Is it safe to eat 1,000 calories a day and no more?

Options
Seriously, I don't want to eat more than this... because it is all I can do to make myself eat this much. I don't feel hungry at all, that's why I don't want to eat. But I want to lose weight and I'm not sure if my body will allow me to if I don't eat enough. I am 5' tall and 196 pounds, age twenty, female.

Sorry for asking everyone so many questions! I have been trying to figure out everything on my own and I'm not really able to.

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    No, I would say it isn't healthy.

And you probably aren't hungry because you're only eating 1,000 calories per day.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    No. It's not healthy.
  • P90XCertifiedCoach
    Options
    NO!!!!
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    No, you need to eat but the right foods.
  • heatherdills
    heatherdills Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I think you can eat less calories than 1200 per day if you are under 5'3". Does the software tell you to eat more? It didn't get onto my Mom when she was under 1200 (she's 5'3"), but mine screams at me if I don't consume at least that many (I am 5'7").
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I must say that your posts kinda concern me. You seem to have a deep rooted issue with weight and food and honestly may really benefit from finding a professional in your area to go talk to. 1000 calories a day doesn't give your body enough fuel to live on and it just simply isn't healthy.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    No, it's not healthy. If you are having trouble eating only 1,000 calories a day, you might be cutting your fats too low. Your body needs some healthy fats to be able to absorb many vitamins.
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    No. You should eat your allotted amount of calories each day with a minimum of 1200. Your body will go into starvation mode, trust me, I did exactly what you are doing until someone told me this and that's when the weight started coming off. Well, that and exercise. Good Luck!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I am 5'-2" and have been losing while averaging anywhere from 1200 to 1400 calories per day. Generally in the 1300 range and I can't imagine living on less food!
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I think your body will switch into starvation mode and make it very hard for you to lose weight. Try to eat your calories in protein and few carbs, that way it doesn't seem so much but gives you the fuel you need. You could try zigzagging too, over your allowance one day, under the next and normal on 3rd day( or any combination of those 3days). I find this kick starts my body when I plateau. And if you exercise you really should try to eat the calories you burn, honestly it helps to losevweight, odd as it seems. Good luck.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I think you get the gist, the answer is a resounding NO! 1,000 is not even enough if you were in a coma, why would it be ok for you?
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Of course it is unhealthy. Why don't you want to eat more? Starving yourself does not work, will cause binges. Yo-yo dieting is not fun.
    Eating too low of cal increases muscle loss and makes it hard to get all the macros/micros you need.
  • becky2967
    Options
    i would say no. a female needs 2,000 aday. even if you ate 2,000 but burned 500cals each day you would lose weight. my gp recommended 1,500 unless you really need to lower it in which case you should consult with your doctor. mine screams if i eat under 1,200 too. im 5'9. i think cutting back even 200 per day with increased exercise would help lose 1lb p/w.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    MFP is so popular because so many people have been successful doing what it suggests.

Even though you are short you still need adequate nutrition for your body to function properly (your brain burns calories, you know!). Try what it suggests. If the volume of food is difficult - eat more calorie dense foods (nuts, avocados, olives, etc). What you've logged so far is not high quality food - especially considering that your total caloric intake is questionable.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    No toddlers eat 1000 calories a day. Large deficits leads to muscle mass loss, which leads to a depressed metabolism....it'll make it harder to lose weight and easier to gain it back.

I'm sure you want to see weight loss results now, but it is in your best interest to have a moderate calorie reduction (i.e 1 to 1.5 lb per week).
  • Sarah_LM
    Options
    If you only eat that many calories a day, after a while you will stop being hungry, its your bodies way of coping in times of starvation, which is why thats why you feel full on such a low calorie intake. However, it is very difficult to get enough nutrients at that few calories. If you are struggling, maybe try increasing your calories a little each day - an extra banana will give you approx 100 calories, a smoothie could give you lots of nutrients and calories, or some nuts, something calorie dense but that are good for you body. Increase a bit each few days until you are meeting your minimum requirement.

My doctor told me that I should cut down to 1,000 calories a day but thats because I have a lot to lose. People who are very obese can survive on that few calories, they just use their fat to survive. I would say, if you want to follow a diet that low calorie and are significantly overweight, visit your doctor, because they can recommend support for a VLC (very low calorie diet) and how to do it safely.
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    If you aren't starving (constantly hungry) or showing other signs of being unhealthy, yes.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    IF (big "IF") you are going to eat 1000 calories a day, then they have to be quality calories. Fruits, veggies, proteins, comlex carbs, all the good stuff, etc.

Also, don't forget to log drinks, oils, butters, ketchup, all condiments, all drinks. Those calories add up! When you are reviewing your diary for a trend, make sure to review dayssss worth of data and don't make assumptions off of one day worth of logging.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    NO NO NO
  • thinkingthingirl
    thinkingthingirl Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem as you. i find it so hard to hit my target calories. I only eat when im hungray,if im not then i dont force it down.