wiiFit - worthIt?

Options
Hi,

Qucik question. Is the WiiFit worth getting for someone who is reluctant to go to the gym? Or what about one of the other consoles perhaps, PS3, XBox?

Replies

• misskitty69
    Options
    I love my wii fit, not that I use it as much as I should. I use the Wii fit plus and do step aerobics., S few of the other games have the fun factor too so its less like excersise. Go for it :smile:
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I love it because my kids can take part with me. I normally use it as a warm up before i do a outside run, or a elliptical work out.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I don't have it myself, but a friend of mine uses and loves it!
  • dusk1977
    dusk1977 Posts: 295
    Options
    I love the wii fit and only realised just how much when we had to send it away for repair last week, I do wii step, jogging, hula hooping, boxing and also enjoy all the fun games and yoga and strength moves. As someone who doesn't go to the gym it works wonders for me.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    we love ours and use it, Just the other day I put my HRM on burned over 400 cal in a hour I was surprised it was a great work out. We use WII Fit plus and Biggest Loser
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Wiifit is very low impact/low intensity. Most of the exercises are very 'halting' in nature or have very short durations. Probably the only 2 exercises on it that will get your heart rate up amount to stepping on and off the balance board, or running in place with the wiimote in your pocket. Oh, and the hula hoop if you can do that.

I found I burned more calories just walking for the same amount of time. YMMV.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    One of my in-laws completely rejected her Wii fit when it told her she was fat...................
    Her report
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I have Wii Fit, but I didn't stick with it. The exercises don't burn a whole lot of calories, but they can be fun. I don't have an Xbox kinect but I could see how that system would give you the most bang for your buck in terms of exercise.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Wiifit is very low impact/low intensity. Most of the exercises are very 'halting' in nature or have very short durations. Probably the only 2 exercises on it that will get your heart rate up amount to stepping on and off the balance board, or running in place with the wiimote in your pocket. Oh, and the hula hoop if you can do that.

I found I burned more calories just walking for the same amount of time. YMMV.

I found the strength training exercises and the yoga poses very helpful.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I use my wii fit more now that the weather is getting colder. Plus I have gotten other workout games for it such as ea sports and just dance. I find it to be a helpful tool. Wii fit you can walk (stepping up and down) while you watch tv.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i have the wii fit and the xbox kinect. if youre going to spend the money, go for the kinect. the games cost the same amount of money but the kinect has more "bang for your buck" so to speak in terms of the calorie burnage. we dont use our wii that much anymore which sucks cause it was so freakin' expensive and we go thte kinect in a study me and my daughter are participating in and also right now the xbox kinect is having a big sale - and not just on the dreaded black friday...just totally for the holidays.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    We got a Wii Fit Plus last winter and it was very helpful when it was too cold to walk outside.
  • amberl10
    amberl10 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Wii Fit is fun but you won't burn many calories doing it because each exercise/game is only a couple minutes long at most unless you do the running. I love my EA Sports Active for Wii much better. They came out with a More Exercise for EA Sports Active and I intend to get that one after Christmas.
  • KaraMiaCafe
    KaraMiaCafe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My sister has lost over 70 lbs playing wii fit, wii sports, wii zumba and just dance. I started playing Just Dance for 45-60 min every day a month ago and I've lost 9 lbs so far! Wii or xBox Kinect is worth investing it... for those who like to play instead of "exercise", like me... it's a great way to get moving and have fun! I have wii fit and wii fit plus also... love them both... but because I have always loved to dance.... Just Dance 1, 2 and 3 are the best choice for me. I play all of them... zumba too! You might try seeing if you have a friend or neighbor that has it and will let you give it a try and see how you like it before buying.
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I would invest in the Wii Active 2 program instead. I find it very challenging and there is a 90 day program that you can do that starts from a beginner fitness to advanced. You can also make your own programs. I designed a 50 minute boxing/aerobics/strength program for myself that burns high calories and boy is my face red when I am done.
  • CaptainSwab
    Options
    The wii fit isn't that great for calorie burn.

In stead I would go for walk it out for the wii. That game is fun and you are constantly walking.

Or the just dance games are awesome if the person you are looking for is into rythem games.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's not that great of a calorie burn. But it is a lot of fun, and if you're not going to go to the gym it's definitely better than sitting home watching tv. Plus, you can get your kids, spouse, friends into it with you because it's a lot of fun to play.
  • Felbsies
    Felbsies Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Does the wii calculate calories burned and/or heart rate? How do you know how much you are burning?
  • tcdawley78
    tcdawley78 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It depends on your fitness level... When I first got wiifit, I was very inactive, and I set up a routine (it let's you stack exercises so you don't have that pause between each one), and it really got me up to a more active level!! I lost 100+ lbs, and switched to the biggest loser on the kinect... WAY more intense!! I would never have been able to handle where I am when I started... But, the biggest loser DOES test your fitness level, and sets your program based on that, so it would probably be a lot less intense if I couldn't handle it... I also have the biggest loser for the wii, but don't like it as much... Also, kinect adventures is fun, and definitely gets you sweating!! :-D
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    To be honest. No. But that's just for me and my opinion. This won't be true for everyone.

I have one, because a friend gave it to me. I think it's rather expensive, and while it's certainly better than sitting on the couch and playing another video game, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Why do I think this?
    Because this is free:
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

HOWEVER. If you enjoy it and stick with it and use it, then go for it! I think a key is to find something you like and enjoy that will also let you push yourself. If the Wii Fit will do that for you, then more power to you! I will never hate on what someone else finds to do that produces fitness results! I hope you find what works!