Is it ok to dress up for a holiday even if no one else does?

Options
CoryIda
CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
Dumb and not very important question I am going to ask anyway:

We are going to my in-laws' house for Thanksgiving dinner and it's very informal, but I *love* dressing up and feel like holidays are one of the only opportunities I ever have to indulge (we're pretty broke so I we don't get to go on dates and fun and fancy things very often).

Would it be really awkward if I wore this dress tomorrow?
2193703_664.jpg

I worked hard to get fit and although it might sound bad, I sort of relish the opportunity to show off a bit, especially since my hubby's parents really didn't like me when I was fat.

Replies

• lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... Not sure I like your in-laws if the reason they didn't like you was your weight. But, that's neither here nor there. I guess my question is, how are they going to react if you show up in the dress? I think you look fabulous, and a person should dress how they want to dress- which means I'd go for it. BUT, if your in-laws are shallow they might think you're trying to show everyone up with your accomplishment. It's a sticky road.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    It's your party. Why not? I'd freeze in that dress.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... Not sure I like your in-laws if the reason they didn't like you was your weight. But, that's neither here nor there. I guess my question is, how are they going to react if you show up in the dress? I think you look fabulous, and a person should dress how they want to dress- which means I'd go for it. BUT, if your in-laws are shallow they might think you're trying to show everyone up with your accomplishment. It's a sticky road.
    His parents love me now and like to parade my accomplishment around. It's actually kind of odd.
    It's your party. Why not? I'd freeze in that dress.
    I live in Tucson, Arizona. Even though it may rain tomorrow, it's also supposed to be over 70 degrees.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    We (Americans anyway) don't dress up like we used to and I miss it. I am usually the only one dressed nice for holidays at my house and I am the hostess lol.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I always dress nicely, if other people are slobs and have no pride in their appearance then it makes no difference to me, I look fabulous regardless lol
  • NicoleMarie0409
    Options
    Wear the dress! You look beautiful in it. I dress up for holidays too.
  • allie864
    allie864 Posts: 298
    Options
    Although I see what Imelangley is saying - I still say wear the dress. You worked hard & got great results! Plus, you look fabulous in the dress! Wear what makes you happy, especially now that you really get to pick the things you like after losing the weight.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I always try to at least wear a nice sweater and dress pants for holidays. It's a special occasion, you can do what you like to make the day feel more special. :) If they're all showing up in cutoffs and muscle T's, I might rethink the dress, but if it's a jeans-type of affair, I think the dress would work all right.
  • ShelleyD81
    ShelleyD81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You've worked so hard, you deserve you wear something special & celebrate all your achievements!

I'm from the UK son I don't celebrate Thanksgiving but I understand how important it is, have a great day! :)
  • ehunte
    ehunte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Go for it! You wouldn't get much chance to show off...
  • KXanthos
    KXanthos Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Dumb and not very important question I am going to ask anyway:

We are going to my in-laws' house for Thanksgiving dinner and it's very informal, but I *love* dressing up and feel like holidays are one of the only opportunities I ever have to indulge (we're pretty broke so I we don't get to go on dates and fun and fancy things very often).

Would it be really awkward if I wore the dress in my profile picture tomorrow? I worked hard to get fit and although it might sound bad, I sort of relish the opportunity to show off a bit, especially since my hubby's parents really didn't like me when I was fat.

Go for it! Wear whatever makes you feel good!
  • Rebma_Legna
    Rebma_Legna Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel good, go for it! I personally like to think I'm never overdressed, it's those around me that haven.t risen to the occasion. Happy Thanksgiving and congratulations, your hard work has paid off! :wink:
  • 226Muriel
    226Muriel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    By all means, please wear that beautiful dress. You look absolutely stunning.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Wear it. :smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Wear it!!! :love: :love: :love: You have the right to bare arms. :wink:

I feel the same way. I love to dress up, but I live a jeans and sneakers lifestyle. So when it comes to holiday, I like having wearing something with a little shimmer, shine or sparkle. :happy:
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Most places I go I overdress, enjoy yourself and wear what makes you feel good.

GG
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that you're asking the question means you might be uncomfortable in that particular dress if noone else is dressed up. Maybe something a little more toned down--sweaterdress? Nice skirt/boots/sweater or blouse? A slightly more causal dress? I mean you look great, but you want to be comfortable in whatever you're showing yourself off in :)
  • RoosterB
    RoosterB Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Definitely wear your dress and have a great day with your family.
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    IMO
    dress as you wish! Respectfully because you are going to their house but I say as long as its in good taste then wear what you want.
  • hbart500
    hbart500 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I do that ALL the time when i go to my inlaws. They always tell me how nice i look and my hubby says why are you so dressed up?! haha