how do you hint for christmas presents from your partner?

Options

Replies

• vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Haha, I've yet to meet the man who can take a hint (no offense to you elusive, psychic Y-chromosome holders out there).

I straight-out tell my husband, I get what I want when it's feasible, and he doesn't go through the stress of having to guess what I would really like.

This.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    If you figure this out.. let me know. I had to give up on the hinting a long time ago. I tried the "hey hon, look at THIS!!!!!! Isn't it awesome?? I would sooooooooooo love one of these" Not sure how all those things just fly over his head, I try to remind myself that he more than makes up for it in other ways. After a couple of years, if I found something in a catalog I would rip the page out and circle it and leave it by his wallet with.. "If you need an idea for ____ here it is". Also, I would save links online to the favorite and name them. "Gift ideas for your wife.. cause the holiday isn't far away".
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Tip: It helps if you not only say what you want - but the SKU#, color, and size if appropriate.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Ha, I've learned from past experiences that even though I'm asked for a list, and I provided a list, rarely do I receive anything from the list.... so I just buy what I want for myself, and let him do his thing....... On the other hand, I ask him for a list, and I make sure to get him what is on the list. Go figure.

Maybe you could ask him what he wants, to start the conversation, then lead it into what you want.... Doesn't hurt to plaster pictures, advertisements, etc everywhere he goes to try to help him remember! :wink:
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    lol we give eachother lists so I'm no help.

Ask him what he wants for Christmas or if there is anything that he's been eyeing...maybe he'll ask you the same back?
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I unintentionally hinted by getting audibly frustrated with my camera one day... :D

This is fantastic! lol
  • jlzrdking
    jlzrdking Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    When in a store with my GF and I see something I want for Christmas or birthday I just point at it and say "HINT"
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in hints. I'm more of a make-a-wish-list-on-amazon-and-send-him-the-link kind of girl
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Forget hinting. Tell him directly. That way you won't be disappointed.

How gross would it be to buy your spouse something that you think is wonderful for Christmas, only to have them throw a tantrum on Christmas day because "they've been hinting about such and such for months now" UGH! So high maintenance.
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I've put a lot of thought into his present and the downside is my birthday is the day after chrstmas.. so i have to do twice as much hinting but without asking for too much as we're only young.. can't afford too much :/ but i spent a lot of money on him for christmas/birthday.. i just hope i get something that involved a lot of thought :)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Here's how I hint:

Me: "I've been thinking about getting a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, and they've got them on sale at JC Penney. Maybe it would make a good Christmas present."

Him: "JC Penney, you say?"
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    Good luck! They rarely get the hint, just get a friend to tell them or something like that.

If I don't directly tell my husband, this is the route I go. That way it seems like he's coming up with the idea on his own! My husband can take hints, I'm just not good at giving them!
  • hojo94
    hojo94 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I gave up on hinting... he NEVER got it. Now, I e-mail him the link for the thing that I want, that way all he has to do is click buy and it is done. My 6 year old picks up on my hints better than my husband! It is one of the things that I love about him!!!!
  • Froggy1976
    Options
    Haha, I've yet to meet the man who can take a hint (no offense to you elusive, psychic Y-chromosome holders out there).

I straight-out tell my husband, I get what I want when it's feasible, and he doesn't go through the stress of having to guess what I would really like.

This^^
    I just tell him what I want. Sometimes I make a list and put it on the fridge. If I make the list extensive enough I know I won't get everything so I can still be surprised somewhat.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I say... "Hey, if you're looking for a Christmas idea, *insert item here* would be a good choice."
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I say... "Hey, if you're looking for a Christmas idea, *insert item here* would be a good choice."

^^^^This always works... never fails. You don't have to be so elusively creative with hints. Just be forthright.

And your birthday is the day after Christmas. My husband's birthday falls in December too! I get him his gift on his Half-birthday in June, so he doesn't have to wait all year to get all his gifts, we will have a half of a cake and some ice cream then too...
    For his actual birthday we have a home-baked cake and home-made ice cream and a nice dinner. Balloons, streamers that sort of thing.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Seriously, though, if we are with our partners or children enough throughout the year, we should probably know them well enough to pick out a gift. I know I get odd looks when I say it, but Christmas truly isn't about the stuff in the box for me. It's about the fact that the box even exists.

Hear! Hear!
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    My entertaining story:

It was my first birthday celebration with my man friend. This is a bit of our conversation:

Him: What do you want for your birthday?
    Me: I truly don't care honey. Get me anything.
    Him: I'll tell you now. I don't do well with presents. I don't buy gifts well because I think gifts should be practical.
    Me: No. Gifts should be something that the person wants, but would never buy for themselves.
    Him: Nope. Don't get it.
    Me: So you're telling me, if I don't give you some ideas, you won't buy me anything?
    Him: Pretty much.
    Me: Would you like me to create a survival guide for my birthday?
    Him: Please.

So there I sat. Creating a survival guide of sizes, colors, patterns, websites... gifts... restaurants he could take me to etc. I gave him 7 restaurants and about 25 gifts for him to choose from. I ended up with the perfect birthday:)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My entertaining story:

It was my first birthday celebration with my man friend. This is a bit of our conversation:

Him: I'll tell you now. I don't do well with presents. I don't buy gifts well because I think gifts should be practical.
    Me: No. Gifts should be something that the person wants, but would never buy for themselves.
    Me: So you're telling me, if I don't give you some ideas, you won't buy me anything?

So there I sat. Creating a survival guide of sizes, colors, patterns, websites... gifts... restaurants he could take me to etc. I gave him 7 restaurants and about 25 gifts for him to choose from. I ended up with the perfect birthday:)

ridiculous *LOL*
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    My entertaining story:

ridiculous *LOL*

Jealous.