Help me plan a work out!

Options
Hey,

I have hit a wall with working out. I did really well at first on the bike and swimming, and I felt it the next day. Now that I have been working out for a while, it doesn't seem to do as much as it did before. I tried C25K, but I think I am still too heavy to really do it. I am 5'2 and 260lbs. Any ideas for what I can do at the gym to help me loose without hurting myself or wasting time.

Thanks!

Sarah

Replies

• PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Start on the treadmill with a slight incline like 1%-1.5%. Increase your walk speed over time. You will build endurance and feel great.

Also try the elliptical or arc trainer.

Does your gym have classes (like group classes)?

Are you lifting weights - because building your own circuit train can be really fun ;)!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I jsut read in either Women's Health or Self that the rowing machine is amazing for burning calories
  • bigwildonion
    bigwildonion Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Are you ready to try free weights?

That has been the best change for me, because you can start at whatever level is right for you at the time, you can work up gradually, and there are endless variatious to keep the body challenged.

If free weights interest you, I would say get some help if you are unsure of how to start.
  • lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi

Do you belong to a gym - if you do now would be a good time to try out some classes...

I started at 326lbs with gentle swimming

As i droped weight I added in bike and cross trainer

Then when I got to about 270lbs I started classes

I now do Bodypump, Bodycombat abd RPM (Spin) 3 to 4 times a week to vary my exercise

It has really helped me stay focused and have made a few friends at the gym as well

I am 5ft 7" by the way

Lucy
  • sarahsedaii
    sarahsedaii Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    @bigwildonion - What are free weights?
    @awesomeJobe - I am too short for the elliptical. LOL! My feet come off of it and it really hurts my back.

My back limits a lot of what I do since I am very "well blessed" and if I do a rowing machine or elliptical my back aches for days.
  • kavitabile
    Options
    I would try power yoga also.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great start - you can challenge and vary the routine and increase speed as you get more fit. Keep at it and eventually you'll be able to run. The suggestion of adding free weights is a good one (they're the small dumbbells in the weight room, not the long bars with the plates).
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    @bigwildonion - What are free weights?
    @awesomeJobe - I am too short for the elliptical. LOL! My feet come off of it and it really hurts my back.

My back limits a lot of what I do since I am very "well blessed" and if I do a rowing machine or elliptical my back aches for days.

The elliptical machine hurt my back on first because I am also well blessed (they shrunk but NOT a lot).

Try the treadmill!