Degenerative Arthritis and exercising

Options
I have degenerative arthritis in borh knees.. basically that means no cartlidge.. I live in ALOT of pain daily. My job is pretty demanding as I am a director of a child care center which keeps me running all day long from class to class and so forth. By the end of the day, I can barely stand to walk.. My question is.. does anyone have any suggestions on excersice I could even consider? Any suggestions with the pain or exercise would be soooo appreciated. I am living proof.. LOOSE THE WEIGHT.... if not.. you may end up like me in such excruciating pain every day....

Replies

• Pocketangel
    Options
    I have degenerative arthritis in borh knees.. basically that means no cartlidge.. I live in ALOT of pain daily. My job is pretty demanding as I am a director of a child care center which keeps me running all day long from class to class and so forth. By the end of the day, I can barely stand to walk.. My question is.. does anyone have any suggestions on excersice I could even consider? Any suggestions with the pain or exercise would be soooo appreciated. I am living proof.. LOOSE THE WEIGHT.... if not.. you may end up like me in such excruciating pain every day....
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a pool? That would be my best advice...either on your own or some sort of water aerobics. I know a couple of my friends who have had knee replacement surgery and they LOVE water aerobics! Just a thought.....check your local rec center if your gym doesnt off them!
    Blessings!
    Kathey
  • Mattysmomma
    Options
    Water Aerobics!
  • lgochya
    Options
    I too have very bad knees, 7 surguries, next time will be a double replacement for me. And I have been recently diagnosed with MS. My advise is glucosamine!! 1500 mg. per day is what my Dr. recommended, for me it helps. But in terms of exercise, Leslie Sansone "walk away the pounds", dvd's are very good. You can take them at your own pace. Also get your self some hand weights, a medicine ball what ever there are plenty of execises that don't require walking, floor execises, leg lifts, sit ups, may be google exercise for chair bound people. What ever it takes keep moving! Swimming is definately the best but maybe not accessible for you. I live in a small town, at the local hotel, they have a pool that is open for the public to use also. It's worth looking into. The more wight you lose the better they will feel! Best of luck!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    1st let me say, I have a very close friend who has the same problem and she has never been more than 30 pounds overweight. It can be genetic.

Anyway, the water exercises do wonders for her! You can also do sitting exercises for the arms. I have seen really hot guys that are in wheelchairs, so I know it can be done!

Good luck to you my friend. :flowerforyou:
  • Pocketangel
    Options
    Yes.. I have started taking Glucosomine.. I can not take the chondordin ( not spelled right) because it has sulfur in it and I am allergic to sulfur.. I have been able to tell a lil bit of difference taking the Glucosomine. Plus the fact that I have been drinking water like CRAZY!!! I was not sure how soon you could tell if the Gluco was working.. I figured maybe it is a combo of both.. I do have a membership to the Family Y.. I am just in so much pain by the end of the day I can not hardly handle walking from my car to my house let alone a parking lot all the way to the door of the Y.. I am hoping in the next few months , I will have lost some to be able to walk more comfortably for water aerobics.. Thank you so much for all of your reccomendations.. I so appreciate it...
  • Mattysmomma
    Options
    I too have very bad knees, 7 surguries, next time will be a double replacement for me. And I have been recently diagnosed with MS. My advise is glucosamine!! 1500 mg. per day is what my Dr. recommended, for me it helps. But in terms of exercise, Leslie Sansone "walk away the pounds", dvd's are very good. You can take them at your own pace. Also get your self some hand weights, a medicine ball what ever there are plenty of execises that don't require walking, floor execises, leg lifts, sit ups, may be google exercise for chair bound people. What ever it takes keep moving! Swimming is definately the best but maybe not accessible for you. I live in a small town, at the local hotel, they have a pool that is open for the public to use also. It's worth looking into. The more wight you lose the better they will feel! Best of luck!!

I work on an Ortho-unit at a local hospital. My advice is don't bother having new knees if you aren't going to lose the weight and keep it off. I know it sounds harsh, but why put yourself thru all of that work and recovery if you will have to go in a year to do it all over again? Good luck all of you!
  • Pocketangel
    Options
    Well.. my dr. said i am too young and most orthos would not do a knee replacement at my age because I would have to do it al over again... Besides the fact... I am a single mom with no health insurance. That is also.. why I told everyone.. Loose the Weight.. do NOT go through the suffering I have and am going through.. And.. I have lost some.. probably about 8 pounds in the last 2 weeks... so.. every lil bit helps and I will keep trying...