnose. STOP!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    do you make certain to get in good protein before and after your workouts? esp an intense one and w/in 30 minutes of...
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    When you exercise, your blood vessels widen to keep your blood pressure down while your heart beats faster. When you suddenly stop, you can get a sudden drop in blood pressure (and hence dizziness) if your blood vessels don't constrict fast enough. So try winding down gradually - e.g. winding down from a run with a fast walk, then a slow walk before you stop. It should also improve as you get fitter, so your heart doesn't need to work quite so hard.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not sure what "DOMS" is.. so I can't help there.

However, I do get dizzy sometimes after I workout. I've had bloodwork done, an EKG, etc - everything is "textbook perfect". From what we can tell, it has something to do with my blood pressure. I have low blood pressure normally and they said that what's happening is - my blood pressure drops suddenly back to "normal" after I've worked out. It doesn't happen all the time, but it is very annoying when it does. My hands and feet get very cold, I start to shiver and then I'm dizzy. All is well with me - it's just my blood pressure.

Are you eating before you workout? For some people, they need to eat right before they workout or they feel dizzy. Personally, I can't eat before I workout or I'll throw up.
  • crmhaske
    crmhaske Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    What's DOMS? And no matter what it is...are you kidding? You are asking a Message Board about something so personal and MEDICAL! WAIT for your test results and stop trying to self diagnose. STOP!

DOMS = delayed onset muscle soreness

lol, and I'm not seeking medical advice, I'm just curious what other people who have experienced the same thing have tried. It's really not all that personal, DOMS and dizziness during exercise are actually pretty common.

A few of you have mentioned the change in blood pressure when ceasing activity abruptly. That seems the most likely to me as I'm pretty sure it's a benign problem. I'm going to give winding down slowly a go and see what happens.

Oh, and I definitely eat before I work out. I'm as good as useless if I don't lol