Foods to Avoid for thanksgiving part 2

Options
Its' not the one day I'm worried about it's the many days afterwards. My family makes so much food now that I we have to eat it like 5 days afterwards for lunch and dinner. And just being at home for winter break ( from college and my break last till January) last year I gained 8 pounds from November when I came home till january when i went back to school. I don't do good when I'm home from school because my family eats very unhealthy. Even veggies my mother slabs like half a stick of butter in there. So that's what I'm worried about gaining 8 pounds again while i'm home from break and how thanksgiving and christmas and christmas cookies and all of that junk is going to start adding up again like last year. So what should I do?? should I continue to eat them days afterwards (for thanksgiving) my family. I'm nervous for the whole break thanksgiving is just one of those days in the break that makes me even more worried. I hope I'm making sense lol

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Try to work really hard at portion control (with no second helpings at a sitting) regulating your times for eating (not grazing all day and night) and do something while home to burn off the calories. Walking, going out dancing (with few drinks and lots of water). Be creative and enjoy the holiday.
  • rubystar07
    rubystar07 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You are making sense.

I ask my mother to put a serving of veggies aside for me before she adds butter to the dish. She is not pleased about it, but I don't let up. She then makes me mash my own potatoes, steam my own green beans, etc.

I think another (difficult) key is to eat as slowly as you can. It takes about 20 minutes for your brain to tell you that your stomach is full, and surely one serving, not 2nds or 3rds will fill you up if you eat it slowly and enjoy.

It is hard when people do not know that you really need their support. They are just seeing their own perspective and point of view. Don't take it personally, just do your best!
  • jagar07
    jagar07 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    you make sense, no worries :) As for the conundrum I would say eat small portions on turkey day and let your family eat the leftovers. Find something else to eat for yourself and when asked about it remind your family that you are trying to live healthier. Maybe they will find you as an example for themselves :) Hope this helps!
  • ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I hear you - part of the weight I have now is from college! There are some things you can eat that are good for you - turkey, for instance, is very lean. See if your mom will make a small bowl of veggies just for you - little butter. Most moms are happy to make whatever their kids like. Small amounts of stuffing, depending on how your mom makes it, can be okay.

Unfortunately, most of the "good" stuff is high in calories - pies, cranberry sauce, buttery rolls, etc. I'm hoping to avoid these temptations, too!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the actual holiday. Even with the leftovers, you can put together a 'healthier' meal. Turkey or ham can be used for a sandwich wrap or to top a salad. You can watch your portions and keep them smaller. As for the cookies, have a few and stop. Just don't keep eating them. Just because the rest of your family is eating one way, doesn't mean you have to copy them.
  • holzjw1482
    holzjw1482 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the liquid calories.
  • NuMe46
    NuMe46 Posts: 128
    Options
    Weight Watchers teaches that Thanksgiving is just one day not a season. Eat your Thanksgiving dinner with you family then the next day make the same good choices you have been making. Don't let anyone make you feel like you have to eat something just because it is there. You can do it.
  • janeitg
    janeitg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Think up a reward to give yourself if you stick to your plan. Do Not Eat anything you don't want to eat. In other words, don't give in to pressure to eat to please others. Only you have to live with the results. Best wishes to you.
  • lejess
    lejess Posts: 63
    Options
    Last weekend I actually made Thanksgiving dinner for my boyfriend and I. I took the left overs and portioned them out into what he could eat (which is waaay more than me) and then I took my portion and made small plates of it and packaged them in the fridge that way. Of course, I did the cooking so I tried new healthier versions of classics. But I was still able to enjoy our left overs while keeping my calories in check.
    Have you thought about volunteering to help cook while your home? Maybe (after Thanksgiving) offer to cook your family a meal, and make it all healthy, just dont tell them that you didnt sautee the veggies in a pound of butter. lol! But seriously, once they see what you can do for fewer calories, maybe your fam would be open to trying some healthier options while your home. Lead by example, dont feel bullied into going against your diet. If you gained back 8 pounds, thats probably about 2 months worth of work to take off. Do you want to have to do that because you didnt speak up with your family? I know, easier said than done, but at the very least you could try.
    Good luck!!
  • montiy
    montiy Posts: 32
    Options
    Try to work really hard at portion control (with no second helpings at a sitting) regulating your times for eating (not grazing all day and night) and do something while home to burn off the calories. Walking, going out dancing (with few drinks and lots of water). Be creative and enjoy the holiday.

This is really good advice.
  • montiy
    montiy Posts: 32
    Options
    Weight Watchers teaches that Thanksgiving is just one day not a season. Eat your Thanksgiving dinner with you family then the next day make the same good choices you have been making. Don't let anyone make you feel like you have to eat something just because it is there. You can do it.
    ...and this is really good advice, too. Enjoy the meal fully on Thanksgiving Day, but then don't keep stuffing yourself for days afterward. Keep logging what you eat, and stay under your calorie goal beginning again the day after Thanksgiving.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Why don't you take control of some of the cooking and shopping? That way you introduce some better options and take control of your diet. If they want to continue to eat that way they can add the butters and oils at the table instead of in the kitchen.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Good advice not just on the holiday proper..
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/ss/slideshow-naughty-list-of-holiday-foods

You don't HAVE to eat the leftovers just because they're there. If the family is having Thanksgiving round 7- opt out and make your own food. You must get over the idea that just because it's on the table or in the fridge you MUST eat it. It's simply not true. Practice a little self control, avoid things that are notoriously calorie laden and you'll be fine. Just make sure you keep up on the exercise and LOG EVERYTHING.
  • fabulousfebe
    Options
    good advice from everyone!! Enjoy your day and don't give in to peer (family) pressure. :drinker:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Its' not the one day I'm worried about it's the many days afterwards. My family makes so much food now that I we have to eat it like 5 days afterwards for lunch and dinner. And just being at home for winter break ( from college and my break last till January) last year I gained 8 pounds from November when I came home till january when i went back to school. I don't do good when I'm home from school because my family eats very unhealthy. Even veggies my mother slabs like half a stick of butter in there. So that's what I'm worried about gaining 8 pounds again while i'm home from break and how thanksgiving and christmas and christmas cookies and all of that junk is going to start adding up again like last year. So what should I do?? should I continue to eat them days afterwards (for thanksgiving) my family. I'm nervous for the whole break thanksgiving is just one of those days in the break that makes me even more worried. I hope I'm making sense lol

I can guarantee a good portion of that 8lbs was WATER WEIGHT - not body fat (The Thanksgiving table contains a hell of a lot of refined carbs and refined carbs make your body retain water...and sodium and also cause a lot of inflammation in the body). And veggies cooked in butter is a good thing. (I'm Primal/Paleo). It's not the fat that makes you fat. It's the bread and the potatoes and the cookies and the pies and all the high-carb, high-sugar foods sitting on that table. Then only take healthy leftovers. (I dropped 4lbs of water weight in 24 hours recently - sugar sends the scale number skyrocketing - as soon as I lay off of it the number drops fast.)

I plan on bringing my own sweet potato (instead of the high-sugar sweet potato casserole made with candied yams). My sweet potato will be swimming in butter. I'm making a Primal dessert (Apple-Bacon Upside down cake - made with Almond meal and coconut palm sugar). And no leftovers going home here. I will be bringing coconut oil to give the turkey some fat. And hoping there will be some red meat there since I eat more saturated fat than any other fat.

Worry and stress is very bad for weight loss. Don't worry and just enjoy.

and I agree about the liquid calories.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Good advice not just on the holiday proper..
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/ss/slideshow-naughty-list-of-holiday-foods

You don't HAVE to eat the leftovers just because they're there. If the family is having Thanksgiving round 7- opt out and make your own food. You must get over the idea that just because it's on the table or in the fridge you MUST eat it. It's simply not true. Practice a little self control, avoid things that are notoriously calorie laden and you'll be fine. Just make sure you keep up on the exercise and LOG EVERYTHING.

None of my household care about eating healthy or counting calories. My Mother-In-Law is generally a horribly-unhealthy (not even tasty most of the time) cook and the food in the fridge generally consists of crazy high carbs and lots of grease (she thinks it was only the occasional fried foods that caused her quadrupal bipass). I always have to take only certain parts of meals or make something quick and healthy myself. Tonight I turned down a big slice of garlic bread and my Father-In-Law got offended (apparently they only use whole-wheat and healthier for you margarine!). Believe me, I also have TWO THANKSGIVING meals to attend coming up... Learning to stay away can be done, self-control is key!
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Reward yourself for one day! Anything in moderation is good, plus it is a holiday, and no-one should feel bad for overindulging for 1 day. As for leftovers, only take what you want. I am planning on bagging things into individual portions and freezing them so I don't feel inclined to eat the same food for the next 4 days. My husband is not a leftovers person, so it puts all the pressure on me.
  • whip67
    whip67 Posts: 32
    Options
    I give myself one day a month to "write off". I just enter my max calories and forget about it. Last month was my anniversary dinner with my wife. This month will be Thanksgiving day. Next month Christmas. If you get right back on schedule the next day, you won't suffer (besides being really full that one day) any lasting effects. I plan on logging calories the rest of my life. This has been the easiest way to lose weight that I've tried. I'm down from 270 to 242 in two months just from tracking calories and exercising a few times a week (walking 3 miles at a time).

If you feel like you have to extend your Thanksgiving eating, get some of the Smart Ones Bistro Turkey with mashed potatoes meals. Tastes good and only 200 calories!

11526266.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Ohh I feel you, leftovers are even better than the meal to me! Portion yourself out a lunch and dinner for the next 2 days.... Lots of turkey, a small amount of the good stuff like stuffing and potatoes topped with marshmallows(omg yum). Have dessert ON thanksgiving but not the days afterwards. Regular breakfasts.... Sit down to regular meals and eat from your portioned Tupperware. No grazing and no randomly heating up abowl of stuffing! This advice is to me as much as it is to you. Enjoy!
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it on the actual day of Thanksgiving, eat sensible portions and enjoy the day. For the leftovers, use turkey or ham to top a big salad, make a wrap, or put it in an omelette. As others have suggested, ask your mom to set aside portion of the veggies before she adds the butter - or ask her to do what I do and leave the butter on the side for people to use as wanted. As a cook, I would suggest doing this ASAP to avoid her becoming stressed at a last minute request. Maybe even offer to help cook!

Alternatively, after Thanksgiving day you can buy yourself a few bags of frozen veggies and some rice, use that to round out the leftover turkey and ham. Use some of the side dishes, but sparingly. Look up the calorie counts for some dishes (these won't be totally accurate, but you just want a general idea anyway) and see which are higher in calories and which aren't so bad.

Just being aware of your portions and trying to eat a balanced diet should help you not gain those 8 pounds this year! You are not the person you were last year and you are trying to do something good for yourself. Log, log, log and get outside and move! If you exercise appropriately, you could theoretically eat everything you ate last year and still lose weight. Feel free to friend me if you want some ongoing support!