Breathe in, breathe out

icandoit
icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
Breathe in, breathe out - Fit Tip - proper breathing during weight training - Brief Article
Men's Fitness, May, 2002
Sometimes it's easy to get so caught up in lifting that you forget to do what comes naturally, like breathe. Holding your breath in the weight room (unless ill response to protein-powered flatulence) has adverse effects on your body, namely, an increase in blood pressure and a loss of strength. Here's the lowdown on how to suck wind properly when pushing tin:

* Exhale on the positive portion of the movement (i.e., the movement away from the body on pushing exercises such as bench presses, overhead presses, etc., and the movement toward the body on pulling exercises such as pull-downs, biceps curls, etc.).

* Inhale on the negative movement (toward the body on pushing exercises such as bench presses, overhead presses, etc., and away from the body on pulling exercises such as pull-downs, biceps curls, etc.).

Replies

• icandoit
    Breathe in, breathe out - Fit Tip - proper breathing during weight training - Brief Article
    Men's Fitness, May, 2002
    Sometimes it's easy to get so caught up in lifting that you forget to do what comes naturally, like breathe. Holding your breath in the weight room (unless ill response to protein-powered flatulence) has adverse effects on your body, namely, an increase in blood pressure and a loss of strength. Here's the lowdown on how to suck wind properly when pushing tin:

* Exhale on the positive portion of the movement (i.e., the movement away from the body on pushing exercises such as bench presses, overhead presses, etc., and the movement toward the body on pulling exercises such as pull-downs, biceps curls, etc.).

* Inhale on the negative movement (toward the body on pushing exercises such as bench presses, overhead presses, etc., and away from the body on pulling exercises such as pull-downs, biceps curls, etc.).
  • Patwin55
    Patwin55 Posts: 100 Member
    Good tips! Thanx!
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Thanks for the reminder, proper breathing is so important, and I find myself holding my breath during abs half the time!:wink:
  • icandoit
    You are welcome:flowerforyou: