Why your opinion isn’t always necessary

Options
2»

Replies

• Mechel79
    Mechel79 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think people want others opinions or they wouldn't ask the question.

If ppl are asking for an opinion that is different. I taking about post that say " i am taking this medication anybody also taking it please add me" or" I am starting this program " ect..... the unwanted or unwarranted comments aren't necessary

It depends though. If the OP is seriously thinking on embarking on a course of medication or programme that could be potentially unpleasant, destructive and simply dangerous to your health, I think people should certainly point it out, even if the OP gets offended.

I'd rather feel offended than end up in hospital or worse....

Agreed, but there is a difference between being constructive and being negative....
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    In my world my opinion is always necessary.. :bigsmile:
  • Mechel79
    Mechel79 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My understanding is everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.

thanks for quoting me from yesterday! This is very true- It does give me a better understanding- there are two kinds of ppl in life contributors and contaminators- I want to do all I can within my power to be a contributor
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Nothing here is really necessary. Counting calories isn't necessary. This forum isn't necessary.

Yet, if I saw someone post, "I have taken a habit of putting mashed potatoes in my car's gas tank and driving it blindfolded. Anyone else like to put mashed potatoes in their gas tank", I would most likely not be able to help but to reply and suggest that mashed potatoes in the gas tank is not the best way to fuel a car.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Nothing here is really necessary. Counting calories isn't necessary. This forum isn't necessary.

Yet, if I saw someone post, "I have taken a habit of putting mashed potatoes in my car's gas tank and driving it blindfolded. Anyone else like to put mashed potatoes in their gas tank", I would most likely not be able to help but to reply and suggest that mashed potatoes in the gas tank is not the best way to fuel a car.

And driving blindfolded is detrimental to your fitness goals.
  • leslielt
    leslielt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think people want others opinions or they wouldn't ask the question.

If ppl are asking for an opinion that is different. I taking about post that say " i am taking this medication anybody also taking it please add me" or" I am starting this program " ect..... the unwanted or unwarranted comments aren't necessary

It depends though. If the OP is seriously thinking on embarking on a course of medication or programme that could be potentially unpleasant, destructive and simply dangerous to your health, I think people should certainly point it out, even if the OP gets offended.

I'd rather feel offended than end up in hospital or worse....

I agree.

@ Mechel79 there are people out there who are somewhat mean at times but for the most part everyone is pretty nice. Also some are being sarcastic and others take them seriously and go off.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    My understanding is this community is dedicated to offering a friendly environment… Often when I open a post that has a specific question or tip there are tons of negatives. I totally understand if it’s just a generalized topic (have at it) but really is it necessary to put a damper on things- makes me not want to add to any post and too me that is defeating the entire purpose of this site.
    Just seriously, be aware of the mood. If everyone else is all “Hell Yeah THIS!” and then you go, “No no! I’m for THAT!” out of nowhere, it just feels a little odd, you know?

You don’t have to “weigh in” on everything.
    Unless you can edify…
    Unless you can educate…
    Unless you can encourage…

OK done venting---
    Well another issue is that when's it's information to educate, I've seen many an OP answer in anger. For instance when some says "I've put on 5lbs of muscle in a month" and then it's refuted by actual research that's peer reviewed to show it's not true, then the OP has a fit and starts talking like they were ransacked.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    My understanding is this community is dedicated to offering a friendly environment… Often when I open a post that has a specific question or tip there are tons of negatives. I totally understand if it’s just a generalized topic (have at it) but really is it necessary to put a damper on things- makes me not want to add to any post and too me that is defeating the entire purpose of this site.
    Just seriously, be aware of the mood. If everyone else is all “Hell Yeah THIS!” and then you go, “No no! I’m for THAT!” out of nowhere, it just feels a little odd, you know?

You don’t have to “weigh in” on everything.
    Unless you can edify…
    Unless you can educate…
    Unless you can encourage…

OK done venting---
    Well another issue is that when's it's information to educate, I've seen many an OP answer in anger. For instance when some says "I've put on 5lbs of muscle in a month" and then it's refuted by actual research that's peer reviewed to show it's not true, then the OP has a fit and starts talking like they were ransacked.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

how DARE you not tell someone exactly what they want to hear? this is the internet, good sir. i say "good day" to you.
  • leslielt
    leslielt Posts: 113 Member
    Options

And driving blindfolded is detrimental to your fitness goals.

that depends it might help you lose a few pounds - lol