I need some tips on a few healthy recipies!

Options
okay I'm a big pancake freak! Is there anyway I can make really good Pancakes, that are low in fat and calories? another thing I'm always eating chicken and fish, is there a way that I can make chicken and fish taste better without adding lots of fat and calories?:huh:

Replies

• ladylaycee
    Options
    okay I'm a big pancake freak! Is there anyway I can make really good Pancakes, that are low in fat and calories? another thing I'm always eating chicken and fish, is there a way that I can make chicken and fish taste better without adding lots of fat and calories?:huh:
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Pancakes I don't know except for sugar free syrup and no butter...I love my fish grilled in a nonstick pan, no butter, no oil, no non-stick spry...then when its on the plate, I squeeze lots of lemon and sprinkle with salt...you can experiment with different seasonings and spices on your chicken and fish...check out recipes at this site and at recipe sites as well...don't fry your chicken or your fish...you can train yourself to get off the junkfood...once you do eat healthy for awhile and you do decide to have some junk, it will probably make you feel sick...good luck! Fat Dancer
  • AtlantaSara
    Options
    Pancakes: (These aren't the light fluffy kind but more of a hearty type)

INGREDIENTS
    1 cup soy milk
    1/2 cup water
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup stone ground cornmeal
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup fresh blueberries
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil

DIRECTIONS
    Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C).
    In a small bowl combine the soy milk and water.
    In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the soy milk mixture just until combined. Fold in the blueberries and let the batter sit for 5 minutes.
    Lightly oil a skillet or griddle and heat over medium heat. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto the hot griddle and cook until pancakes are bubbly on top and edges are slightly dry looking. Turn and cook until pancakes are browned. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while cooking the remaining batter. Serve warm with syrup or jam.
  • AtlantaSara
    Options
    Low Carb Pancakes:

Non-stick cooking spray or butter
    2 eggs
    1/3 cup heavy cream
    1/4 cup water
    1 teaspoon no sugar added maple extract
    1/2 cup soy flour
    2 tablespoons sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
    1 tablespoon wheat (or oat) bran
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/8 cup chopped pecans (walnuts may be substituted)
    Low Carb Fresh Whipped Cream, recipe follows

Grease a griddle or large pan with nonstick cooking spray or butter and heat over medium heat.
    Mix all ingredients except pecans in a blender for about 15 seconds. Stop and scrape down the sides with a spatula, and continue mixing for another 15 seconds until well blended.

Pour approximately 16 mini-cakes onto the hot griddle, and sprinkle each with a few pecans. Cook on each side for only a minute or 2. Serve hot with melted butter or top with a dollop of Low Carb Whipped Cream.

Low Carb Fresh Whipped Cream:
    1 cup heavy cream
    1/3 cup sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
    1 teaspoon no sugar added vanilla extract

With an electric mixer on high, whip the heavy cream just until frothy. Then add in the sugar substitute and vanilla extract and continue to whip on high until peaks form. Be careful not to over-whip, or cream will break. Store in a pastry bag or glass dish with a lid and refrigerate.
    Yield: 12 servings

For 1 serving whipped cream:
    Calories: 70 grams
    Total Fat: 7 grams
    Saturated Fat: 5 grams
    Carbohydrates: 1 gram
    Net Carbohydrates: 1 gram
    Fiber: 0 grams

Nutrition Information
    Nutritional Analysis per serving Calories 181
    Fat 15 grams Saturated Fat 6 grams
    Carbohydrates 7 grams Fiber 3 grams
    Net Carbohydrates 4 grams

Try our Fat & Calorie Calculator for additional information.
  • AtlantaSara
    Options
    Cooking with Fish/Chicken.

Try topping it with Salsa - there are a million varieties out there in the jar if you dont want to make your own. Try green salas or salsas with a smokey flavor. On the same note, you can top with a basic pasta or marinara sauce.

I like fresh spinach sauteed with either garlic, herbs, mushrooms and onions - or I mix up with some soy sauce, oj, and almonds and serve baked chicken on top.

Try cooking with fruit. Slice up some chicken and pan/stir fry - throw in some dried fruit, fresh fruit, and or some preserves. In the summer you can also grill - peaches, pineapple, etc.

Hope that helps.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Hi ladylaycee,

I make these pancakes all the time with sauteed apples:

100 Calorie Cinnamon Pancakes!

Whole Wheat Flour, 1.25 cup
    Baking Soda, 1 tsp
    Splenda No Calorie Sweetener, 2 tbsp
    Skim Milk, 1 cup
    Eggbeaters, .5 cup
    Vanilla extract, 1 tbsp
    Cinnamon, 2 tbsp

Mix flour, baking soda, and splenda in bowl. Mix milk, eggs, and vanilla in another bowl. Beat into dry mix roughly, so as to add more air to mix. Stir in cinnamon last. Serving size is 1/3 cup mix. Use PAM on skillet when cooking and sweeten with sugar free syrup and/or fruit!

Serving size is one pancake. If you use less than 1/3 of a cup batter (like 1/4, or 1/6) you can have two for 100 calories! Smaller, but more! :)

Number of Servings: 8

Calories 92.6

Total Fat 0.4 g

Saturated Fat 0.1 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g

Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g

Cholesterol 0.5 mg

Sodium 209.8 mg

Potassium 10.2 mg

Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g

Dietary Fiber 3.3 g

Sugars 2.6 g

Protein 5.2 g

Vitamin A 5.1 %

Vitamin B-12 5.0 %

Vitamin B-6 1.3 %

Vitamin C 1.1 %

Vitamin D 5.7 %

Vitamin E 1.0 %

Calcium 6.5 %

Copper 0.2 %

Folate 0.1 %

Iron 5.1 %

Magnesium 0.3 %

Manganese 14.6 %

Niacin 0.1 %

Pantothenic Acid 0.3 %

Phosphorus 0.1 %

Riboflavin 12.7 %

Selenium 0.0 %

Thiamin 0.1 %

Zinc 1.2 %
    Sautéed Apples

1 teaspoon butter
    4 firm, tart apples,peeled, cored and sliced
    pinch of ground cinnamon (optional)

1. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
    2. Add the sliced apples and the cinnamon.

3. Saute until the apples are soft. Serve with poultry, pork or pancakes.

Serving Size: 1 apple

Number of Servings: 4
    Per Serving
    Serving Size 1 apple

Calories 89

Protein 0 g

Total Carbohydrate 22 g

Dietary Fiber 5 g

Soluble Fiber 0 g

Insoluble Fiber 0 g

Sugar 16 g

Total Fat 1 g

Saturated Fat 1 g

Monounsaturated Fat 0 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g

Omega-3 Fatty Acid 0 g

Omega-6 Fatty Acid 0 g

Cholesterol 3 mg

Percent Calories from Fat 9 %

Percent Calories from Protein 0 %

Percent Calories from Carbohydrate 91 %

Vitamins:

Vitamin B1- Thiamin 0 mg

Folate 0 mcg

Vitamin C 5 mg

Vitamin D 0 IU

Vitamin E 0 IU

Vitamin K 0 mcg

Iron 0 mg

Zinc 0 mg

Calcium 1 mg

Phosphorus 0 mg

Potassium 170 mg

Sodium 10 mg

Magnesium 0 mg

Manganese 0 mg

Copper 0 mg

Selenium 0 mcg
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite fish recipe right now. I really don't know the measuring since I just do it to taste.

Cumin Tilapia

I use Tilapia on this but you could use any white fish.

Season the fillet with Corriander, Salt, Pepper and Ground Cumin. If you like a little spicy I also add some Chili Powder

I use an olive oil vaporizer on for my pan. You could also just put a small amount of olive oil in the pan.

Heat up the oil. Once it's hot, not smoking, sprinkle the pan with whole Cumin seeds. Brown quickly then place the fillets on top of the seeds. I move them around so they get coated then flip the other side right away to coat it with remaining seeds. Cook about 5 - 7 minutes on each side depending on the thickness of your fillet.

When I serve this I put a couple tablespoons of salsa and a tablespoon of fat free sour cream, but it also tastes great without it.

I like to serve this with a side of Jalapeno Black Beans. Very easy to make.

Dice up half a yellow onion and saute until clear. You can use some olive oil or chicken broth to saute if you are going for really low fat. Add two cans, drained and rinsed, of black beans. Chop up about two tablspoons, depending on how hot you like it, of jared Jaleponos. I like to use the sliced ones that you put on nachos. Add to the beans an warm. Salt and pepper to taste. These are fabulous and full of good nutrional value.

I usually round out the meal with a salad.

This is a really quick weekday meal.

5 oz fish, 1 cup beans and 2 cups salad

328 cal, 34 carb, 3 fat, 30 protein.

It's a little high on the carbs due to the beans but they are slow burning carbs and since the meal is so high in protein it's very balanced.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options

In your grocery store-Look for buckwheat pancake mix. It is amazing. They also carry it at Trader Joe's and Whole foods. Make the mix as directed and up the zest from an orange in it and some of the juice. Let sit for about 5-10 minutes before you put on griddle. It won't feel grainy like that. Top off with some fruit or peanut butter or sugar free syrup.
    Great for the whole family. We make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with the lefter overs. Toast the pancake and use like toast.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Hello!! I love pancakes too...i could make a batch and eat every last one!! I buy the mixes at whole foods, or at your local graocery store they may have whole wheat, or 'healthy' options mixes....I use egg substitute and instead of any oil i use apple sauce and add a dash of cinnamon......some fat free butter spray and sugar free syrup(only 30 cal.) and you are set!!
  • TrevorsMommy
    Options
    Use bananas in them so they are healthier