Planning ahead - outside walking/jogging in cold.

I live in Georgia so I have a month or so before it gets really cold but I belong to Curves ( no track or treadmill) and my house isnt big enough for a treadmill. I have never walked during the cold. What do I need to stay warm? I am wearing plus sizes so sometimes it hard to find exercise stuff in big sizes ( like fat people dont exercise).. Thanks for any advise.

Replies

• danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    I'm in way colder climate than what you would have but layers is where it's at and I follow the rule of dress for 10 degrees warmer than it is. If you're going along at a good pace, then you will stay quite warm. I personally wear a long sleeve technical shirt and a fleece running jacket in the cold weather (for between 32-40 degrees F)
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Can't really help with the outside gear, but I would say layers. However, you might want to consider walking dvd's for indoors as an alternative. I have used both Leslie Sansone and Biggest Loser. I think i've picked up most of them for about $15 at Target and Walmart. With both of these all you need is a dvd player and about 3 square feet of space. They aren't complicated but you do get a good calorie burn without freezing. I'm in Minnesota and while I know people will say they do walk/run outside all year long; where I live, the roads are just too icy to take that chance.
  • wmlpd6
    wmlpd6 Posts: 135
    As previous posters said, it's all about layers. A big part depends on A) your tolerance for the cooler temps B) how warm you get when you start walking. You know the answers to those questions better than anyone. Enjoy your walks!
  • for here (Seattle) it's really important to have some sort of layer over your mouth and nose as the cold air in your lungs make running HURT unless it's warmed somehow. also-good tread on your shoes and if you wear glasses, wear contacts if you can. having the layer over your face makes the glasses fog up and it's hard to see. that's a recipe for a sprained ankle.
  • For me If I keep my head, hands and feet warm, I can usually handle the cold - probably because the extra 75 pounds of insulation I've got are everywhere but those three places - lol!
  • samantha1953
    samantha1953 Posts: 156 Member
    I live in Northern Michigan. Everyone is right about the layers. You don't need any special clothing. When I walk in about 40 degrees I wear a long sleeve T-shirt, Polar Tech Vest and a Gortex unlined wind/rain jacket. I never do up the jacket unless it's really cold. The vest can be unzipped as needed. Some kind of gloves. I have long hair so in 40 degrees I don't wear a hat. If it's not windy this same outfit is good with maybe an extra layer down into the 20's. If it's cold AND windy...I'm inside by the wood fire! ;)
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    The Leslie Sansone videos are a REALLY great option to keeo you out of the cold but still get your heart rate up. If not, layers like everyone is saying. I am in Arkansas with the same kind of climate you have.....make sure your ears are covered and you have a scarf for over your mouth on really cold days. (That may just be be...slightly asthmatic in the cold.) Good luck, you can do it!!!!:heart:
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Wear layers and don't forget your head!

Rule of thumb is after you get dressed, go outside...if you still feel a bit chilly you are dressed perfectly, for once you start walking/jogging you will warm up...if you are warm enough to begin with you will be too hot as you go along.
  • Sweetchaos66
    Sweetchaos66 Posts: 59 Member
    Thank you all so much for the great advice. Happy Thanksgiving all!