I am my own worst enemy.

Options
Today was wretched, I'll spare the details, but it was hard and long and it was stressful. These past couple of weeks have been. I haven't exercised in those two weeks. I'm throwing myself off. Today I also discovered that I'm an emotional eater. I ate when I wasn't hungry, I made myself feel sick, and I've never been more disappointed. This seems to be how it always happen. how I ballooned up to 250 from 155. I just can't seem to ever keep motivated and kick my own *kitten* and I know that no one else can do it for me, but this is hard.

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I think we are all probably our own worst enemy. It's so easy to convince yourself that another cookie is fine or that skipping a workout today will be fine.

It is hard to fight against our inner demons. Dust yourself off and keep going. You can do this!
  • anwscott
    Options
    I agree we are our own worst enemy. You may have found out something about your self you not happy with but the point is you know it. Now that you have found a problem you can find ways of fixing. It doesn't matter how many times you fall, all that matters is that you get back up and keep moving. And yes you can Do This! :D
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You know, it's easy to beat up on yourself. And I understand why you're tempted to do that. One of my favorite sayings is "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." So you can absolutely decide that you're not going to join in (or start!) the dog-pile on yourself, brush yourself off, and make a list of things you can do when you're stressed that don't involve food. Start with things that appeal to your other senses. Smells, sounds, textures, whatever. Keep at least one of those things around you at all times and USE IT when you're feeling even a little bit stressed -- break the habit of emotional eating a day at a time! :)
  • Galletakek
    Options
    you got this.. if anyone can do it its you.... yea sure you did screw up... so what .. you know what that means... means you did fail.... know what it means to fail.... MEANS that you have to try to fail.. and you been trying! goo get back up and kick your selfs *kitten*.. i know what you mean... im my worst enemy every time i hit the gym... its never good enough... but i made it to where .... i push my self because its never good enough for my self :) make that enemy of yours ... well make it your strength!
  • ShrinkingChelle
    Options
    Try to find a workout buddy, that way you arent just bailing on your you are also bailing on someone else and are less likely to cancel. Atleast thats been my experience.
  • jonzo21
    jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Today was wretched, I'll spare the details, but it was hard and long and it was stressful. These past couple of weeks have been. I haven't exercised in those two weeks. I'm throwing myself off. Today I also discovered that I'm an emotional eater. I ate when I wasn't hungry, I made myself feel sick, and I've never been more disappointed. This seems to be how it always happen. how I ballooned up to 250 from 155. I just can't seem to ever keep motivated and kick my own *kitten* and I know that no one else can do it for me, but this is hard.

Hey this is a tough situation, and you've made amazing progress so far just by joining this site and realizing the problem. That's the first step to finding a solution! And I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to offer advice and support. If you'd like, you can join my self control group. I realized I had horrible self control and that was a big problem with me being overweight, so I created this group. We try to help each other, and I've created a monthly challenge that will hopefully help people with this problem... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/340-take-control-of-your-self-control
  • ChasingHaven
    ChasingHaven Posts: 126 Member
    Options

I've been here only a few days. Motivation is hard for me. I've done this journey before, but getting started again has been hard. I logged for two days, but I haven't for the last 2 and Thanksgiving is tomorrow. Yikes. But if I completely give up again it will get me nowhere. Well, probably another 10 pounds heavier before I know it.

Try to focus on the things you've done and perhaps the thing you're going to do. This week I put down the fulll sugar pop and started drinking more water. I bought some candy kisses for a candy dish for Thanksgiving- tried 3 and none since. I am making a Waldorf salad for the dinner with lowfat yogurt. No gooey sugary dessert. Small steps! I can keep my focus in the right direction and I know it's the direction to get back on track. If I beat myself up again I'm afraid I'd give up again.

I heard once that if you got up one morning and forgot to brush your teeh, would you completely give up and never brush again? You'd be back brushing your teeth. Think of this the same way. You're aware of what you've done and what you need to do. If you have to count the baby steps to get back be proud of those and keep heading back. You'll get there. Take care of yourself and try not to let that stress over run you!
  • ChasingHaven
    ChasingHaven Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Really? It won't let me edit teeth. : P
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Every moment is a new moment... don't let the things that are past and done keep you help hostage ya know? I was an emotional eater for YEARS... It's taken me two years to GET DOWN to the upper 240's .....from 337... and it's been SUCH a hard road... but once you conquer the mindsets holding you back, you will start seeing that progress! We all CAN be our own worst enemy... for sure! BUT....we can ALSO be our greatest supporter... our own motivator... all those things.... it took me 20 years to finally get the right mindset...so i KNOW it's not easy... but stick around this place... it is FULL of motivation,. and helpful people who SUPPORT you and WANT you to succeed! And will help pick ya up when you stumble..and we ALL do! It's just matters what we chose to do when we get up off the floor and start again!