temporary gain after exercise

Options
Hi there,

If I step up my exercise a notch and have a day of pushing myself a bit harder I always seem to have gained a pound or so the following morning, this does seem to gradually drop off over the next couple of days, but I do find it a bit disheartening. I used to run a fair bit 6 years ago and am trying to get back to running 20 miles a week, I am finding it a lot harder now and I think age is slowing me down.

Can anyone offer an explanation as to what is happening.

cheers from Quizzy

Replies

• sandislim
    Options
    I always tend to put on weight after exercise unless its something gentle like walking. I always though it was water retention but would like to hear what others think...
  • Gillq35
    Gillq35 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank God!! I thought it was just me!! I have worked really hard since Saturday and was UP 3lbs this morning after my workout!!
  • discodaddy61
    discodaddy61 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    easy fix dont weigh yourself after a workout just do it once a week at the same time same place same scale and always in the morning when you are the lightest
  • goddesshanna
    goddesshanna Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing happen after working out. I've always felt it was due to inflammation in the muscles. Your body is going through a healing process where it directs a lot of blood cells to the muscles you've worked out so you're going to retain fluids.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Muscles bloat with water to heal, dont worry about it.
  • quizzyrascal
    quizzyrascal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I know the weight is going to go away and I could just ignore it, but I would like to understand what is happening.

One of the things I utterly love about MFP is using the tools and reports to pin point the most effective methods for weight loss, and reading the forums has illustrated to me that we are all individuals and although most general weight loss rules apply across the board, we do all vary.

I suspect that maybe pushing harder at exercise (enough to cause aching next day) is making me retain water, I am just very interested in the science bit.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    "Fluctuations in weight is pretty common in the initial stages of lifting - water retention in muscles, increased plasma blood volume to carry more nutrients now that you're using more of them and increased glycogen stores. It usually normalizes within a few sessions/week once your body's adjusted to your work load and exercise selection, and reoccurs when you make drastic changes in training parameters ;)"

Stolen quote
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    When I've been on passive trainer bike for few days in a row the top of my legs tend to swell.. particuarly at back of left leg. I tend to leave a few rest days before my weigh-in day and drink loads of water to flush it out my system., if I'm weighing in saturday I won't do any big workouts after early thursday morning, after 2 lie-ins fri and sat (loads of water and no carbs either the days before) I'm usually lighter by saturday.

Any treats I have straight after weigh-in and some more exercise sessions until thursday again... rest and repeat.. lol!

Our muscles hold onto water to help heal them, though I'm not sure how they do that exactly but they will let it go if you keep drinking water constantly, as I find I let go of loads after, if I drink loads whilst my body is holding it.. during monthlies too
  • tsjourney
    tsjourney Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me! I finally started exercising after many years of not doing so and gained 3 lbs the next morning, which was yesterday! I was very discouraged. I had been careful all week to stick to my calories and eat healthier. I did exercise again last night and did not weigh in this morning. Glad to see I am not the only one.
  • wyldweazel
    wyldweazel Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yep. I had the same thing happen too. I have been steadily loosing weight for over 50 days. Now that I feel great, I started working out at a gym. My physical endurance, has improved, and I feel great. However, I have added 5 lbs on and in two weeks, it hasn't dropped off yet. I have been carefully monitoring calorie intake and expenditures, however that 5 lbs just sits there. In one sense, I almost wish that I hadn't started to workout, because I have a lot of weight still to lose. Logic tells me that in the long run, working out will get me to my goal... however the stall is still frustrating.

Keep up the good fight. We are all in this for the long haul.
  • tsjourney
    tsjourney Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yep. I had the same thing happen too. I have been steadily loosing weight for over 50 days. Now that I feel great, I started working out at a gym. My physical endurance, has improved, and I feel great. However, I have added 5 lbs on and in two weeks, it hasn't dropped off yet. I have been carefully monitoring calorie intake and expenditures, however that 5 lbs just sits there. In one sense, I almost wish that I hadn't started to workout, because I have a lot of weight still to lose. Logic tells me that in the long run, working out will get me to my goal... however the stall is still frustrating.

Keep up the good fight. We are all in this for the long haul.

I think two weeks would drive me NUTS!!! Logically, I understand, kinda sorta, but emotionally - nope. If after years of not doing anything about this weight/exercise issue and finally stepping up and doing it and not seeing the pounds drop -mentally that would start to discourage me to stop trying. i would need lots of support to pull through! I have over 100 lbs to lose, two weeks of gained weight and nothing coming off after keeping track and working out - I gots to see some weight come off! Of course the alternative is to go back to complacency and the unhealthy lifestyle with no hope of ever changing and probably a heart attack, stroke or diabetes... I suppose I will just have to trust the people on this site that have persevered and lost the weight having had the same issues I am having :-).
  • wyldweazel
    wyldweazel Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Well, after working out 12 of 14 days at the gym (somedays just cardio, somedays weight and cardio) I decided to take yesterday off from the gym. It was nice, however I had a bunch of pent up energy and found it very difficult to sleep last night. However, after giving myself a break, I am glad to say I saw some weight drop off. I guess it is really important to let your body completely rest. ;)