Who has lost the most weight here? And How?

Options
I am new but I see so many people writing they lost weight. I was wondering what is the most weight you have lost and how. Counting calories and................

Replies

• marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I am new but I see so many people writing they lost weight. I was wondering what is the most weight you have lost and how. Counting calories and................
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, that would be Fitness Chick at 218 lb! :flowerforyou:
    That's almost as much as I weigh! :laugh:

PS - Welcome to MFP! :flowerforyou:
  • Jennnnnnnny
    Jennnnnnnny Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    i know tam tastic has loss alot too!!!!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've lost the most weight but I have lost a lot.

How...well, it's sort of a process.

I just started. I didn't jump in head first. I took it a week at a time and slowly educated myself on things. It was a slow and steady winning of the race for me. By doing it slow and healthy, it truly became a new lifestyle over the course of the 16 months it took me to lose 135 lbs.

At first I just started with counting calories and getting used to that. Once that became "habit", I started to pay closer attention to where the calories were coming from. And I have been drinking a ton of water since day one too. I always start my day with 24 ounces of water. It used to take me 30 minutes to drink that and now I chug it down in 10 minutes and it's almost like a ritual! It sort of set's the tone for being healthy during the day. I generally get at least 80 ounces.

The key is to not stress yourself out. Don't pressure yourself to get it done fast. That will only lead to frustration and giving up or doing something unhealthy.

I have used measuring spoons and cups and a food scale to teach myself about portions.

I also tried to keep a variety of foods in the house so I don't get bored. I am so satisfied with the healthier recipes I make and lower cal foods I have around that I don't feel deprived.

Another thing that helped me a lot was learning to trust myself to have an occasional treat. I had read something once that I think about a lot. It said that one of the traits of naturally thin people is that they do have treats and eat junk. The difference is they do it once in awhile and eat healthy the majority of the time. For some reason, I suddenly got it that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. I don't have to completely deprive myself nor do I need to gorge myself on everything. I learned to enjoy a meal here and there. I wouldn't count calories but I wouldn't go absolutely nuts either. For example, right before I hit my goal, I enjoyed New Years Eve. I ate junk and drank wine(didn't know I was pregnant yet). And the next day, I got back on track. And each time I was successful at getting back on track, my confidence in myself grew.

For me, the confidence is what is different this time from the past. I have yo-yo dieted through life...but I never felt confident that I could keep it up because I always got there from deprivation.

Also, move your body! Exercise is so important. Not only does it make your body strong and your heart healthy, but it allows you to eat more! Again, don't stress out. Just start out slow. I started with 20 minutes on the elliptical at level 3. Now, I do over an hour at level 19. Every time one level started to get easy, I would bump it up a level and add 5 minutes.

OK, I've written a book as I tend to do!! LOL! I will let you absorb this and if you have any more questions, let me know! :wink:

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:

-Tami
  • Opera_Bound
    Opera_Bound Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response Tami! :flowerforyou: It was nice to read it. I'm also new and taking it slow. Reading everyone's input and what works and doesn't work is VERY helpful. I like educating myself on what actually goes in my body as well. Getting better slowly but surely. Congrats again on your fanTASTIC job! :laugh: :laugh:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I think it's Fitness Chick but it's hard to say... there are a lot of big losers here :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    yea kerri...........we are a bunch of losers, arent we??:wink::laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    yea kerri...........we are a bunch of losers, arent we??:wink::laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    :bigsmile:

Actually I think theantijared has lost the most, he's got a great blog set up to see his before, during and current pics... gotta definitely check THAT GUY out, He's seriously on a MISSION to Health!!!:drinker: :wink: :bigsmile: and He's doing SO GREAT!!!:flowerforyou:

FC:heart:

It probably is interesting to new folks who's lost a certain amount of weight on MFP and especially if someone has a similar amount to drop...I can see how that would be an inspiration:heart: that it CAN be done...that's how I keep my inpsiration going by what I see others having done before me.:drinker:

BUT I think to me the most motivating of all would be those that have kept it off for a long period of time, no matter how many lbs. they lost,:bigsmile: maintaining to me feels like starting the whole process from the beginning, what I mean by that is, it's something all on it's own...the ultimate goal, TO KEEP IT OFF!!:flowerforyou: . THAT is a true LOSER in my book, as I'm looking to follow in their footsteps and be inspired by them:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I think it's Fitness Chick but it's hard to say... there are a lot of big losers here :laugh:

hey now girl!! you calling us all losers?:grumble: oh OK THEN!:laugh: :drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    My info on what's worked/working for me is in my profile, I finally got smart :wink: and wrote it up as we all like to learn others tips on what's worked for them:flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:

Actually I think theantijared has lost the most, he's got a great blog set up to see his before, during and current pics... gotta definitely check THAT GUY out, He's seriously on a MISSION to Health!!!:drinker: :wink: :bigsmile: and He's doing SO GREAT!!!:flowerforyou:

FC:heart:

It probably is interesting to new folks who's lost a certain amount of weight on MFP and especially if someone has a similar amount to drop...I can see how that would be an inspiration:heart: that it CAN be done...that's how I keep my inpsiration going by what I see others having done before me.:drinker:

BUT I think to me the most motivating of all would be those that have kept it off for a long period of time, no matter how many lbs. they lost,:bigsmile: maintaining to me feels like starting the whole process from the beginning, what I mean by that is, it's something all on it's own...the ultimate goal, TO KEEP IT OFF!!:flowerforyou: . THAT is a true LOSER in my book, as I'm looking to follow in their footsteps and be inspired by them:flowerforyou: :heart:

Have to agree about those who have kept it off. Hugely inspiring! Also take into account that although some have only lost 10-20 lbs, for some that is a HUGE amount. for example If you weigh 130 lbs and lose 20 lbs, you're actually losing 15% of you body weight, which is comparable to someone who starts at 300 lbs and loses 50. So you see, even the smaller losers are secretly big losers :laugh:
  • wannaBme
    wannaBme Posts: 143
    Options
    Thanks Tam Tastic for posting your thoughts .. I loved reading your "book"
  • dkell
    dkell Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    :noway: WOW everyone here are winners at being loosers!!!:drinker: :noway: :laugh:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Tam totally rocked me in our little race, stupid falling off the wagon!
    Anyways, I lost most of my weight through

a) becoming vegetarian (note being vegetarian does NOT mean that you'll lose weight... BUT a lot of vegetarian foods are extremely good for you, like boca burgers, etc).

b) find a way to make exercise fun. Figure out if you like doing it solo, or with others. For me, when I use exercise videos or wiifit I like being alone, because I feel kind of silly. However biking and kayaking I love doing with groups of people

c) Don't EVER tell yourself you can't have something. If you're super strict, you're never going to be able to live with it for the rest of your life. If you have a chocolate craving, have some chocolate. Because otherwise you're going to want it tomorrow. And the next day. And so on. What are you going to do when you hit your goal weight and you've got all those chocolate cravings saved up? What about the other cravings you get? Well... there's a reason people tend to balloon back up after a 'diet.' Which leads me to my next point...

d) Don't diet. Period. Don't call this a diet. Calling it a diet means you consider it temporary... you want to lose the weight, and then go right back to your old ways. Except the weight isn't the problem, it's just a symptom of a bigger issue - your old ways.

e) Don't look for quick fixes. You didn't become overweight in a few weeks, it took months, years - hell, decades. You also didn't need help to become overweight - so why do you need help to get back to a proper weight? Slow, steady and comfortable beats the pants off trying to rush through it and making yourself so uncomfortable you can never stick with it for life. It also beats using medications which can kill you, and when you stop taking them you go right back to where you started.

f) Reward yourself constantly. Set yourself tons of goals, and meet them. This will help build your confidence in yourself. Start small... eating 3 healthy meals today can be a goal. Then work up to bigger goals.Bigger goals mean bigger rewards. Each time you meet a goal, you have just shown yourself that you can do something you put your mind to, so reward yourself!

g) Don't give up. Ever. Our weights vary, that's just the way things work. Don't get upset if you gain two pounds, get determined.

These are the things I live by :)
  • nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I love this topic... Tam and Fit Chick, you are an inspiration to me.. Thanks so much for sharing...

Anita
  • pdxmomof2
    Options
    I dont think it is all just about the # on the scale. I think that it is great that you are so willing to share your story with all of us. You make it sound do-able. And those before and after pictures....they really show that transformation! Its all awe- inspiring(sp?)

:flowerforyou:
  • dkell
    dkell Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Tam totally rocked me in our little race, stupid falling off the wagon!
    Anyways, I lost most of my weight through

a) becoming vegetarian (note being vegetarian does NOT mean that you'll lose weight... BUT a lot of vegetarian foods are extremely good for you, like boca burgers, etc).

b) find a way to make exercise fun. Figure out if you like doing it solo, or with others. For me, when I use exercise videos or wiifit I like being alone, because I feel kind of silly. However biking and kayaking I love doing with groups of people

c) Don't EVER tell yourself you can't have something. If you're super strict, you're never going to be able to live with it for the rest of your life. If you have a chocolate craving, have some chocolate. Because otherwise you're going to want it tomorrow. And the next day. And so on. What are you going to do when you hit your goal weight and you've got all those chocolate cravings saved up? What about the other cravings you get? Well... there's a reason people tend to balloon back up after a 'diet.' Which leads me to my next point...

d) Don't diet. Period. Don't call this a diet. Calling it a diet means you consider it temporary... you want to lose the weight, and then go right back to your old ways. Except the weight isn't the problem, it's just a symptom of a bigger issue - your old ways.

e) Don't look for quick fixes. You didn't become overweight in a few weeks, it took months, years - hell, decades. You also didn't need help to become overweight - so why do you need help to get back to a proper weight? Slow, steady and comfortable beats the pants off trying to rush through it and making yourself so uncomfortable you can never stick with it for life. It also beats using medications which can kill you, and when you stop taking them you go right back to where you started.

f) Reward yourself constantly. Set yourself tons of goals, and meet them. This will help build your confidence in yourself. Start small... eating 3 healthy meals today can be a goal. Then work up to bigger goals.Bigger goals mean bigger rewards. Each time you meet a goal, you have just shown yourself that you can do something you put your mind to, so reward yourself!

g) Don't give up. Ever. Our weights vary, that's just the way things work. Don't get upset if you gain two pounds, get determined.

These are the things I live by :)
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: This is such great, kick butt, inspirational advice.:flowerforyou: :drinker: thank you:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your stories! They ARE inspiration! I see that others have done it and it makes me ask, why can't I? Well now I'm not asking, I know I can and thanks to everyone for support!:flowerforyou: :love: :heart: :heart: :love: :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I think the % of weight lost would be more powerful than the actual numbers.

Tam, what % of your body weight did you lose?

Like for me, I've lost 45lbs. Started at 205lbs.
    45/205= 21.9%

(You can check that math.... 0.219 x 205 = 44.895lbs)

Holy crap. I think I need to see that number. I lost over 1/5th of my own weight!! Wahoooo!!!!
    Now if I can get off this last 10% (20lbs)....
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Totally Fitness Chick!!! She's the most rockin' & supportive one on this site!! I hope to be as supportive and inspiring as her one day!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!