HRM Straps

Options
Does anyone know if the Polar Heart rate monitor straps go bad? I've had my HRM for about 7 years, just had the battery replaced on the wrist band thingie so I know its not that. Lately both the equipment @ the gym and my wrist unit have had real problems picking up the heart rate....so I wondered if it could be the strap....

Thanks!
Ann

Replies

• Crimson_
    Options
    isnt there a battery in the sensor? and yes like everything else the contacts can go bad and break inside the strap..not that often though :/
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Heck yes! You've had it for 7 years? I think that's a record.

According to the instructions, you must rinse the electrode part of the strap after every use and launder the strap after every 5 uses. Even so, it will go bad. 7 years...phenomenal.
  • Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Holy Crap! Mine just went bad yesterday!!!!! It kept saying "check heart rate monitor", but no matter what I did... it didn't work. Do I need to replace the batter in the sensor that is attached to the strap?
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Polar has given me excellent customer service. You may just give it a try and send them an email letting them know you are having issues with it. They might replace it without charging you. When I bought my FT7, it came with a M/L strap that was way too big for me. I sent them an email asking if they sell a Small and they sent me one for free.
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    Holy Crap! Mine just went bad yesterday!!!!! It kept saying "check heart rate monitor", but no matter what I did... it didn't work. Do I need to replace the batter in the sensor that is attached to the strap?

Yes. Replace the battery. And take a lot of deep breaths while doing so. Those things are a B**** to get open, lol.

I replaced the battery in mine and it is still messed up. It always starts out working fine, but usually about half way into my workout it loses my HR or gets "stuck" at a certain HR. I've only had mine 4 months. It's a Polar FT4.
  • Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Yes. Replace the battery. And take a lot of deep breaths while doing so. Those things are a B**** to get open, lol.

I replaced the battery in mine and it is still messed up. It always starts out working fine, but usually about half way into my workout it loses my HR or gets "stuck" at a certain HR. I've only had mine 4 months. It's a Polar FT4.

Well, shyte. I've had mine 8 months and is a FT4, as well. I love it, but damn. LOL! Someone suggested emailing them, so I'll see what I can do...