Weight Gain (Motivating yourself to continue)

Options
Hi,

I have implemented into my routine a "normal" day every 14 days so that I can eat exactly what I want and know the longest I will have to wait is another 14 days therefor making it easier to stick to the routine.

I had my last day off on Saturday and on the Monday I had not gained any which I was quite happy with.

I have stuck to my routine although recently I have been eating more Carbs (Bread etc) but still sticking to my 1200 cals per day.

Today I seem to have gained 3 pounds since Monday which is quite demotivating and I imagine everyone will go through this at some point in their journey.

What I think could be a potential explanation and I apologise for going into details but I havent been to the toilet in the last 2 days which could explain the gain as my body is not disposing of the waste other than through the burnt energy at the gym.

Am I the only one? I guess what I am asking is has anyone else met their goal but had a few hiccups along the way i.e. an unexplained weight gain?

And also can this be my "day off" just catching up with me now? How long does it take your body to store the fat from food consumed and vice versa how long does your body take to lose the fat that you have burned through excercise, is it the next day, days, weeks?

Thanks

Replies

• hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Just for "fun" weigh yourself before you use the bathroom and then after. It might be interesting. It's happened to me and I was amused. But I don't think you ate 10,000 calories over your maintenance level and gained. Also depending on how long you've been at 1200, it might be time to increase your calories. Not drastically but bit by bit. I'm up to 1700you ish and still losing so it's not going to undo months of hard work. You could do a little bit and see how your body responds.
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    not sure but i like the day off idea. i can't imagine it to cause that big of a problem. i think the weight gain is all the food still in your intestines.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Don't know the answer to you questions, but I would begin by taking one day to eat prunes, lots of fiber, no bread, and drink plenty of water. Take a relaxing walk...if you can.
  • Mark1984Scotland
    Options
    Just for "fun" weigh yourself before you use the bathroom and then after. It might be interesting. It's happened to me and I was amused. But I don't think you ate 10,000 calories over your maintenance level and gained. Also depending on how long you've been at 1200, it might be time to increase your calories. Not drastically but bit by bit. I'm up to 1700you ish and still losing so it's not going to undo months of hard work. You could do a little bit and see how your body responds.

Thanks, I might take it up to 1500 and see what happens just incase I have put myself in starvation mode :(

I will weigh myself before and after haha, but it could be due to the food in my intestines as the lady said above because that is 2 days worth of food that hasn't left my body.

Thanks guys
  • Mark1984Scotland
    Options
    Don't know the answer to you questions, but I would begin by taking one day to eat prunes, lots of fiber, no bread, and drink plenty of water. Take a relaxing walk...if you can.

Funny you should say that, I normally have Special K etc for breakfast which contains fibre and the last 2 days I have been running late and missed breakfast and just had lunch.

Thanks
  • iamstrong1
    Options
    Hey there friend,

I am assuming this post is not about intentionally trying to gain weight but rather to lose it. I am on the opposite side of the coin (very skinny, trying to put on weight) but I think that what I wanted to say to you will still apply because they are two sides of the same coin.

I think one of the most challenging things about making a change in the way your body appears is that it requires a consistent change of lifestyle. Eating less or more frequently, choosing better foods, paying attention to the nutrients you are putting in your body, etc. This means that you will eat out less often, go to the grocery store to shop more often, or otherwise do things that you may not necessary enjoy.

But I believe that it doesn't have to be that way. I think the thing that has helped me the most is by making a conscious choice to continually focus on the good. It is very easy to have a set-back and then consider giving up because you feel like everything you are doing is pointless. But by feeling this way, you are walking in a direction that is contrary to where you want to walk. Having 1 set-back does not mean that all your efforts are for nothing. The biggest detriment to achieving your goal is allowing yourself to convince yourself that you cannot get to where you want to be.

When you travel from one city to another, do you convince yourself when you take a wrong turn that you cannot make the trip and turn around? No. You simply head back to the point you were at before you took a wrong turn and then keep going. Or, perhaps if you are lost, you will gather tools (your GPS, phone, mapbook) to help you figure out how to get back on the right track. My point is that no matter what happens, if you focus on what you are doing right, rather than what you are doing wrong, you will thus be on the highway that is taking you to the city you want to reach.

Yesterday I was under my calorie goal for the day. When I submitted the entry in MyFitnessPal, there was a message saying that I had logged in and was under my desired calorie goal. The program also told me that if everyday were like today, I would weigh X weight in 5 weeks. Well X weight is my current weight! That is very discouraging! But I woke up this morning and instead of focusing on how bad it was that I was under my current calorie goal yesterday, I analyzed what I did wrong and then made a choice to do something differently today.

You will get there my friend, but not if you give up.

Hope this helps,

iamstrong5
  • Mark1984Scotland
    Options
    Hey there friend,

I am assuming this post is not about intentionally trying to gain weight but rather to lose it. I am on the opposite side of the coin (very skinny, trying to put on weight) but I think that what I wanted to say to you will still apply because they are two sides of the same coin.

I think one of the most challenging things about making a change in the way your body appears is that it requires a consistent change of lifestyle. Eating less or more frequently, choosing better foods, paying attention to the nutrients you are putting in your body, etc. This means that you will eat out less often, go to the grocery store to shop more often, or otherwise do things that you may not necessary enjoy.

But I believe that it doesn't have to be that way. I think the thing that has helped me the most is by making a conscious choice to continually focus on the good. It is very easy to have a set-back and then consider giving up because you feel like everything you are doing is pointless. But by feeling this way, you are walking in a direction that is contrary to where you want to walk. Having 1 set-back does not mean that all your efforts are for nothing. The biggest detriment to achieving your goal is allowing yourself to convince yourself that you cannot get to where you want to be.

When you travel from one city to another, do you convince yourself when you take a wrong turn that you cannot make the trip and turn around? No. You simply head back to the point you were at before you took a wrong turn and then keep going. Or, perhaps if you are lost, you will gather tools (your GPS, phone, mapbook) to help you figure out how to get back on the right track. My point is that no matter what happens, if you focus on what you are doing right, rather than what you are doing wrong, you will thus be on the highway that is taking you to the city you want to reach.

Yesterday I was under my calorie goal for the day. When I submitted the entry in MyFitnessPal, there was a message saying that I had logged in and was under my desired calorie goal. The program also told me that if I everyday were like today, I would weigh X weight in 5 weeks. Well X weight is my current weight! That is very discouraging! But I woke up this morning and instead of focusing on how bad it was that I was under my current calorie goal yesterday, I analyzed what I did wrong and then made a choice to do something differently today.

You will get there my friend, but not if you give up.

Hope this helps,

iamstrong5

Very wise words, thanks for your input, I think everyone just needs a little encouragement from time to time and someone to tell them that they will get there.

Thanks
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Everyone's weight fluctuates, that's why it is better not to weigh yourself every day. Having said that I do, but I use the charts here to recognise that there are ups and downs, and the line doesn't consistently go down every day, as long as in the longer term there is a loss, all good.

I find that even if I stay under my calories, if I have too many white carbs (white bread, my weakness), it will put my weight up. That's just me, but my body (as opposed to my mouth), doesn't like them and I have to stay away.

You only fail if you give up, everyone has setbacks, it's how you handle them that decides your future.

GG