Look Out, Thanksgiving Dinner Cometh!

Options
Ok, we all know what's coming tomorrow. Turkey and stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, maybe a sweet potato casserole, a green vegetable of some sort, and pie for dessert, quite possibly covered with a mountain of whipped cream. Mega calories, mega fat. Mega delicious LOL

I'm thinking it's all about portion control since I know darned well that I won't be able to say NO to having at least a little bit of everything on the table. Perhaps it would be best to have a large portion of green vegetables like freshly steamed broccoli, brussels sprouts, green beans or peas and 1/4 cup of everything else. A tablespoon of cranberry sauce, a couple tablespoons of gravy, and a 1" wedge of berry pie without whipped cream. Is it possible?

Trying to make a plan here, envisioning my dinner plate. It would be nice to hear how some of you plan to cope with tomorrow's menu.

Happy Thanksgiving!
:drinker:

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I'm eating as much as I possibly can.
  • SilverGTV8
    Options
    I think it is! I actually already logged what I expect to eat for tomorrow just to see how it pans out... I can have a good meal (bit of everything) with the family and a bit of pie and ice cream for diner with 80cals to spare! Just need to make sure I don't graze on other things through out the day....
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I'm with Rock! I'm eating what I want. BUT...I did read a fun fact last night. The average american eats 7100 calories on Thanksgiving! Oh My!! So I will try to sneak in low fat subs when I can. Then Friday I will kick my butt in the gym!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I'm amung the rare, I'm dieting on thanksgiving. i got a ball right after so no gorging myself. i'm not upset i never liked the food. not a fan of most of the dishes. plus thanksgiving is suppose to be about family and giving thanks for your blessings, not just eating. but you know americans...everything is about food here. lol. i'll def enjoy xmas and my 30th bday the 29th though.
  • season1980
    season1980 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I say allow yourself some treats.....just dont take any home! Thats my plan, eat turkey and some roasted asparagus and a salad, then 1/4 cup of dressing, a Jamie Eason Pumpkin Protien Bar (they are yummy and healthy) topped with a dollop of sugar free whip cream :)
    And it will all stay at my moms house! Except for my protein bars!!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

^ This....it's one day, I plan to enjoy it!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    *ahem. dear mfp users: tomorrow is the American holiday celebrating gluttony. there will be delicious food available everywhere you turn. if you can't afford to make your own, there are charities at every corner willing to provide this for you. just like the four seasons, this happens every year. only you can control what goes in your mouth, and what you do with the calories you consume. decide what's more important to you - celebrating with your friends and family and to hell with counting for a day, or cutting the celebration short and working off the calories, or enjoying time with friends and family and choosing healthy, well portioned options. the moral of this post? STOP ACTING LIKE THERE IS SOME EVIL CONSPIRACY TO FORCE FEED YOU PUMPKIN PIE!!!!!
  • shellyc7182
    shellyc7182 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I actually already logged what I expect to eat for tomorrow just to see how it pans out...

I did this too. I've got some calories to spare, and it's supposed to be a beautiful day... I intend on taking an afternoon walk!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I'm amung the rare, I'm dieting on thanksgiving. i got a ball right after so no gorging myself. i'm not upset i never liked the food. not a fan of most of the dishes. plus thanksgiving is suppose to be about family and giving thanks for your blessings, not just eating. but you know americans...everything is about food here. lol. i'll def enjoy xmas and my 30th bday the 29th though.
    I suppose in other countries they don't have meals at their celebrations.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I tried that a few weeks ago at our early Thanksgiving party and I ended up completely miserable. So I will be using some moderation. Not worth the pain.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I tried that a few weeks ago at our early Thanksgiving party and I ended up completely miserable. So I will be using some moderation. Not worth the pain.

LOL, I did eat until I literally couldn't stand up straight 2 years ago...I don't plan to go quite that far
  • MelissaW1978
    MelissaW1978 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin pie isn't so bad if you skip the crust!!! I plan to indulge on at least one slice. Thanksgiving is just one day a year. I say " have a little of everything" and get back on track on Friday!
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I plan on stuffing my face with turkey, mashed potatoes, biscuits all covered in gravy and pumpkin pie with whipped cream (the grocery store gave it free with the purchase of pie!! w00t) ... not necessarily in that order!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
  • sheilacampbell
    sheilacampbell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There is no dinner for me, so easy to avoid :)
  • lovesweetlove
    Options
    I was just coming to post about how worried I am for the holiday. This weekend we had a family party and I had way more banana cream pie than I should have and I felt so guilty. I hope that doesn't happen tomorrow as I am still working hard on portion control and am only halfway to my goal. I am more nervous about it all and am not confident I can do it. I will be the 'only one' of the entire family and it's my husbands family so I don't like them much anyway. I'm glad everyone is so confident, I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving and good luck.
  • Cookiehart
    Options
    Hi I agree with you!, I'm trying not to stress over gaining weight during the holidays, yet it's right there at the front of my mind.
    I still have a long way to go to get to my goal and I've worked so hard over the past few months to get to where I am now.
    I hope you have a happy thanksgiving too.:flowerforyou:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I went ahead and entered my dinner foods for tomorrow in 1/4 cup portions, including half a slice of pie. It came out to around 575 calories total, so I'll have a good idea of what I can eat during the day. Salad, piece of fruit or grapes, a few walnuts and some yogurt. Best skip out on any starchy carbs since there'll be plenty at dinner time.