Do these calories seem realistic?

Options
Lord, I'm so happy I didn't grow up in the Cold War era. I would have probably bombed St. Petersberg. Anyway, back in The Real World with my (pretty healthy) school cafeteria, I STILL seem to be coming up a bit short on calories. Soo...does it seem like I've portioned them out right, and that it's a realistic amount? Do I appear to be leaving out something critical? (Any carbs are exact, self-measured portions) I lack a scale, which I got a bit dependent on over break. So I'm worried that I'm missing some vital chunk of calories in my log and actually eating 4,500,000 calories a day. :tongue: Because Jesus, it feels like I'm always eating.

Lately I've been ascribing to that Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle idea of 5 meals a day. I just noticed I've been naughty on fruit today, but that's rare for me. Anyway, here is what I ate:

BREAKFAST: 287 calories
Nature Made - Vitamin - Fish Oil , 1 tablet 13cal
Generic - Hard Boiled Egg - No Yolk, 2 egg 34cal
Kashi - Golean Cereal, 0.5 cup 70cal
Clover - Lowfat Cottage Cheese, 1/2 cup 100cal
Trader Joe's - Berry Medley (Frozen) , 0.5 cup 140g 53cal
Kroger - Skim Milk, 1.68 oz 17cal

PETIT DEJEUNER: 149 calories
Trader Joe's - Light Mozzarella String Cheese Sticks, 1 piece 60cal
Apples - Raw, with skin, 0.5 large (3-1/4" dia) (approx 2 per lb) 55cal

LUNCH: 294 calories
Broccoli - Broccoli Steamed, 1.5 cup 45cal
Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, roasted, 0.5 breast, bone and skin removed 142cal
Generic - Quinoa, Cooked, 0.33 cup 107cal

DEJEUNER: 265 calories
Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, roasted, 0.5 breast, bone and skin removed 142cal
Women's Health - Sauteed Greek Kale, 1 cup 78cal

SUPPER: 230 calories
Lamb - Cubed for stew or kabob (leg and shoulder), lean only, cooked, braised, 3 oz 190cal
Birds Eye - Farm Fresh Mixutres - Italian Blend, 1 cup 40cal

LE GRAND TOTAL:
1,225 calories

My beverages were 1 cup of unsweetened coffee (hence the skim milk) and a lot of water.

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Lord, I'm so happy I didn't grow up in the Cold War era. I would have probably bombed St. Petersberg. Anyway, back in The Real World with my (pretty healthy) school cafeteria, I STILL seem to be coming up a bit short on calories. Soo...does it seem like I've portioned them out right, and that it's a realistic amount? Do I appear to be leaving out something critical? (Any carbs are exact, self-measured portions) I lack a scale, which I got a bit dependent on over break. So I'm worried that I'm missing some vital chunk of calories in my log and actually eating 4,500,000 calories a day. :tongue: Because Jesus, it feels like I'm always eating.

Lately I've been ascribing to that Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle idea of 5 meals a day. I just noticed I've been naughty on fruit today, but that's rare for me. Anyway, here is what I ate:

BREAKFAST: 287 calories
    Nature Made - Vitamin - Fish Oil , 1 tablet 13cal
    Kashi - Golean Cereal, 0.5 cup 70cal
    Clover - Lowfat Cottage Cheese, 1/2 cup 100cal
    Trader Joe's - Berry Medley (Frozen) , 0.5 cup 140g 53cal
    Kroger - Skim Milk, 1.68 oz 17cal

PETIT DEJEUNER: 149 calories
    Trader Joe's - Light Mozzarella String Cheese Sticks, 1 piece 60cal
    Apples - Raw, with skin, 0.5 large (3-1/4" dia) (approx 2 per lb) 55cal

LUNCH: 294 calories
    Generic - Quinoa, Cooked, 0.33 cup 107cal

DEJEUNER: 265 calories
    Women's Health - Sauteed Greek Kale, 1 cup 78cal

SUPPER: 230 calories
    Lamb - Cubed for stew or kabob (leg and shoulder), lean only, cooked, braised, 3 oz 190cal
    Birds Eye - Farm Fresh Mixutres - Italian Blend, 1 cup 40cal

LE GRAND TOTAL:
    1,225 calories

My beverages were 1 cup of unsweetened coffee (hence the skim milk) and a lot of water.
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    You eat your cereal without milk, then?

Looks like you're spacing everything out pretty evenly! Even though you feel like you're always eating, none of your meals are very calorie dense, so it looks like you're doing good. Do you find it hard to meet your daily carb requirements or no?
  • m_bordeau23
    Options
    It looks right to me.

It's crazy to me how much more I can actually eat when I'm eating healthy!
    :smile:
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at your lamb entry. 3 oz is pretty much nothing, so I'd take another look at that one. Other than that everything looks to be in order. Remember to meet your calories or at least come very close every day so your body does not go into starvation mode.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    i fyour calories are still abit low for your day, just up your portions a bit- like have the whole apple, leave the yolk in the egg (I don't know how you can eat a hard boiled sans yolk :sick: to each his own :flowerforyou: ) Little things liek that will boost your calories without you really having to eat a whole lot more.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Where are your good fats? Those cals are fine if you are sedentary, but I expect you're not. Try adding some almonds or walnuts, or some peanutbutter with your apple.:smile:
  • Mausie
    Mausie Posts: 38
    Options
    No offense ... but I didn't like the way your post started. I'm not quiet sure what the Cold War Era has to do with your calories, and what bombing St. Peterburg aka Leningrad would have done for you. *shrug*

Other than that ... make sure you also count the little things ... a gum here, a fiber bar there ... they also add up ...
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    No offense ... but I didn't like the way your post started. I'm not quiet sure what the Cold War Era has to do with your calories, and what bombing St. Peterburg aka Leningrad would have done for you. *shrug*

Other than that ... make sure you also count the little things ... a gum here, a fiber bar there ... they also add up ...

Sorry Mausie, I didn't mean to offend. It was a joke--America is famous for how paranoid it got during the Cold War--you know, that "the bomb" would come crashing down at any moment. I'm super paranoid about what I'm eating, so the joke was that if I lived in the Cold War, I probably would have lost it and bombed St. Petersburg in a crazed preemptive strike. I'm sorry sarcasm does not always travel well over the internet, but thanks for the tips!

Bah, if you got cottage cheese, you don't need milk in your cereal!

Good point about the lamb. I actually haven't eaten it yet, but I'll check it more closely. It's a few small chunks of meat.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    wow, this looks like alot of food to me, I don't eat this at all and I have 1299 calories....I keep thinking I am doing something wrong.....................