Just a reminder...

Options
I've saw way too many post about the friend/parent/spouse/ whoever who is not losing weight. I understand sometimes that when we are the 1st to go on a diet, it is difficult, especially if our eating habits are now the opposite of theirs. Adjustments need to be made, such as slowly introducing your family to healthier foods, or maybe just inviting them for a walk. However, I would just like to remind everyone, just because they have not picked up your new healthy ways DOES NOT make them bad people! It may take some time, or it may never happen but they are people with feelings too! For many of us, this is NOT the 1st attempt to lose weight, And just because you have lost it now, doesn't mean you will NEVER gain even part of it. Life happens. You could be so careful but get in an accident and break your back or something and put back on 20 pounds! I don't think we should ever be treating others like they are below us because they are not losing weight or are not losing it the way we think they should. Remember to treat others the way you would like to be treated!

Replies

• taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I agree whole heartedly with you. I made a "lifestyle" change about 4 years ago. My family didn't come along for the ride. I didn't bash them, though. 2 years ago I got very sick, ended up having a baby and several surgeries last year... gained 40 of the 80lbs I had lost back. I'm now having a helluva time getting it off. It sucks but I'm glad I didn't burn those bridges. My family has been incredibly supportive even if they don't do what I do. If your family supports YOU then don't worry about what unhealthy issues they themselves may have.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    fortunately, i dont have that problem..my family is thin, and i have some bigger friends, some who i have recruited to MFP, some who would rather stay how they are..i wish i was content being fat still, but it limits me to cute clothes i can wear, and fun things i can do..i will not push all my fitness stuff on them, but i try to encourage..there is only 1 real person ( who i dont see much anyways ) who insists i eat like a pig when she has gatherings, and gets angry and insulted i TRY, keyword there, to limit my intake..basically, everyone i know is supportive, and thoughtful when it comes to me being here
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder. I really needed to read this. I have an 18 year old daughter who is getting larger all the time. I am worried about her but I also realize that there is only so much I can do to help her change her lifestyle.
  • Sunny_Lexie
    Options
    great post :]