COLD WEATHER RUNS! Who's with me!?

Options
After completing my first Half Marathon in October, there's no way I'm going to stop running just because I can see my breath and maybe a few flakes here and there. I'm cold weather running! I've lost almost 40 pounds with MFP and I recommend it to all of my readers at www.runningsforthebirds.blogspot.com!

Anyone else? :)

Replies

• taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Yeppers! I did my first 5k in May, and then did Warrior Dash in October. I'm determined to do Tough Mudder in September and a half sometime early next year. I hate the dreamill so outside in the cold I must go!
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My wife and I love running in the cold weather. Everyone we know looks at us like we are crazy. Glad to know we are not all that strange after all.
  • countrymom1
    countrymom1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I am running the 10K Turkey Trot tomorrow morning and I have been thinking, after tomorrow, now what? I'm going to keep on keeping on. I have to have a goal, though to keep working toward something .... half-marathon in February? Yes!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I achieved my first 5k in the summer and my first stress fracture in September - I'm hoping there will still be some winter left before I'm able to run again!
  • meganmorsey
    Options
    I love running in the cold! I tend to go faster because I know that the faster I go, the warmer I am. I'm doing my first 5k race tomorrow and then an 8k the following weekend. I've been running for a short time and I'm just starting to get into races. I don't like the treadmill either, so outside it is... all winter long :)
  • ninamm3
    ninamm3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Good for you! We don't have the space for a dreadmill so it's out for us too! WTG on your 5K!
  • ninamm3
    Options
    That's awesome. My hubby is a runner too! You know what they say? Couple that run together, stay together. 12 years and still going strong. ;)
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I run all year long. Coldest ive ran was in 17 degree weather. Hate the dreadmill and prefer running outside. The only time i wont run is if its icy or the plows havent been out yet to clear the roads
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I run thru the cold months. At first I thought I was nuts for doing so, but dressed properly, it makes for some enjoyable runs.
  • Bellini500
    Bellini500 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I dont think that chilly weather will deter me, but at the moment I can only run in the dark! Otherwise people laugh and point at me (I'm not being paranoid, even my daughter saw them do it!). Hopefully by the time it gets light again I wont be such a lumpen scarlet sweating mass and people will stop laughing as I lumber past!
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone!! :happy: Anyone who can run is a total inspiration to me. I seem to have a complete shut down once I hit the 5k mark... (I know some of this is psychological as well as the actual ow ow ow!) I will keep at it though - I've recently been told you have to run several times a week for 6 months before you start to enjoy it. Up until now I've only dragged myself out once a week, so I'm changing tactics to see if it works!

I have to say though, I much prefer running in the winter. Keeping a cold face seems to allow me to kid myself I'm not that knackered for a bit longer. The summer 'beetroot face' days just seem like a bad dream.... :blushing:
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'm with you only much slower, with much less distance and a thin scarf over my mouth ;-) So, you could say 50% with you! Haha
  • ninamm3
    Options
    It usually takes a 5K for my body to get going, it's my 3 mile warm-up...once I get passed that wall I fall into my groove. Had I never pressed through it the first few times, I would've never found it!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Yup up at 5 am to run during the week and it is COLD! LOL Training for my first marathon.
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    thanks, I will definitely check out your blog. I ran yesterday and litterally froze. got home and my legs were bright red and burning (it was less then 20 degrees here). I will definitely have to buy some warmer running tights..
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Y'all are my heros!! I ran yesterday in 60 degree weather & decided that I needed to do something about my breathing in so much cold air! :blushing:

Granted, I've only just started jogging for 2 miles straight although I've been doing a combination walking/jogging all throughout the heat in the summer. I figure if I could make it through the summer doing it at 1pm when the temps were cresting over 102 degrees, then I can do it in the cooler weather.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Also training for my first marathon so the cold winter runs are a daily event. Though I seem to be slowly adding layers of clothing, my hands feel like they're going to drop off!
  • gentsevetzak
    gentsevetzak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I like cold weather runs, the park is more tranquil now and i don't get overheated anymore.
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My run last sunday was in inches of snow and some ice on a trail it was 34 degrees and I absolutely loved it:) I posted several places about it including facebook because I actually thought I might like this kind of running better? I might be crazy:)
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run in the cold and hate running in the Summer!! Since I live in Montana, I see lots of folks running in the snow and ice. It is so tranquil when it snows and it's beautiful. I find it pretty funny that someone thought 60 degrees was too cold - heck for me 60 degrees is bordering too HOT!! LOL!! Single digit weather running was the norm for me the past two years while I was training. You just have to dress for it - layers, hat and gloves. When I first started, I thought I would have a problem breathing in the cold air, but it doesn't seem to bother me at all.

I hope you find cold weather running as exhilerating as I do!!