When did you realise 'this time it's for real?'

Options
Lozze
Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
For me, like a lot of others on here, I've spent most of my life trying to lose weight. So the fear's always there that I'm going to fall off the wagon.

This time has always felt different, even from the first day. But it's only today I said to my mum 'There's no going back from this mum. I'm doing it this time' She agreed with me 100% saying she's not worried anymore each week before I call with my weigh in and that she knew I'd have lost more after not speaking four five weeks (they were overseas) I've been doing this since the end of July and have lost just over 20kg/45lbs

When was it for you?

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm one of the minorities? I never tried to lose weight, whilst I was uncomfortable I never really noticed or understood quite how big I was.

And this is my first AND final time losing weight (: (Unless I have kids of course)
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    This time, through MFP I became more educated. I kept trying to eat healthier, to learn to just say no. It seemed so difficult to deprive myself of everything I liked, and when I didn't I just gave up. There was always the end. I never lost more than 5 or so pounds before quitting my "diet".

With MFP, it all became so simple! It became so much easier! I lost 10lbs in the first 6 weeks and then I hit a plateau, I fell off the wagon (sort of) but I still stuck to the new eating habits. Avoiding cheese, not eating all the high calorie treats (donuts and sweets) as often and even when I got back into it hardcore its always been for sure. Because of MFP I know there will never be an end, I'll make sure never to gain my weight back *if I can help it* and that even if I do I now know how!

MFP makes it simple math, its not just depriving myself of everything I love!

Now I've lost nearly 20lbs (fought through an 80 day plateau, was eating 100-200 calories too little each day) but know this time it will happen! I will get to my goal and look amazing! I love MFP :D
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    I guess I'm one of the minorities? I never tried to lose weight, whilst I was uncomfortable I never really noticed or understood quite how big I was.

And this is my first AND final time losing weight (:

^^ditto. I KNEW I was big, but I was always active and healthy, and had what seemed to be a pretty balanced diet (very, very, very little sweets, junk food, ready meals, fried food etc.) But when I stepped on the scales at 17 stone 13lbs, and I'm only just over 5'....I knew it didn't matter how 'fine' I felt, those are numbers that need addressed. So address them I did. I've lost 5stone 8lbs, and that weight is NEVER coming back. Just like when I stopped smoking....I control my body, NOT the other way round. I'm too stubborn to undo any of this good work, and when I reach goal in another 20lbs or so, I KNOW I'll stay there :D
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

You're lucky. I was told I had to eat healthier at 11 years old. I was putting on weight quickly apparently. I was 65kg and weight the same I do now. I have SUCH a screwed up relationship with food.

snookumss I agree that MFP is a wonderful tool. Having the app on my iPhone has been a wonder. I'm so diligent on logging everything. I think this site is a wonderful tool.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

And this is my first AND final time losing weight

Same here! I was skinny until I got out of college and went into the working world doing sedentary desk work. Slowly I got fatter until early this year when I realized HOLY CRAP! I got fat. This is my one and only time I will be losing weight as I don't plan on backsliding, ever.
  • Angela_2_Oh
    Angela_2_Oh Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I knew it was different this time when I devoted myself to exercise and stuck with it. I'm six months in, and feeling better than I ever have. I realized that diet is only one part of the equation; I have to be committed to fitness.
  • pinkpumpedupkickz
    pinkpumpedupkickz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It was different for me after realizing that every time I eventually drifted back to eating whatever I wanted, the weight came back. (surprise!) I finally came to grips that I was the only one who could make this change; and I had to decide whether or not I REALLY wanted it. If I did, then it was immature for me to keep starting and then wimping out. If I can succeed in the other areas in my life, I can do this! Also... learning to not "throw in the towel" when I messed up. "starting over again on monday" doesnt get you anywhere. As soon as you can bounce back, do it! Don't wallow, and don't throw the whole day/week away for a minor slipup in your plan/calories etc. Get back on that horse and keep pressing!

Good luck in your journey!