Sudden Cardiac death

Options
2»

Replies

• vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Further reading if you're interested - http://www.c-r-y.org.uk/medical_conditions.htm

I'm not going to do myself as much damage plodding around the park a few times a week as I was driving 100's of miles a week eating cake for lunch and dinner - so ignorance is bliss for me :-) Did have a full check up at my heaviest and to my amazement everything was fine (confident it wouldn't have stayed that way for much longer!)
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Your comments are freaking me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The other day I did a vigorous work out for the first time and i had a few heart palpitations and thought i was going to have a heart attack. im only 26 so it was scary. Im keeping it moderate for now on. my heart wasnt ready for that type of work out. SCARY SOMEONE MAKE ME FEEL BETTER!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH

hydration...

But if you're scared go get checked out by doc. If you're gonna have a sudden cardiac arrest it'll probably happen anyway despite exercise... if there sno reason to suspect anything then you're in a much better position working out than not and staying healthy. Its just one of those things, nature. Chill, relax and enjoy or the stress you'll get might just kill ya!
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    It is very sad and while some of these people surely would have had pre-existing conditions, they may not be the type that is picked up on a routine screen and a few people may have no pre-existing condition at all and still unfortunately suffer sudden cardiac problems.

In terms of prevention, while there is little you can do if you have an abnormality that you are unaware of - incorrect hydration can also contribute to sudden cardiac death so it is important to ensure you are hydrating with something that contains electrolytes, not just water (I am not talking about everyday hydration, I am talking when you are actually running the long distance events). Carbohydrate loading is also important for these events, not only for muscle endurance but also to assist with keeping your plasma electrolyte levels stable.
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    My wonderful brother in law passed away of a heart attack in the middle of dinner one night a couple weeks after having passed a cardiac stress test. Point is it is not always predictable no matter what you are doing. A coworker did her first half marathon without really training for it and did NOT follow my advice on how to hydrate, collapsed near the finish line and had a trip to the hospital to rehydrate - she does not remember her friend helping her across the finish line.

My thought is that these deaths could be from undiagnosed issues, poor training and lack of hydration. I use the Jeff Gallagher method that allows periods of heart recovery DURING the run. Works for me - or it will once my knee finishes rehabbing.
  • Little_Ms_
    Options
    Don't live in fear.
    Get a full medical once a year and live life to the fullest.
  • Deirdre_R
    Deirdre_R Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    There are some heart conditions which potentially can go undiagnosed in otherwise fit people. http://www.c-r-y.org.uk/medical_conditions.htm which someone mentioned, is a brilliant organisation, as is www.cardiomyiopathy.org.uk. My own partner died of Dilated Cardiomyopathy a couple of months ago. It is less likely to cause sudden death - with my partner it caused chronic heart failure - but it is one of the conditions listed on the CRY site. If you are concerned ask your doctor for a checkup. It's also important to note that often these conditions will produce symptoms, but it's always possible to be asymtomatic. Some of the conditions have a hereditary component so if someone is diagnosed with it, their first degree relatives will be tested.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I read a news bit yesterday about a woman who is in a coma and near death after collapsing while coloring her hair. Bizarre allergic reaction to one of the chemicals in the dye, even though she'd used it for years.

I'm not going to stop running, nor am I going to let my hair go grey.
  • thpeek
    thpeek Posts: 76
    Options
    I seen a television program (I can't remember which one) just a few weeks ago. As it turns out the majority of the runners that have died had underlying heart conditions, most had dialated (enlarged) or ischemic (heart disease) Cardiomyopathy, something I am all too familiar with since my husband at the age of 38 was working out in the gym and fainted, an ambulance was called and he was taken to the Emergency room, he was later diagnosed as having dialated Cardiomyopathy. An echo of his heart and another test where they went through his leg veins to see the inside of his heart showed that my husband at one point in his life, (they said most likely childhood) had a bad virus settle in his heart and left him with horrible amounts of scar tissue inside and on the outside of his heart.

The doctors explained to us that my husband was a walking dead man because the scar tissue was causing his hearts electrical system to miss-fire and that this is why so many athletes die of sudden cardiac arrest with very little or no warning or symptoms. They said my husband was a miracle and he should have died years ago.

The doctors immediatly installed a Pace-maker/Defibrillator device and put my husband on a rythm drug so that sudden death would not happen to him. My husband is now 48 and has Zero plaque in his arteries since he grew up the first 18 years of his life a vegitarian and always ate a very clean diet since he was a bodybuilder. He did everything right but even he could not stop a simple virus that settled in his heart.

My 15 year old son a year ago peed a large amount of blood, we rushed him to the urologist and guess what it was, a Cold Virus that he had had 2 weeks earlier had settled in and attacked one of his kidneys causing a kidney bleed. We also could not have prevented that. This stuff happens and it is not as rare as you think.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    hydration...

But if you're scared go get checked out by doc. If you're gonna have a sudden cardiac arrest it'll probably happen anyway despite exercise... if there sno reason to suspect anything then you're in a much better position working out than not and staying healthy. Its just one of those things, nature. Chill, relax and enjoy or the stress you'll get might just kill ya!
    [/quote][/quote]

Thanks. I'm feeling better today lol I have been talking with my Doctor. And had a EKG done this year and my Heart was fine. But yea im feeling better thanks except the part where you said stress is going to kill me hahaha because it just might lmao :)

Thanks
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I was 30, weight 315 pounds, had a history of smoking, and a family history of heart issues when I ran my first marathon. I'm now training for my 3rd and I'm healty. The amount of people that die from heart attacks from running is much less then the number that are hit by car running. High school kids have heart attacks on the basketball court too, some people have heart issues sthat they don't know about. The only thing you can do is follow your training program and if you start to see issues go to your doctor. Several people suggested getting a physical before running a big race, I think that is a good idea. I should have done that.