Strength training: beginner questions

Options
I'm 5'5 and 129 lbs. I'm ok with my overall silhouette but I want to decrease my body fat. I'd like to start strength training seriously! I have a few questions...

1) I do not have time to join a gym. Are bodyweight exercises as efficient as lifting weights/using machines at a gym? I only have dumbbells and a mat and do not plan on buying more equipement for the time being. Can I still get a good full body work out? What about circuit training DVDs such as Jillian Michaels'? Do they qualify as "real" strength training?

2) Calories and nutrient macros. I've set my macros at 40-30-30 but often I end up over in carbs and under in proteins. With a past of eating disorders, I'm not ready to follow a very strict diet because I'm afraid I will fall back in my old habits. In other words, I need my daily treats. :-) Is strength training compatible with a so-so diet or should i totally forget about it? (I'm usually ok with meeting a calories goal provided it's not too low)

3) Can anyone recommend a good website with all the basics for strength training beginners?

4) Will I have to say goodbye to my boobs? I already went from a generous C to a B and I'm afraid I'm going to lose the girls completely!

Thanks!

Replies

• tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com is FABULOUS and FREE
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I wouldn't follow percentages. I go by macros:

1g per lb of body weight for protein
    .35 x body weight for minimum fat
    rest of calories come from whatever, mainly carbs
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Strength training is never a bad thing. If your diet is just so-so results could be slower coming, but I certainly wouldn't avoid lifting simply because my diet wasn't perfect.

As far as the exercises... yes, you can get a good workout with just dumbbells. Google dumbbell workouts to get an idea for what exercises you can do with your equipment.

As far as Jillian and what not goes... if you're going to lift, then lift. If you want cardio then do cardio. Those DVDs/programs are fine, I just wouldn't call them lifting (at least not the ones I've seen). Lifting is heavy weights and fewer reps with rest between sets.

Google Mark Rippetoe Starting Strength. There are variations on his program, the but key exercises are gold.

• sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options

4) Will I have to say goodbye to my boobs? I already went from a generous C to a B and I'm afraid I'm going to lose the girls completely!

Thanks!

I would say tightening up your chest muscle will actual help give your girls support and the illusion of size, even if you have lost the fat. If you have a gym nearby that offers bodypump, I highly recommend it. it is an all over weightlifting class that is guided by an instructor. Great way to get started.
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm new to lifting and have been using the ChaLean Extreme DVDs. You lift pretty heavy weights but only need dumbbells. I highly recommend it.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,151 Member
    Options
    Body weight training is what I mainly do. I have weights, but prefer bodyweight. There is a body weight training group here, albeit not too many members yet. Just remember gymnasts to the best of my knowledge only use body weight training and they have amazing musculature. The difference with weights is you can do it quicker, and you need less creativity to increase the resistance. It can be done using body weight.
  • hofdog
    hofdog Posts: 269 Member
    Options

Great site.
  • amyers35
    Options
    BUMP! good questions and good info! looking forward to hearing more..
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    what do you mean by strength training using the body? is this like Pilates, Yoga and callanetics? I don't have access to an accessible gym but have some small handweights, but have difficulty keeping hold of them for long due to involuntary movement which causes my hands to flex involuntarily so I drop whatever I'm holding unless there's a way to fasten it to my hand eg. I use wii boxing gloves to keep wii remote on hands.

I've got some resistance bands too and found a 20 min exercise video of someone doing these exercises sitting so I can do them in my chair.. are these types of strength training using body?
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    what do you mean by strength training using the body? is this like Pilates, Yoga and callanetics? I don't have access to an accessible gym but have some small handweights, but have difficulty keeping hold of them for long due to involuntary movement which causes my hands to flex involuntarily so I drop whatever I'm holding unless there's a way to fasten it to my hand eg. I use wii boxing gloves to keep wii remote on hands.

I've got some resistance bands too and found a 20 min exercise video of someone doing these exercises sitting so I can do them in my chair.. are these types of strength training using body?

Bodyweight exercises are strength training exercises that do not require free weights; the practitioner's own weight provides the resistance for the movement. (because Wikipedia phrases it way better than I would). Examples: push-ups, squats, lunges, crunches...

I'm no expert so i can't answer the resistance band question, sorry!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone who responded. Got a lot of great info! Will spend tomorrow checking the various sources you recommended!
  • shakybabe
    Options
    Is there a list of exercises that are classed as bodyweight exercises anywhere? so I can work out which ones i can do or adapt?
  • sonotphat
    Options
    bump! great information!
  • maryloo2011
    Options

+1!! Been on there for about an hour, copying images to throw on my iPod so I have them with me at the gym (the exercises, that is).

Also - http://www.shapefit.com/training.html

and more specifically: http://www.shapefit.com/body-weight-exercises.html
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too, thanks for asking the question and thanks to those that answered.
  • FoodMage
    Options
    *bump* for later
  • heaths4285
    Options
    Hey,

Bodyweight training is fine for your strength training, but if you end up getting equipment Bodybuilding.com or Muscle and strength. com is awesome for advice on weightlifting and nutrition!!!!
  • shakybabe
    Options

+1!! Been on there for about an hour, copying images to throw on my iPod so I have them with me at the gym (the exercises, that is).

Also - http://www.shapefit.com/training.html

Thanks I'll check them out! :happy:

and more specifically: http://www.shapefit.com/body-weight-exercises.html
  • denorios
    denorios Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bumping!