Healthier Homemade Big Mac w/pics!

Options
jdelisle
jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
I try not to eat fast food anymore, but I always end up craving a Big Mac. I was determined to make a healthier version at home, so after some experimenting, this is what I came up with:

http://www.cookingwithjax.com/2011/05/homemade-big-mac-with-special-sauce.html

My husband and I have made this a few times now, and each time it turns out to taste exactly like the original (without the stomach ache!)

To cut down on calories and fat even more, use less sauce and skip the middle bun.

Now if only I could figure out how to duplicate a healthy chicken nugget, I'd be set! ;)

Enjoy! :)

Replies

• GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You had me at Big Mac lol
  • jdelisle
    Options
    You had me at Big Mac lol

Lol! :)
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat fast food anymore, but I always end up craving a Big Mac. I was determined to make a healthier version at home, so after some experimenting, this is what I came up with:

[img]http://www.cookingwithjax.com/2011/05/homemade-big-mac-with-special-sauce.html[\img] My husband and I have made this a few times now, and each time it turns out to taste exactly like the original (without the stomach ache!) To cut down on calories and fat even more, use less sauce and skip the middle bun. Now if only I could figure out how to duplicate a healthy chicken nugget, I'd be set! ;) Enjoy! :)[/img]

do you have the food stats? Can you share?
  • mary_kate23
    Options
    saving this one!!
  • hopecol
    hopecol Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • manvsfood
    manvsfood Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Looks great.... can't wait to try it!
  • GouchisGirl
    Options

[img]http://www.cookingwithjax.com/2011/05/homemade-big-mac-with-special-sauce.html[\img] My husband and I have made this a few times now, and each time it turns out to taste exactly like the original (without the stomach ache!) To cut down on calories and fat even more, use less sauce and skip the middle bun. Now if only I could figure out how to duplicate a healthy chicken nugget, I'd be set! ;) Enjoy! :)[/img]

I just looked at it and OMG! Super amazing.... but no nutrition info. I guess we could figure it out on our own by putting in the database, but that would take a few minutes. :)
  • Lekkie84
    Options
    Yum!

I personally wouldn't try to replicate the chicken nugget! You're far better off trying to make a healthier version that suits you! My BF works in a meat processing factory which makes a lot of fast food products and while chicken nuggets are made of chicken, you don't want to see the fillers etc that gets put into a chicken nugget to make it look the way it does!
  • jdelisle
    Options
    Yum!

I personally wouldn't try to replicate the chicken nugget! You're far better off trying to make a healthier version that suits you! My BF works in a meat processing factory which makes a lot of fast food products and while chicken nuggets are made of chicken, you don't want to see the fillers etc that gets put into a chicken nugget to make it look the way it does!

I know, yuck! That is partially why I decided to stop eating at most fast food restaurants.
  • jdelisle
    Options

I just looked at it and OMG! Super amazing.... but no nutrition info. I guess we could figure it out on our own by putting in the database, but that would take a few minutes. :)

I'm working on the nutritional info for you guys as we speak :) It should be on the blog shortly.
  • GouchisGirl
    Options

For anyone who cares I took a shot at putting it in the data base and this is what came out.....

Ok home made 516 calories 22 g fat, and 1292 mg sodium (Theres still almost an entire days worth!) and 704 cals, 43.7 g fat, and 1148 mg sodium from McDonalds
  • jdelisle
    Options
  • jdelisle
    Options

For anyone who cares I took a shot at putting it in the data base and this is what came out.....

Ok home made 516 calories 22 g fat, and 1292 mg sodium (Theres still almost an entire days worth!) and 704 cals, 43.7 g fat, and 1148 mg sodium from McDonalds

Thanks!

I came up with similar calories as well. If you want to reduce calories even further, omit the middle bun and save a little over 80 calories a serving :)
  • jdelisle
    Options

Nutritional information is now on the blog :)
  • JaxieManson
    Options
  • nbaxter1104
    Options
    super excited for this... considering I am in LOVE with big macs :)
  • StoneColdLiger
    StoneColdLiger Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This looks really good. I'll have to try it soon. I haven't had a Big Mac in quite a while.
  • WADA58
    Options
    WOW JUST ATE ONE TODAY THE CALORIES OH MYLANTA I DONT BLAME YOU FOR TRYING. HAVE TO TRY YOURS.
  • rughead06
    rughead06 Posts: 4,291 Member
    Options
    So going home and trying this.